It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

deadsy HB User
midwives

Hey girls, I just wanted to know if there was any one else out there who is seeing a midwife and/or has used a midwife throughout their pregnancy. I have a doctor appt. tomorrow with an OB/GYN but I have heard nothing but bad things about him, so I don't know if I want to continue seeing him. The only reason I made the appointment with him is because I am taking medication right now that I am not sure is safe during pregnancy, and want to talk to a doctor about it. My doctor's office immediately set me up an appoitment to see this doctor.. so I guess it's my only option as of now. Anyway, I made an appointment to see a midwife next week. I want to have a water birth, and fortunately there is a birthing center in my home town that has tubs and what not. I am happy I have this appointment, I would feel more comfortable seeing a woman and what not. I am just nervous because as soon as I mention midwife to those around me, they freak out about it. "They aren't real doctors" and such. My cousin used this same midwife throughout her pregnancy, and everything turned out fine.. I just want some reassurance. Thanks girls... sorry for the long post!! lol

linsey

Old 04-04-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User
Re: midwives

I live in Canada and midwives are becoming more popular here as they are now covered by government health plan in many provinces. I am pg with my second child and using a midwife. I have a son who is almost 3 and used a dr till 30 weeks or so with him and then switched to an ob/gyn. The experience was less then desirable but only because I was induced before I should have been (body was sooooo not ready) and was in labour for 37 hours. Because of the way the labour and del is set up where I delivered I just had whichever dr was on for the delivery and whatever nurse was assigned for the shift. So I ended up seeing my ob for 11 weeks, she began the induction and then another took over and was on call for all of my actual labour. I saw 3 different nurses while in labour and during this time I just kind of got lost in the shuffle sometimes. My son ended up in stress but that wasn't known until he was born and wasn't really breathing. He's fine now but the experience was terrifying.
So I am using a midwife this time and absolutely loving it!!! I have seen her since 10 weeks, have never been in her office, meeting with her, for less than 30 minutes. She takes her time, asks me how I am doing and is there whenever I need her. She'll come right to my house if I need her to for any complications during pregnancy. I could deliver at home too but have decided that after what we went through with ds, we want to be in the hospital. My midwife and/or one of her collegues will remain with me for my entire labour...no shift changes, no new faces. There is just such a continuity of care there.
If you feel uncomfortable at all with this ob/gyn I would suggest going somewhere else, even if it is another dr.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

deadsy HB User

Thanks so much Jordyn! Your story just helps me feel more confident about seeing this midwife. From the sounds of your first delivery, I think I would get stressed out in a situation like that too! All the research I've done says to me that midwifes take more time and let you do it naturally, as opposed to trying to rush things along. That just sounds so much more appealing to me.
I have my dr. appt. today with the ob/gyn... I'll let ya'll know how that goes.
Thanks again for your response!!

linsey

Old 04-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Good luck...glad I could be of help. Remember that not all stories are bad!!! I always feel bad telling my story but I was so naive (but not young) when pg with ds. I didn't even do much reading about what labour was like...just figured I'd get through it and all would be well. This time I haven't done a whole lot more reading but have explored things like water birth (not going to have the actual birth there but plan to labour in a jacquizzi tub) as well as positions to labour in...last time I was in bed almost the whole time except for about 3 hours because I was induced and had to be on the monitors.
My midwife just cringes when I tell her some of the things that went on and reassures me that things will be so so much better this time.
The other benefit to midwives is that they are often lactation consultants or working towards this and will lend tons of support this way. (another of my huge problems with ds when he was born and I was expected to drive 25 min each way 3-4 times a week to the closest breastfeeding clinic...my son was released from the hospital on the condition that I would do this!!!!)

Old 04-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
(female)

Safc-Chick HB User

In the uk we use midwives, this is my 3rd pregnancy and I only used the doctor for my first appt to confirm I was pregnant everything else is done via the midwife. I've never know any problems with it here its completely normal.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
(female)

deadsy HB User

Well, I went to my OB dr. appt today and he completely tried to discourage me from seeing a midwife... said they aren't trained the same, and if something were to go wrong it would mean trouble for my baby. He also said water births are really dangerous and he wouldn't recommend me doing one. I was kind of upset, because he has been the only person so far to say this. I think this has encouraged me more to see the midwife, I don't think I want to continue seeing this doctor... frankly, he was jerk (for lack of better words ) thanks again girls for responding and letting me know that it's not always a bad experience (according to this dr.)

linsey

Old 04-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

I am using a midwife for my pregnancy. There are 5 different midwives in this office and they all take their time, make sure that Im feeling ok and all my questions are answered. My sister used midwives for both of hers and she absolutly loved them. If and when we have another baby we will definitly use midwives again. I went through that whole thing with my inlaws after we told them that we were using midwives. If there are ANY complications at all there is another doc on call just in case. I absolutly love going to the midwives. Their bedside manner is excellent.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
(female)

deadsy HB User

Bridget, thanks for sharing. This is what I've been hearing too... I think the doctor I saw today was a quack and didn't want to lose business or something. His bedside manner was terrible, I am so looking forward to seeing a midwife. The office I am going to has several midwives and an OB/GYN in the office, so I am not too worried. Plus, it is right next to the hospital and birthing center.

You girls have helped me a lot... I really appreciate it. I'd rather go by personal experiences than by what a male doctor says.. haha.

Linsey

Old 04-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
(female)

ByeBye20's HB User

Hi Deadsy,
I have never used a midwife, but I recently switched obgyns and hospitals because I didn't like mine. I'm much happier and comfortable with my new ob and glad I decided to switch. I think it's important to feel completely happy with the person who will be following you throughout your pregnancy. You will probably only go through this a few times, or maybe even just once, so you deserve to have each pregnancy be special and right for you. I don't understand women who accept a bad bedside manner or anyhing less than a caring and competent ob/midwife. Aren't we and our babies worth it??
Go with your gut on this.

Last edited by ByeBye20's; 04-05-2006 at 01:08 PM.

Closed Thread