It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
When do you tell work about your BFP?

Hello girls. I am only 5.5 weeks pregnant and won't have my first appointment until I am 10 weeks. I am not sure when I should tell my boss about my pregnancy. I am due 11/25.

Here is the situation - I work at a school where I am an administrator and teach a little bit (part time - 3 days a week in the afternoons). I am at a private school so that means we sign contracts every year (no tenure). My boss meets with each employee in June/July to go over raises and contracts.

I know my boss is going to want to know what my plans are once I give birth. Although I would love to stay home, DH and I aren't sure if we can swing it at the moment. I kind of want to keep my job, but I know having a baby will probably make me want to try and stay home. Either way, DH and I are not sure and don't know when we will be 100% sure. If my boss asks me, what do I say?

I don't want to leave my school high and dry, but I also do not want to have to give an answer to my boss anytime soon. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Re: When do you tell work about your BFP?

Hi Kel:

I wish I could offer you some advice, but I am currently not working. I am only working for a temp job right now while someone is on maternity leave and then I'm back out of work unless I score something soon. I'm in a different boat. I have a second interview today at a law firm near home and it sounds promising. I just don't know if I'm offered the position if I should tell them that I am pregnant or not. I mean I am only five weeks, so I hate to really TELL them that just yet, but I hate to spring it on them in two months down the road and look like a sneak.

If I were you, why don't you wait to tell them until you're sure what you want to do, and if you're not sure by then, just tell him you cannot plan that far in advance and you will have to wait and see how you adjust to motherhood, etc. before committing to whether you are going to come back or not.

Melly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Mel -- Don't tell them yet. For all they know, you may not even know yet that you're preggers.

Kel -- Don't worry about leaving them high and dry. Have your meeting this summer and get your contract. When you actually DO make a decision on whether you are going to quit, THAT's when you tell them. Not until then. You may decide later that you want to work after the baby is born (nothing wrong with that) and will need a job to go back to.

Thankfully, I quit my job in early March and have been successful at finding some work out of the house, so I don't have to deal with these problems (but they were going through my mind the whole time we were TTCing...)

Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

I told my job that I was trying to concieve, and low and behold, I got laid off! That happened around the 12 week mark. I'm still without a job as I've been honest with potential employers. No one really wants to hire you and now you are leaving shortly. I'm in my 7th month and doing some temp work to get by. I'm single, so having no job is not an option. I've given up on trying to find a perm job at this point. I'll have to wait until after the baby. I have some unemployment until then.

I wouldn't tell an employer I was with that I was pg until 12-16 weeks. No need. Wait until you are over the miscarrying stage and into your 2nd trimester. July is far off enough that you will be just at that stage then. Don't answer the question now. You aren't required, or even obligated to. I would in July however. Hopefully you will know what you and your DH plan on then. If you've been there long enough you should be okay. But you never know.

Good luck.

Closed Thread