It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User
hard time breathing?

Well the last few weeks, ive been having a very hard time breathing. its not constant, just out of the blue i wont be able to breathe right. Even if i try and eat when i get like this, i cant because if there is food in my mouth, i feel like i am suffocating and it makes it even harder. Even before i was pregnant, i would get like this but not very often. Lately, though, its come a lot more often. I have no idea how to control it or if its affecting the baby. Has this happened to anyone else or any opinions??

Old 03-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
Re: hard time breathing?

How far along are you, this happens, organs are moving and being shifted all over the place. Dont worry its not affecting the baby at all. I had this on and off through the whole pregnancy and now finally it got better, im assuming he dropped.
meg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

i am 24 weeks and this has been happening more often since i turned 21 or 22 weeks. is there anything you can do to help control it or anything? it scares me i sometimes feel like i am gonna die because its so hard to breathe

Old 03-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

I know how you feel, I would mention it to your doc but hes probably going to tell you its normal. Some days will be good and some bad, sadly your almost to a growthspurt time so Its probably going to stay bad or get worse before it gets better, but just remember its pretty normal.
Meg

Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

misguideddream HB User

That sounds very scary!
If the problem is severe, I would definitely recommend you talk to your doctor about the problem ASAP.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

I know what you're going through!!! Right when I hit the 20-21 week mark, I started having a hard time breathing as well. Sometimes it just feels as if I'm breathing through a straw, but it doesn't occur all the time. The doctor told me it's that my torso is short and my legs are longer and I'm carrying my baby boy high. He must not have a lot of space in there!

No matter what type of physical activity I do---I just have to take my time doing it---otherwise I lose my breath and it's very uncomfortable. Sad to say, it hasn't gotten any better either-- at least until the baby is born.

Just take it easy if you can!

Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

Thank you so much for all the replies..im glad to hear im not alone..it can be bad and i drink to drink a lot of water or eat something, but nothing seems to help. I dont go back to my doc. til april 21st but if it stays like this or gets worse, i will mention it to him. Do you think its because the baby is getting bigger and im not that big so hes kinda filling me out? hah..cuz im 5'2 and normally 110-115 lbs. now im 130 so i dont know if its cuz i wasnt big to begin with and hes growing pretty big?? or if it has nothing to do with that and just unfortunately happens to some women in pregnancy?

Old 04-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

candle66 HB User

I am at 26 weeks and having a hard time breathing.. I am in Texas and it's already very hot and humid here. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

I recently put a post up about this and dizziness that I felt out of the blue. I feel like I'm struggling to take breaths. I think the main thing is to stay calm when you begin feeling this way. It's easy to get nervous. I give myself anxiety sometimes when I feel this way.

The nurse told me that the loss of breath w/ the dizziness may be related to blood pressure or sugar. They are going to do my glucose test next week (at 16 weeks as opposed to waiting until 28). Try to stay calm, most importantly.

I had this w/ my first pregnancy as well but not that bad. Your hormones are fluctuating and your insides are moving all over and up and down.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #10
(female)

befer70 HB User

Hi Sara,
just wanted to mention that i've been experiencing shortness of breath since about week7! i'd find myself struggling catching air simply by talking to someone. it felt like i'd just finished running a marathon! so i'd just stop what i was doing (whether i was talking to somebody or not) and try and take a few deep breaths, which wasn't always easy, and it would get a little better. i'm now 13 weeks and it's still going on. i can only imagine what it will be like later on in my pg!! i'm not overweight or short, i'd consider myself a normal build.
i think part is hormones, part is the extra weight, and part is that we're producing more blood than usual. lot's of things happening in our bodies, which we tend to forget.
but i agree with another post, don't freak out when it happens, and if it gets worse, tell your doc for sure! OK, hope that helped.

B.

Closed Thread