It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Preterm Labor Scare!

Ok, this past Friday, I literally had cramps all day long, kind of like the heavy cramping you'd have if you were really constipated. By 2am, I couldn't take it anymore so we went to the hospital and wouldn't ya know, I'm having contractions every 5 minutes and was 1 cm dialated. I am 32 weeks along so the doctor gave me a Beta-Methazone shot on Saturday and another one on Sunday just to quickly mature the baby's lungs in case I delivered early. Along with those shots, I had to endure about 15 shots of Terbutaline to stop the contractions. I am now officially done with work, no heavy lifting, no sex and stuck on these Terbutaline pills which I swear is like taking speed!

The funny part of this whole episode was that my baby shower was Saturday and I missed it:-) I did get to come home Sunday and open all of my wonderful gifts but it just sucks to miss your one and only baby shower. The nurses in the hospital kept telling me so many women miss there showers, probably from running yourself crazy in the days before.

The doc said I should be fine, but I don't think I will be a May momma anymore. I think this little girl is pushing for an April due date!

Anyone else feel like they're ready to deliver, even though they're not due??? I HAD, until I sat in labor and delivery and heard 3 other people in labor. It freaked the heck out of me. That whole feeling of wanting it to come soon is gone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

natasha76 HB User
Re: Preterm Labor Scare!

very scary!!! Good news though is that the babies born at 32 weeks are usually just fine. the only thing is that they may need to spend a few weeks in the hospital after delivery. And the steroids shots help a lot to develop baby's lungs. My friend delivered her daughter last December at 31wks2days. The baby spent 5 weeks in the hospital but now she is at home and weight over 11 pounds. She doesn't even look like a premature baby, looks so chubby and healthy I, myself, had preterm labor at 24 weeks i went to the doc and they told me that my cervix was 80% effaced (thinned) and that I could go into labor any time. I also got 2 steroids shots and have been on bedrest since then. Now I am 36 weeks and doing well. One more week and I will be at full-term and walking as much as I want again. Bedrest hasn't been easy but it has helped me to get this far. Try to rest (get off your feet) as much as you can and drink LOTS and LOTS of water. I drink probably at least 2 liters of water a day. I know it is no fun but water helps you not have contractions. I've done a lot of research about preterm labor and premature babies so if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask or if you go online, there are so many resources. I wish you and your baby well!! Keep us posted.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Thanks for the info Natasha. I'm glad to hear you're so far along after going into labor so early. Have you been on complete bedrest this whole time?? I couldn't imagine. The 2 days I spent in the hospital was enough to drive me crazy. I can walk around and do things around the house, just nothing really strenuous. I am still taking these pills though to stop the contractions so that's good. I did hear that the steroid shots were the best thing so hopefully, my little girl has some strong lungs now, just in case. My EDD is May 25th, but she is EXTREMELY low now. Doc said my cervix was actually still thick but I swear she feels like she may drop out anytime. I think I'll be doing good to make it past May 4th. I did break down and pack a bag though, just in case. And this Saturday is my childbirth class so hopefully, I learn something:-)

Old 04-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
(female)

Beyondthesky37 HB User

I had a similar saituation to you. I was having cramping at 31 weeks and had a lot of BH contractions. After I had seven in an hour I was told to go to the hospital. They gave me this test that said I might deliver within two weeks and it was positive. I was kept over night and given tribudlin shots. They sent me home on Procardia. I ended up going back in the hospital a few nights later with contractions exactly five mintes apart. I was dialated to 1 but my cervix was still thick. I was kept over night and then was sent home. I had cramping all the next day and the day after that I had my Ob appointment. I was dialated another centimeter and they increased my medication. That night I started having contractions five minutes apart for three hours so I had to go back to the hospital. This time after several tribudlin shots I was put on magnesium. Then everytime they would try to get me off the magnesium I would start contracting again. On Friday night I was still in the hospital and they lowered the magnesium dose. I started contracting so bad I couldn't talk through them. They uped my magnesium dose and got them stopped. But I ended up being a week in the hospital and am on strict bedrest now. My due date is really close to yours it's May 24th. Hopefully we can keep our babies in there a bit longer. I know how you feel about feeling like the baby is going to fall out. I have that feeling now too and getting up to go to the bathroom can be a challenge. Hang in there.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
(female)

walnutsmom HB User

Hi Ladies,

I will be 34 weeks tomorrow and have been on bedrest since week 31 for low amniotic fluids. I got the steroid shots this week in case I have to deliver early but until now was not experiencing any early labor signs. Tonight I had really bad back pain and and lots of braxton hicks but not in any sort of consistent pattern.

I am on a regimen of 2 OB appts/ultrasound to check for fluid levels/nst per week and hope to take this baby as close to my May 18 due date as possible. I wish the water and the bedrest were a guarantee but I feel as if I am just buying days. Each day I got to sleep is another day I've gained. I know that if I have to deliver the baby now he will likely be okay but he will still be a preemie and will likely need to stay in the hospital for a few weeks so I am trying to avoid it. You guys seem so calm about the possibility of delivering early. I wish I could have that sense of calm. I know it is not in my hands.

Closed Thread