It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

mammajess HB User
Question Should I have a C-section or vaginal birth after having a stroke?

Hello everyone! I'm 21 years old and I'm 12 weeks pregnant. I suffered a stroke as a young child, and I have been reading that it would be safer for me to have a C-section rather than a vaginal birth. I have spoke with my doctor about it and she doesn't know much about the subject.I'm open to having a C-section, but wanted to know if anyone has an input. Or if anyone knows any websites where I could find out some info. Thank you very much. MammaJess

Old 04-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

ByeBye20's HB User
Re: Should I have a C-section or vaginal birth after having a stroke?

Dear Mama,
I really don't know anything about the subject of birth after a stroke, but I definitely think that if your doctor isn't familiar with that issue, then you should really find another one. The whole point of being followed by an ob is to have answers to all of your questions that you can be sure of, isn't it?
Good luck, and congrats on your pregnancy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
(female)

AngelaSue HB User

I am in kind of a similar situation, and that is that I had Rheumatic Fever when I was 18 years old. I had some damage to one of my heart valves as a result, and I discussed this thoroughly with my OB, and she referred me to a cardiologist. I had several tests done, and EKG, ECG, and an ultrasound done and the tests came back that because of the scar tissue I developed in the affected valve, that it would be safer for me to have a C-section. I did with my first child which was nearly 10 years ago, and I will again with this pregnancy. What I would do if I were you, is ask your OB to refer you to a cardiologist, one that has worked with pregnant women. That's what mine did. Your OB doesn't sound like someone who has any answers, and I'm shocked she didn't refer you to a cardiologist herself/himself. Possibly, you might want to look for a new OB as well. I hope this helped somewhat. Good Luck, and keep me posted, I'm curious what you find out.

Angie

Old 04-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

Perhaps a high risk pregnancy doctor or a neurologist would be the type doctor to ask. The high risk doctor cares for mothers and unborn babies who need special care and this doctor would likely care for you for the remainder of your pregnancy. The neurologist cares for people who have or have had strokes, other issues with the brain, and circulation within the brain. This type doctor would see you probably once and give advice based on your medical history and current health. A cardiologist is a heart doctor and the heart does not cause strokes.

If you have high blood pressure or develop it while pregnant, you'll probably be advised to have a C-section so labor doesn't make you BP go higher and put you at risk for another stroke.

As has been said, your doctor should have done the leg-work on this and not left it up to you - or us - to find the safe answer. The newborn nursery or newborn ICU staff at the hospital where you plan to deliver may be able to suggest a doctor to you. If your insurance requires you have a referral, insist your doctor refer you to one of these type doctors who is on staff where you'll deliver.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 04-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
(female)

mammajess HB User

Thank you very much to all of you for reply to my question! I appreicate it. I do plan on having my doctor reffer me to a nuerologist. I'm just trying to get informed on my own before my next Dr.s appointment. And find anyone with a similar situation. Angie thank you for you wonderful advice and similar story. As Barbra pointed out a cardiologist deals with heart and a stroke is in the brain. But still great advice. Thank you. Everyone! I go to the Doctor on april 19th so I post any updates. luv Jess

Old 04-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
(female)

AngelaSue HB User

Well, I feel like a complete idiot. I always thought a stroke had to do with the heart, I guess I'll just chalk it up to, I learned something new today. Either way, I hope you can find a good doctor that is specialized in the type of care you will need considering your history. Best of Luck to you, and keep us posted. Angie

Old 04-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
(female)

mammajess HB User

Oh angie~ Everyone has though things that they think they know about, then they find out they really don't know. I probably have more than most. hehe. My next Dr.s appoint is on the 19th so I'll keep everyone posted. Thank you so much for taking the time to care. Luv Jess

Old 04-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
(female)

mammajess HB User

Hello everyone~ Well I went to the Doctor on the 19th and talked to her more about my situation. She told me that it is likely that I will indeed have a C-Section, but I will see another doctor in a couple of months to get that conformed. I'm actually excited about this news. I think it will help with my nerves about the whole delevery. I will continue to keep everyone updated. Oh and also we get to find out the sex in about 5 weeks. YAY! Hoping for a boy but either is fine with us. The baby appears to be perfectly healthy... with a strong heartbeat. And I'm doing quite well. Gaining back a couple of the lbs I lost during the first trimester.. and blood pressure is still great. No swelling or anything. So everything is going great. Thank you for taking the time to read this...

And if anyone else has any input about the C-section thing I would appreciate it. Thanks Jess

Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #9
(female)

mcohen HB User

I know you posted this question a very long time ago but I was searching for posts on this topic and found yours and thought I'd reply anyway.

I'm 35 years old and am 6 weeks pregnant and I had a stroke two years ago. I just had my first visit with the OB and he is now consulting with the high risk clinic to see if I should be seen there but he thinks and my Rheumatologist thinks that I will most likely have to have a c-section to cut down on problems that could arise with the stress of a vaginal delivery. I'm curious to know what you have found out about your situation.

Good luck!

Closed Thread