It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
(female)

julsbabygirl HB User
Question Getting Back to Work

Being almost 4 months with my second child I am already thinking about when and how long I should take off of work. Hopefully if everything goes well I will only have to miss but a matter of days. What would be an appropriate estimate 2-3 days or a week?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Re: Getting Back to Work

Do you mean a "matter of days" before you have the baby, or after?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
(female)

happy2bamom HB User

Hello,

I don't know what you do or where you live but in Canada we get a full year off for maternity/parental leave. I am currently expecting my 4th baby and I would say you should be giving yourself a little bit longer than just 2-3 days after the birth of your baby. You will have a lot of adjustments and depending on your baby you may not get much sleep. Your body needs time to heal after having a baby. Realistically you should not be looking at returning to work for at least 2 weeks so you have a little time to heal and get a routine going at home for dealing with 2 little ones.

Good luck to you, Kathy

Old 04-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

julsbabygirl HB User

Wow! Canada gives you a year?? I wish they would do that here in the US.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by julsbabygirl; 04-03-2006 at 01:03 PM.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Like Kathy, I live in Canada and don't know how any country can treat the future of their country with so little respect but this isn't a political forum and I can only say I am glad that we don't have to worry here about how long (how short) our leave will be. I too would suggest taking atleast 2 weeks off, but really a month or 6 weeks would be preferable, especially if you plan to breastfeed. I found the first 2 weeks were hard with ds but the third week was the worst for me...my emotions kicked in big time then and I was pretty miserable and tired. Your body needs a minimum of 10 days to heal and deal I would say but you and your baby need time to bond and adjust to each other.
Out of curiousity, how do you find someone that is willing to look after a 2-3 day old baby. No one in my area would even consider taking an infant into childcare that was less than 3 months old.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
(female)

History HB User

I too wish I lived in Canada. That will be so nice to watch my lil' one grow and not have to worry about work. I believe you need to at least take 6-8 weeks off. Your body is going through so many changes and after the baby is born you need time to bond with your baby and get yourslef back together. I'm due the end of August and I'm planning to take at least 12wks off at this point.
Good Luck and Congrats!!

Closed Thread