It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Can I opt for a C-section?

is this allowed by most docs now? i've never wanted to give birth vaginally......not pregnant yet btw.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
(female)

newg HB User
Re: Can I opt for a C-section?

Just curious... why would you want a c-section? I used to think that too until I had a vaginal birth almost 5 years ago, then talked to people who had c-sections. It's sounds easier but in the long run I really don't think it is. The healing process is longer from what I hear and the women that I know with the exception of my sl have never been able to get there nice tummy back afterward. I changed my mind when I started thinking that they actually cut the muscles in your stomach. That doesn't sound like much fun to me. Think of trying to sit up or bend over or just about anything with NO muscles there. Anyway, that's what made me change my way of thinking...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Valo99 HB User

I had a c section and I got my stomach back.. took 3 months after the swelling went down. You just need to make sure to ask the doctor to sew your muscles up nice and tight. You can actually have a nicer stomach after a c section.
But recovery is diffucult and takes a lot longer.

I was knocked out the first time.. not thrilled how it's going to feel the 2nd, since my doc wont sedate me.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
(female)

AngelaSue HB User

I've had a C-section with my first 10 years ago, (it was an emergency one) and yes they cut the muscles, but I was able to still keep my tummy down with exercise. (Everyone is different though) There are difinitely pro's and con's to having a C-section, one of the con's that was told to me (since with this 2nd pregnancy I'm forced to have another C-section due to heart problems) was that if you want to have many children most docotor's reccommend that you only have up to 4 C-sections. Reason bieng; after awhile, you develop alot of scar tissue with each section, and when you become pregnant, the placenta tends to gravitate toward the scar tissue and attach itself, this can cause all kinds of problems, some even leading to complete hysterectomy. For myself, I can never have a vaginal birth due to my own health problems, so my husband and I can only safely have up to 4 children in all. Which is fine for me, my husband would like to keep going until we just can't go no more, but that just won't be the case with me.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

All the c-sections they show on Discovery and TLC show the doctors moving the muscle aside, not cutting through it.

Having just had back surgery in December and sporting a fresh 7 inch incision (affectionately referred to as my extended buttcrack) that itchs and is purple and nasty looking, I would say stay away from big cuts on your body if you can avoid it.

With an epidural you can avoid most of the major pain of a vaginal birth while not having to have major surgery.

I would only opt for c-sections if it was a last resort. I do have a friend that just opted for one, though, due to the fact that she didn't progress very quickly with her first and was in active labor for hours and hours and hours. She did the c-section this time (scheduled) and was happy about it.

To each his own, I guess.

There must have been a study or something released today because I saw teasers for stories on both the Today Show and the ABC Nightly News about women opting for c-sections (something like 30-35%). Apparently it used to be like 20% when only medically necessary.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Valo99 HB User

unfortunalty I have to have a c section where they u from the navel down. Those they do cut through the muscle. but i never got any sagging from the last one.

Closed Thread