It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

almac HB User
Question maternity leave

When do you usually begin your maternity leave? and how does it work? is it just allowed time off? or do you get paid for your time off? what is the whole process?

Old 04-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Re: maternity leave

well...it usually is 6 weeks but not everyone offers it...i work in an architecture firm of 14 people that doesn't offer it. even if i need to put the baby in dc afterwards..which is probably the case, centers won't take infants younger than 6 weeks...eiterh i come in to work with baby or will be out for those 6 weeks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

This depends on where you live. In the United States the FMLA (Family Leave Act) states if you work for an employer with more than 50 employees you can take 6-12 weeks of leave without jeopardizing your job (a job must be available to you when you return). If you state has short term disability insurance (you'll see SDI on your paychecks as a deduction) then you and your doctor need to fill out some forms a few weeks before your planned leave. They (your state) will take into consideration what you will be collecting from your employer (vacation pay and sick pay) before determining how much you can recieve from them. You must take any and all vacation and sick from your employer that is coming to you however. The state will subsidize the remainder.

If you work for an employer with fewer than 50 people you will run the risk just as ALMAC did. Talk to your employer and see what can be arranged. And if your state doesn't have SDI check with your employer to see if they are already paying for a short term disability insurance for you. You will have to contact them in order to find out what paperwork needs to be filled out. If they don't have insurance on you, and you don't have state disability, you are out of luck. You won't be able to pick up a short term policy (such as AFLAC) if you are due in less than 10 (or was it 11?) months. The carriers protect themselves from maternity mommies by this little trick.

If you live in Canada, they have a wonderful 1 year off without consequences of losing their job. I don't know anything further though.

I have no idea what the laws are in Europe.

Good Luck

Old 04-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hope5756 HB User

each work place is different... i get 3 months off PAID... so i can take my last month off and then 2 after the baby or whatever... i can take longer off if i want, but i only get paid for three months

Closed Thread