It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User
Talking June Moms Part 3!!!

They closed our previous thread so I am posting the new one!

Is anyone else having problems with leg cramps? A few nights a week I will wake up having leg cramps that really really hurt. I am sure it is just b/c of the extra weight but they are EXTREMELY painful. Does anyone know how to alleviate the pain or prevent it?

Thanks,

Brandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User
Re: June Moms Part 3!!!

What do they feel like? Cramps, aches, tingling, numbness, ....is it persistent, or a shot of pain??

I had the Restless Leg Syndrome for a short while. I guess it's a fairly normal symptom of pregnancy. Not everyone gets it though (like morning sickness I guess). For me it started with a tingling. Like my leg had a fever and it was shivering. Not painful though. Then, a couple of times I had this weird cramp run through my leg, but it went away quickly if I just shook my leg. Although it was painful but only for a short time, it was more annoying than anything. If it's waking you up at night (like the sharp A#! pain in my hips) I can relate!

-stacey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

This cramp is just out of the blue. It pretty much paralyzes my leg until I massage the pain out of it. Sometimes I can move my foot around to ease the cramp. It is just in my calf. My leg has been sore all day bc of it.

brandi

Old 04-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

rojo6pak HB User

First of all, Brandi, thanks for the good laugh yesterday! The baby peeing in his mothers face was too funny!!!!
anyway..I too am having leg cramps at night. Someone told me it was a lack of potassium (?) and then others have told me it was just a side effect of being prego. with all the hormones and stuff! Not much to worry about I guess. I think I have RLS- Not pain or anything like that, but restlessness. Like my legs want to move constantly when I'm in a lying down position. It's so irritating. It annoys my poor DH as I toss and turn pretty much all night. Oh, I'm ready for this to be over
Hope all is well, until next time
Rojo

Old 04-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

Robin--I have had a problem with RLS since early in my pregnancy. I posted something about how it may have something to do with the sugar in your body b/c I found that the more sugar I had, the worse it was at night. I heard that cinnamon tablets helped and my dr told me to try them. Surprise, Surprise.... they actually helped!!! My RLS was bad the other night and it was after a day of drinking Dr. Pepper all day (That is one of my cravings right now). I had to go sleep on the couch b/c DH couldn't sleep with me tossing and turning. Did you mention that you had GD? Ask your dr about cinnamon. It is suppose to help counteract the sugar in your system. A family friend actually is hyperglycemic and she puts a cinnamon stick in her coffee every morning. She also says that it helps her sugar level.

I am going crazy right now!! My dh will not let me do anything at all basically. We are almost finished building the house and it is suppose to be finished within the month. They are out there putting the electrical in right now. I am slowly but surely packing up my house right now so when they give me the go ahead, I will be ready to give them the boxes to take over. That is really all I am able to do. If I try to help at the house, dh just asks me to give my input on where to put certain things (like electrical outlets, etc.) I want to be doing so much more. Also, ever since I left work, all I have been wanting to do is EAT!! When I was working, I never had time to snack. I just drank LOTS of water and juice and every once in a while, I would grab a cookie or something. Now that I am around the house all day, I find myself going into the kitchen for something at least once an hour. I am trying to snack on healthy foods but I am not always good about it. I am going to hate seeing the scale at the drs on monday.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Brandi

Old 04-07-2006, 01:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

i was told if you stretch and point your toes while laying in bed that can trigger a cramp. and since that is a natural way of stretching i have started stretching by pointing my toes up and heel down. that is usually how i can get a cramp to start going away at night. with my first son i would wake up screaming cause of cramps but now the other stretching thing helps a lot.

U/S went great they are measuring to be about 2 lbs 6 oz each now! Dr says we'll schedule a c-section the week of 20 june as long as things are still progessing as they are now.
the only real change is my cervix.. it has begun to shorten but now where in a way that i need to be concerned. I was at 2 inches and now i am just under 2 inches. he said under 3 cm is an issue so i am good.

i go back in two weeks so we'll see.

I am having cravings for pasta and cokes now! and i know neither are good. my dr saw my weight and asked me if i was retaining water... that made feel like crap. I gained 3 lbs in 3 weeks.. but isn't it with twins 1 lbs a week is good?

AHHHHH i hope i lose the weight as easily as i put it on!

Old 04-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

DH22-- 3 lbs in 3 weeks sounds good to me! I have been gaining about 3 or 4 every 2 weeks. I am at 32 weeks and I have gained about 21 lbs so far. I try not to worry about my weight though. It just proves to me that my little one is growing and getting bigger and stronger (As if I need more proof). DH just tells me to eat and not worry about it. I tell him I am getting fat, he says that I am getting pregnant. He makes me feel so good.

Brandi

Old 04-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

I have the same leg pains as described---mine don't feel sharp and don't come all of the sudden though. They just feel dull and achey---not all day but mostly at night. As far as the weight gain, I have officially--as of Tuesday confirmed by the doctor--gained 6 pounds and I'm starting my 29th week. The doctor told me that she doesn't expect me to gain more than an additional 10 pounds between now and d-day as this is the time the baby starts to grow fast. I can't complain about the weight gain as I've been very diligent about working out and eating well---but I can definitely tell I have some swelling, but nothing bad. As far as the leg cramps/aches, I assume they're coming from the baby's weight and pressure on the blood vessels down south all the way to the legs. There's no way that I have been able to alleviate the pain, but just by brushing it off and dealing with it for now.

I hope everyone is well!

Old 04-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

DH: Are you describing 'charlie horse' pain??? If you've never had one it's like your muscle suddenly deciding to tie itself into a knot and the only relief seems to be punching it. Is that what it feels like?? If that's it do what Rojo said. You need potasium. I used to get those bad in college and a runner told me to eat at least one banana a day. Also, tomatoes have potatsium.

I myself am going to try the cinamon stick thing!! Before I go to bed I'll have the caffeine free cinamon and orange tea! I'll try anything to lower my morning sugars!!!!!!

Oh, and as long as your not pigging out........don't worry about the scale!!!!!!!

Brandi.....your husband sounds like a dream!

Okay, cravings...........sounds like you guys are having some. I read Coke, Dr Pepper, and pasta. I haven't had any! None! Well, of course now that I've been denied chocolate I want some, but it's still a 'want' and not a craving. And it's really only because I'm being denied due to the GD! I need to freak someone out by asking for ice cream with pickles! Is anyone doing that yet?

-stace

Old 04-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

QT-- let me know how the cinnamon tea works. I think we may be on to something here.

I can't say that I am wanting pickles and ice cream yet. Actually, the thought disgusts me but what else is new? I went to a local festival today with my mil and cousin and had fresh squeezed lemonade. YUM!!! I am still wanting, not really craving, sour stuff. It has been like that through the whole pregnancy. I think I outdid myself though. We went shopping after the festival and I got home around 9pm. I have a headache and my legs are killing me. I should know better though.

Hope everyone is well.

Brandi

Old 04-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
(female)

Marie M HB User

Hi June Moms! I haven't been around a lot, I had hung out on the TTC board for SEVEN months until this last Oct/Nov... around the time I found out I was pg. Then finacial situations caused us to get rid of the intenet for a while, so I am just now back again! It's good to be back here. I'm due June 28th, still having morning sickness (but I'm on meds for it) and lots of heartburn. I really don't have leg cramps alot, but the last few weeks I have just started with the swelling. My biggest problems right now are heartburn and backace! Fun stuff. I know everyone says this... but I'll be so glad when this is over!!

Old 04-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Yikes!!! Ditto on the backache--mine occur in the lower back. I suppose this is normal!!

We're almost there June moms!! YAY!

Old 04-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #13
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

I have been having a problem since last night and I am starting to worry about it, although it may be normal. Ever since late last night, I have been having sharp pains in my back, but they are only on my lower left side. I think it may be my kidney but man it hurts and it is aggravating. I guess it is a good thing I have a dr appt today. I was up all night b/c of the pains.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Brandi

Old 04-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

Brandi.........let us know what happens at the doctors!! I hope it's nothing. Also, does the acid in the lemonade and other sour things affect the RLS?? I was getting ready to try the cinnamon tea when I realized....I HATE tea without sugar!!!! Can't have the sugar due to the GD. I'm still trying to figure out ways of getting cinamon without the sugar. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Marie.....welcome back! There are 3 of us that came from the TTC boards.

New symptom.....but apparently normal.....Carpul Tunnel!! I have the tingling going on in my right hand mainly. I was worried for awhile until I read that it's normal in my pregnancy book! whew! Doesn't make doing my job any easier though!!

Okay, so I have a jar of sweet pickles in my frig for when I need something sweet. But it still wasn't a craving. I did however pick up some diabetic chocolate at Costco yesterday that was really good! I was surprised. But I don't want any now. But now at least I can't say that I can't have any!!

I have to pick up my letter from the doc today that says I can fly. They are also giving me some new prenatals. I had asked about the whole Omega 3's that I had read helped with fetal memory (albeit it works best in the 2nd trimester). My nurse said it's true, the studies being done are coming out positive for the stuff. So, she's giving me some sample packs of prenatals that included the Omega 3s. (she knows I'm not really working and can't afford a 'prescribed' prenatal) They should last me until due date.

I get my tour of the hospital tonight with my prenatal class! yea!

Home stretch ladies! 8-12 weeks for most of us!

-stace

Old 04-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #15
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

Just got back from the Dr. office. Turns out, the pains I have been feeling are more than likely BH's. Hehehe. I was having contractions (albeit Braxton Hick's) and did not know it. They haven't gotten any worse so I am not really worried about it right now. The doc did a quick exam and everything is in place as of today.

Another way to drink cinnamon, if you can have apple juice, is to put a tablespoon or so of cinnamon in some apple juice and heat it up. It tastes like apple cider. I did it this morning b/c I had an ice cream cone and I think it had too much sugar in it. The ice cream gave me a headache so I tried the apple juice. It tastes good also.

I am not sure about the sour stuff, though.

Brandi

Closed Thread