It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
(female)

deadsy HB User
need suggestions on 'small meals'

Hi girls, I was just wondering if you girls can give me some ideas on some small meals to eat through out the day. Before I got pregnant, I usually ate 2-3 large meals a day... but now that I am pregnant, eating is making me sick! People keep suggesting to me to eat like 6 smaller meals throughout the day... but I am having a hard time in thinking what to eat! I work long hours in an office so this is challenging. Any advice would be appreciated!!

linsey

Old 04-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User
Re: need suggestions on 'small meals'

I've been diagnosed with GD, so I have no choice on eating the small meals. I have to eat at least 6 times a day. It's been better for me though!
Anyway, my breakfast has been a half an apple with peanut butter, or half a peanut butter sandwich (on wheat) and a piece of string cheese, half a South Beach snack bar and string cheese, half a sandwich of lunch meat, or a basted egg (or any style you like) on wheat toast. My snacks (3 times a day) all combine a carb and protein, so I have as a carb dried apricots, milk, whole grain crackers (sometimes with hummus), oatmeal, popcorn (3 cups is one carb), or nonfat/light yogurt. My protein consists of either string cheese, lunch meat, jerkey (don't do this unless your blood pressure is good due to the sodium), almonds or peanuts, or peanut butter. If you like hard boiled eggs that is good too. For lunch or dinner it's the norm, just a smaller portion. (ie. half a burger, a small sandwich (if you make one from home, even eating 1/2 at say 10:30 in the am, and the other half at lunch will make a difference to your belly). I'm also allowed as a freebie sugar free jello, or veggies.
In the beginning (I'm now 28 weeks) I too couldn't eat my usual bigger meals. I got used to snacking through the day. I felt better too for it. Just keep your snacks to healthy things that will keep you satisfied (look for things with 4 or more fiber grams) and not looking for that big meal and you'll do fine.
Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
(female)

deadsy HB User

Thanks qt, that was very helpful! I guess I am not too far off track then. I've been eating lots fruits and vegetables throughout the day... and peanut butter... for some reason those things are the only thing that sound good to me at this point! But you gave me some good ideas... I appreciate it!

linsey

Old 04-02-2006, 01:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

Turkey sandwiches with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo helped me a long. I also eat some Lean Cuisine frozen dinners. They aren't too big.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Cereal is always a great light meal to eat too.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

Here are some ideas I've used in the passed and am trying to use currently:

1/2 peanut butter sandwich (on whole wheat/whole grain bread)
1 slice whole wheat/grain w/ 1/4 cup cottage cheese (2%)

Low Fat cheeses

Hummus is great as someone else mentioned. I enjoy it.

whole grain or fiber cereal w/ non-fat milk

Almonds are good for you as well. (1/2 cup)

Eggs (anyway you like)

Tofu

Lentil soup (which I love) I make it with some carrot and celery you can use a low sodium chicken broth or water. Boil everything until the lentils are tender. Any other dried beans or peas are good. Better than canned b/c canned contain high sodium.

Non or Low fat yogurt

Whole wheat pasta w/ garlic and oil

Berries and/or melon (my dr. recommended these as opposed to other fruits)

You can do applesauce if you like it.

1/2 cup chopped broccoli w/ brown rice.

Sweet Pototo

I'm sure you can find some ideas on-line. I wish I could follow these tips myself. It's hard though. I've been craving not so good foods lately.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
(female)

deadsy HB User

Thanks girls!! You are always so helpful!

Closed Thread