It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User
Exclamation Migraine and Numbness in left hand

I woke up this afternoon and soon after I lost all the feeling in my left hand. I then had visual disturbance like when I get migraine headaches. I've never had the numbness before.

I called my nurse who was out and then a temporary nurse told the intake lady to tell me to go directly to the emergency room. Well, I did and sat there for almost 3 hours (after they took my vitals and my symptoms). When I learned that tons of people were still ahead of me, I left b/c I didn't want to be around all the sick people there, and obviously the ER didn't think my situation was an emergency or they would have tried to see me sooner.

Anyway, I'm 5 weeks pregnant. My symtpoms of migraine and numbness went away completley shortly have I got to the ER. Does anyone think there is any potential problem with my pregnancy???? I don't have any cramping or bleeding. I really think I just had a migraine headache and the nurse from my normal doctor probably just told me to go to the ER just to make sure (and so she doesn't get sued). I never actually talked to the nurse from my normal doctor, just the intake lady.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! I'm really nervous that somehting is going wrong, though I'm not having anymore problems now.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Re: Migraine and Numbness in left hand

Hi Nancy:

I was just reading your post and thought I would respond since nobody else has yet. I don't think your problem is pregnancy related seeing that you are so early on in your pregnancy, however, I do think you should see your doctor just to make sure everything is alright with you, so that you don't have problems in your pregnancy. If you were later in your months it could possibly be things that were pregnancy related, but being that you are only 5 weeks, I doubt it. If you get migrains alot with visual, then I wouldn't worry so much. Maybe you hand was numb from sleeping on it? If you don't think that is the case, then maybe you should see your docotor.

Does that make sense? I hope so. Best of luck to you!

Melly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Hi Nancy,
I am not pregnant but I do suffer from migraines w/headaches and migraines without. I typically get the aura first and then the migraine headache and also get just the occular migraines. I also will at times get numbness in my gums tongue, lips, teeth (yes teeth!!), and hand. These types of migraine symptoms have only started since the birth of my second son. Before that I would get the aura first and then the headache. I would mention it to your dr the next time you see him/her but it sounds like a migraine symptom to me.
Good luck!!

Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User

Thanks so much! I feel a little better now. I woke up tonight thinking my hand was numb again, but it wasn't. I think I'm starting to get paranoid now. It's kind of scary to have the numbness think. I have an appointment on Monday, and I certainly will bring it up...if it happens again, I guess I'll have to go to the ER again even though they don't seem to want to help.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:18 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User
Angry Re: Migraine and Numbness in left hand

Those are stroke symptoms, go back to the hospital!!! If someone tells you to go to the ER, GO and STAY THERE!

Stroke Warning Signs

If you notice one or more of these signs, don't wait. Stroke is a medical emergency. Call 9-1-1 or your emergency medical services. Get to a hospital right away!
The American Stroke Association wants you to learn the warning signs of stroke:

Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
Sudden, severe headache with no known cause

Last edited by pittbulllover; 04-07-2006 at 06:19 AM.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Exactly -- those are stroke symptoms! There are little "mini-strokes" that usually happen before "the big one hits" that sound exactly like what you described.

While there's not alot they can do for in the ER after your episoded, your doctor can refer you to a cardiologist for some additional testing.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User

Stroke?! That's scary. I'm only 32 and not overweight, have low blood pressure (it was 102/56), don't have diabetes.....I don't really have any risk factors for stroke.

Do I need to go to the hospital now when I have no risk factors? I only have two of the symptoms which also are migraine symptoms (and I've had the visual disturbance before with migraines).

I was going to wait and tell the doctor on Monday. The ER didn't think I was an emergency at all after I told them my symptoms.

How soon does the big stroke happen after the mini-stroke????

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
(female)

Faythey HB User

The big stroke can happen anytime after a mini stroke. I mean, hours or years, you never know. If you think it might be stroke, go immediatly.

However, numbness in the hands is a common symptom of pregnancy. It happens to me all the time, and very easily. And if you have a history of migranes then that might just be pregnancy symptoms kicking in.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
(female)

Faythey HB User

I just wanted to include, it's better not to take any chances.

if you think there is a chance that it might be a stroke, go right back to the hospital. Better safe than sorry.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

Put it this way, if a 28 yearl old female basketball coach, who is also military personell can drop dead from a heart problem, you can too.
Do whats best for you and your baby, your pregnant all bets are off. Go back to the hospital, even if it's nothing!

Old 04-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

I've read something about ectopic pregnancy and numbness in the arm as well. Also, anytime I've ever had to go to the ER while pregnant (and it was a lot) they took me before anyone else. Did you tell them you are pregnant?

Old 04-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #12
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Unfortunately migraines and their symptoms can mimic strokes. I would have had 2 mini strokes/week if I thought I was having a stroke for every migraine I get. I have been checked out at hospitals and had CT scans, sent to an opthamolosist and EKG's in the past all with normal results. I regularly suffer from migraines and visual disturbances, dizziness and numbness/tingling in my hand and mouth and all it is for me are migraines. I would call your family DOCTOR and ask what they would advise you to do.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:19 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

THe family doc told her to go to the ER. Just becuase you have all these sypmptoms and only have migranes, does not hold true for everyone else.
SHe should at least have it checked out.

Old 04-08-2006, 05:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

I agree with pittbulllover. Go get checked out whether you feel better or not!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #15
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Pittbullover,
I am not suggesting that she ignore the symptoms-I'm merely telling her that I do suffer from these stroke like symptoms and for ME they are migraine related. She talked to an in-take nurse and I was saying maybe her DOCTOR would be best on advising her on what she should do. I am also not saying that just because I suffer from these symptoms that everyone else does-for most people it could be mini strokes but Nancy has said that she does suffer from migraines and visual disturbances so the numbness COULD be migraine related, it could be a mini stroke, could be caused from her low blood pressure, etc. I hope things are well with you Nancy and that you have found out what is causing this.

Closed Thread