It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Have my first ob appt tomorrow 4/11

What can i expect? I'm assuming they'll take blood (hate needles) do a pap test and anything else? will they let me know officially how far along i am right then and there or will i have to wait longer?

i'm about 5 weeks now i think. that's according to a preg calculator.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User
Re: Have my first ob appt tomorrow 4/11

This will be one of your longer appointments. They will go over your history, the daddys history, urine test, blood tests (make sure you eat before you go they do take a lot of blood), pap, they also test for clamidia and another one too, weight, blood pressure, full exam (breasts and everything). They will ask you when your last AF was and that is how they will know until the blood tests come back on how far you are. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

oh sounds like fun...especially being someone who hates having blood taken...have to lie down each time as to not to pass out! thanks for the tip on eating though..didn't know if i should fast or not. they didn't tell me.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
(female)

Faythey HB User

I know what you mean about giving blood. I told the lady at my first appt. that i have passed out a few times before, and she was like oh w/e.

Well, after the 4th or 5th vial i just started to go. Of course then they gave me chocolate...almost worth it.

Anyways, back to useful information. Bridget pretty much named everything I can remember. At my OB they say they do your yearly visit, and then an US. So expect what you would for your yearly OB visit, and then a few more treats.

Except they estimated my due date based on the size of the baby (from the US) which keeps changing every time i go back.

And its always a good idea to bring a snack with you. At my OB there is ALWAYS a wait, and they dont want a bunch of pregos passing out everywhere.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

thanks fathey

Old 04-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hope5756 HB User

hi there... at my appointment they didnt take very much blood just 2 viles... and they had snacks there for me and juice... they will want to know the first day of your last period and this is how most calculate your EDD... k let us know how it goes... bye for now

Old 04-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

They didnt do an US on my first visit and most dont around where im from unless your high risk or have complications. I go for my US on the 20th and hopefully they can see what it is. Im almost 19 weeks now.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

Well, I’d be surprised that I still have any blood left…..I hate getting blood taken and they must have taken about 5 viles! And…I typically pass out if I don’t lie down, but they didn’t have a bed available (this was just the lab at Pennsylvania Hospital)-however, I did well The lab tech was great….almost painless!

Took two urine tests!

Went into the doctors suite before all of the above though…..got a sense as to what I’ll look like in December! Wow….lots of mammas ready to pop! Went back for initial interview with a nurse, then met the doctor in his office-LOVE HIM! So nice and reassuring…..then had the EXAM…pap, breast, etc…..then the ultrasound! I asked them if thye’d really be able to see anything since I was only 6 weeks (which the dr said he would have rather have waited to see me at 8 weeks just to make sure that all is still well in 2 weeks-he brought up the 20% miscarriage rate up until 8 weeks…..now very worried and nervous….told him I’ve been on such a rollercoaster..now that I’m happy, I hope nothing goes wrong! He said…look on the POSITIVE side….80% do NOT miscarry! So..we’ve got 2 weeks to wait!) and there it was….a small little bean. That’s it! But, he gave us pics of the ultrasound. Within the next two weeks, it really will grow and it will be about the size of a silver dollar on the ultrasound then. I’m going back in two weeks-4/25 to have the next scan and by then, he’ll have my blood work and urine lab work results in. They ran, since they heard I had cats….they usually come up in some type of conversation-a test to screen for toxoplasmosis (something like that) that you can get from scooping litter. Most women have had this already and it is just brushed off as a flu or virus. Not harmful unless your pregnant.

So…the next two weeks will be a waiting game…I knew that I’m still early and that I could miscarry but hearing it from a DR made it more scary. I just want it all to be fine…there haven’t been any miscarriages in my family..I’m hoping all is fine! Still going ahead and telling my parents this weekend! Saturday when my mom opens her bday gifts (which really is today) she’ll open one extra…same with my dad…..trick will be to get them to open them together…..they’ll open up the bibs Now, we’ll have the ultrasound pics to show as well! Even though it’s just the size of a lima bean! Oh..as we walked out after meeting again with the Dr after the ultrasound to go over my LIST of questions, he gave us a First Pregancy book...very nice, current and thorough

Well, that about covers today…..hope the afternoon flies by as do the next two weeks!

Old 04-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hope5756 HB User

Im glad you did so well... did you find out your due date for sure???? i wish i could post my baby pictures for you to see what it looks like at 18 weeks... you can see nose, eyes, lips, ears, arms and legs... it is so cute... looks like a baby now... and he/she started to kick (i mean i can feel it kick) this weekend... it was so awsome... take care good job with the blood draw... be looking forward to the 12 weeks when the chance of miscarrage is so low and you start to feeling better... and at your 8 week appointment you should forsure see the heart beat... ahhh im so excited for you... CONGRATS again...

Old 04-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

thanks Hope! i'm looking forward to all the ultrasounds! Easy and fun! 8 weeks I see and hear the heart? Wow! Exciting!

Did you have any morning sickness with either preg? I don't and i know i'm still early and shouldn't complain....just curious. I do have a bit of a pulling sensation right around the left side of my belly button..which as i mentioend was right around where the doc spotted my 'lima bean.' you ever have this sensation? he said it was normal but i'd like to know how long this goes on?

wish i could see the 18week pics too! Take care and congrats to you as well!

Oh...due date will be more official the next visit but going by my last period, we're looking at 12/5!

Old 04-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
(female)

Faythey HB User

Congrats on making it through the toughest appointment! And of course congrats that everything is going well.

Closed Thread