It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

deadsy HB User
Question pregnancy and paxil

Hello everyone.. I just found out this morning that I am pregnant. I currently take Paxil for anxiety/depression... but I don't know if I can take this while pregnant. I plan to call my Dr. and talk with her about it... but in the mean time... have any of you ladies taken anti-depressants during pregnancy? I am afraid I will have to go off paxil... It has done wonders for me. I will do it if necessary... but I don't foresee quiting being easy. If any of you have any experiences with this... please share!! I appreciate it so much! Hope you are all doing well

deadsy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
Re: pregnancy and paxil

Do not stop taking your meds without talking to your doctor. A antidepressant is nothing you want to stop cold turkey.
I was on lexapro and though my doctor told me to stay on it I weened myself off with his permission after talking to him about it. I really wanted to go my pregnancy without it. BIG mistake we are obviously on these for a reason, well atleast I know that my familys predisposition to depression and anxiety I just need to come to terms with the fact I need these. During my sixth month I pretty much when into a tailspin and couldnt get myself out without going back on and seeking further help.
Also women who have anxiety and depression also are at risk for having pre-term babies, low weight babies and post pardom depression. With taking the meds the risks go down. I know a couple other women on this board who had the same issue as me and ended up going back on after a few months of hell. Honestly for me it would depend on why you are taking them in the first place if its for a short term reason then I would consider going off, but if you have been on for a long time I would talk to your doc.
I dont know if paxil is a class c drug or not but there are others that you may be able to switch too if its not, but I would definatly stay on if you feel you need it.

Oh and one more thing, internet searches can be great but also awful at the same time, they tend to always say the worst, its good for research but remember just go by what your doc says.
congrats and good luck
Meg

Last edited by rounsy222; 03-29-2006 at 07:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

You can switch to Zoloft or Prozac.These are safe during pregnancy.I am currently on Zoloft and can continue to take it.I suffer from bad anxiety without it.Check with your doctor first!Good luck!

Old 03-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

deadsy HB User

oh wow! Thanks for the responses. I did some research on my own and I definitely need to talk to my doctor. I am calling her today. This is worrying me now... I hope I haven't caused any harm to my little baby. I would feel so bad. But, I have faith everything will be okay. So you girls say lexapro, prozac, and zoloft are safe in pregnancy? Zoloft isn't covered on my insurance, sigh, but I used to take that and loved it. I guess I will see what the doctor says... I don't know that it will be wise for me to not be on anything. Especially with all of the stresses and anxiety about pregnancy. I'll let you girlies know what I find out.

deadsy

Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Brandy,
Sorry I didnt mean to sound like you wernt saying anything but the truth, I just didnt want her going off her meds without a doctor telling her too. Some people can have serious issues if they miss their doses and with the amount of hormones in a pregnant womens body its already screwed up.
I am taking prozac right now until the baby comes and it has a generic, good luck.
Meg

Last edited by rounsy222; 03-29-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
(female)

deadsy HB User

Okay, so I called my Dr.'s office this afternoon and asked to speak with my doctor, her nurse, or at least leave them a message. The receptionist wouldn't let me, just said she would schedule me an appoitment with the OB/GYN. They couldn't get me in any sooner than next Tuesday. So I was like, well... is it safe to take Paxil in the mean time? She consulted with someone else and said, "if you are worried, stop taking it and ask the doctor" and then hung up. I was ******! So, i don't know what to do now... I guess I could try to wean myself off of them... but I am not even sure how to do that. Sigh...

Closed Thread