It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

almac HB User
Question to eat? or not to eat? that is the question..

G'day,

Just wondering what I should be eating and what should I be avoiding at 7weeks?

I can exercise normally right? running? tae bow?

Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User
Re: to eat? or not to eat? that is the question..

I think I'm about 5 weeks. I think you're supposed to avoid caffeine, alcohol, artificial sweeteners (like asparatame).

You should definitely be taking a prenatal vitamin (including folic acid). I've heard of people having their teeth fall out after pregnancy, so I'm trying to get enough calcium. I'm sure fruits and vegetables are supposed to be really good, but then you have to be concerned about pesticides, so I'm kind of scared about that.

I'd be interested in seeing other responses b/c I've wondered about this myself, particularly about the pesticide issue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2006, 12:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

As far as eating, follow what nancy said and you should be fine. Make sure you start taking prenatal vitamins either from the store or by prescription by doctor asap. As far as working out, yes you can still workout---however becareful to not overheat your body as it can possibly cause a miscarriage. Also avoid doing any ab work as this type of strain can possibly cause damage.

I can't think of anything else right now!

Anyone else?

Due Date June 25, 2006
Currently in my 28th week!

Old 04-04-2006, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

Faythey HB User

You just need to make sure to have a balanced diet. Fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, grains...the whole 9 yards.

I havent heard anything about pesticides being a problem, at least not coming from fruits or veggies. If you have a home garden, it would be smart to let someone else do the gardening for a little while.

You can try to google pregnancy and pesticides and theres a lot of pages that come up.

AS far as exercise goes, I was told that whatever you were doing before you were pregnant you should be able to continue while you are pregnant. Just be sure to stay hydrated!

Old 04-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

My dr. gives me an information booklet w/ every pregnancy. It runs down a list of do's and don'ts. Here's some info. you may appreciate:

EXERCISE
Regular exercise is good for you but don't let your heart rate sustain over 140 bpm.

NUTRITION
Calories - 1800-2000 or 300-600 more than normal
8-10 Glasses of water daily
If you develop a milk intolerance - try broccoli, salmon w/ bones, sardines, yogurt & cheeses
Increase protein but low fat
NO unpasteurized products or raw meats
Up fiber intake
SALT - don't restrict but do not use excessively
No Alcohol
No Tobacco
Avoid certain fish during pregnancy (do not eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish). Most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock and catfish. White Tuna/Albacore is higher in mercury than light tuna so limit your intake to 6 ounces per week.

REST & SLEEP
You require more sleep while pregnant. So listen to your body. You will know when you are overdoing it.

CAR TRAVEL
Wear seatbelt low and take frequent walk breaks if taking long trips (over 1 hour)

TOXOPLASMOSIS
Do not clean litter boxes. Use caution around raw meats.

I have been told to avoid household cleaners, second hand smoke etc especially during the first trimester. That is when they pose the greatest risk to the developing fetus. If you are going to clean make sure to do so in an open area with ventilation. And have all smokers smoke outside or far away from you.

Always call your dr. if you have:
severe headache
blurred vision
spots before your eyes
vaginal bleeding
severe abdominal pain
contractions/backache
water breaks or any other concerns.

If you suffer from constipation during pregnancy - my dr. okays metamucil (1tsp in full glass of water, milk or juice) or fibercon tablets as directed.
Also milk of magnesia 30cc at night if needed.

Tylenol or Acetaminophen 325 mg - 2 tablets 2-3 times a day as needed for headache - without other symptoms.

Robitussin for cough
Actifed, sudafed or dimetapp for congestion
Chloraseptic Throat spray for sore throat.

I hope this helps. A lot of other dr.'s don't give such indepth information to their patients.

Good luck guys.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Yes, as Faythey said.... stay hydrated!! I know if I don't stay hydrated, I start to get cramp like feelings---which is a big no no!!

Drink plenty of water!

Old 04-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Just an FYI - you can safely take 2 500 mg tablets of tylenol (extra strengh) 4 times a day if needed during pregnancy. I thought this was a super high amount but discovered this is the amount that is safe when I got sick with ds and had a fever of 102-103 for 4 days and the normal tylenol wasn't helping. It is more important to take the medication for fever or for pain then the put your body through that.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I was told by a nurse that Splenda is ok, but aspartame and saccharin are not.

Closed Thread