It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Eating healthy and struggling? any tips please?

With my first pregnancy I gained 55 lbs. most of which was due to water retention. I gained weight in my thighs and butt in addition to the expanding stomach. I'm trying to hard to eat healthy this time so that I only gain 30 lbs. tops. But it's hard. I have a 15 month old daughter and I chase her around all day and eat whenever I have time. And it's mostly not healthy food. I know I can be doing alot better.

I've always been a big eater. And thankfully I've never gained much. But that's not so when your pregnant as you guys all know.

Can anyone give me any tips or advice? I've been trying to substitute regular pastas for whole wheat and white breads for wheat or whole grain. I do pretty well with that but tend to fall back a few times a month.

Help me to help myself. thanks guys.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Eating healthy and struggling? any tips please?

Keep some cut up celery sticks and carrots in the fridge at eye level, so that when you open it looking for a snack it's right there within reach.

The other thing I've done is to start eating string cheese -- it's pre-packaged (no mess!), has calcium, and is satisfying.

I've also fallen in love with the small cups of fruit cocktail (in light syrup), mandarin oranges, and peaches. They are very handy and don't spoil. Again, they count for fruit serving, are satisfying (especially if you are looking for something sweet!), and are pre-packaged so cleanup is easy.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I think it takes time to switch over and it is commintting yourself to a whole lifestyle change. When you shop next time, only buy healthy foods or more nutrious foods. Snack on red grapes, yogurt and cereal. We also buy the whole grain pasta, but make sure you make only enough for a healthy serving size and not the whole box. I am a HUGE candy eater and have been my whole life, it take me about 1-2 weeks to get it out of my system and I don't crave it so much. Drink plenty of water too because it will help. Your always probably going to slip back, but try to make better decisions when you are at the grocery store.

I personally struggle with the same thing at times now. I was 108 pre-pregnancy and now I am 150 and due in a week. Although I kept exercising during the beginning and middle of my pregnancy (the winter months) I ate alot. My portions sizes of everything were way too large. Now in my last trimester I have ate better and kept the portion sizes more reasonable and my weight has leveled out for the past almost 2 months now.

I also think it is most healthy to not cut something out of your diet or totally cut yourself off from foods you love, or you may eventually break and slip. Moderation is the key!

Old 04-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

Thanks guys.
Orange ... I went shopping today and tried to get only healthy food. I purchased some organic peanut butter and some soy crisps b/c I crave a bit of salt at times. And those are packed w/ protein and iron. I also got some almonds and cottage cheese. I am really trying to eat better but like you I crave candy often. I've been going crazy for starburst and swedish fish.

Like you I only weighed 105-108 prepregnancy. Last time I think I was about 114 or so I have another appt. monday so I'll be getting on the scale. I'm already dredding it. My dr. bugs out if I gain too much. Last pregnancy when I was gaining a lot he yelled at me. I ended up losing 1 lb. and then he freaked again teling me to gain the weight. You can't win. LOL -

thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it.

Closed Thread