It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Anxiety & feeling breathless - help?

I started feeling like I couldn't catch my breath. It all started about a week ago. I'm at 16 weeks now and I understand that the breathlessness is common especially at the beginning of the 2nd trimester b/c of the hormones.

I'm also getting a bit of anxiety lately. I believe it's due to feeling out of breath. Can anyone recommend any ways to help w/ the anxiety. I feel like my heart is beating out of control and I know that's not good for the baby.

Can someone help?

Old 04-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User
Re: Anxiety & feeling breathless - help?

Thank God I'm not the only one who's been experiencing this!!! I noticed these symptoms right at about 18 weeks or so. I have low blood sugar---so I thought it was my sugar dropping at first and that I needed to eat. But that wasn't the case. It first started with having a hard time breathing and then progressed to having anxiety with my hear pounding really hard. Same symtoms when your sugar drops. Make sure it's not that. I notified my doctor and she told me unfortunately it's the excess hormones in the body--progesterone and it doesn't get any better. There's absolutely nothing that will help---as far as medications. It WILL go away when the baby is born! I can say though that the symtpoms are the worst from 18 weeks through 26 or 27 weeks or so. The symtoms have subsisded so far and I hope it stays that way (I'm 29 weeks right now). The only thing that works for me is to
R E L A X. I know it can be hard at times, but stretch your body out---don't sit scrunched up, don't slouch etc.... that way your body's breathing path is opened up all the way for the oxygen to flow free without any obstructions. Put your arms over your head and breath slowly and deeply... Again, make sure you're eating well. I had to give up coffee, soda, tea---anything with caffeine---which made the symptoms worse as well. I also have a short torso and long legs----so not much room for baby to grow in there----he's squashing all of my insides!!

I hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
(female)

iwonder HB User

Just wanted to let you know that you are both not the only ones . I am at 28 weeks pregnant right now and this hit me pretty bad about 20 weeks, my MW said the same thing that it is caused by pregnancy hormones. I have read some of the panic disorders and anxiety threads to see if there was any advice. It might be good to take a look if it won't make you feel worse or trigger any anxiety. I know a huge thing that is helping me is keeping up with my exercise every day, I notice when its been yucky out and I cant get out and walk those days are alot worse and I am also hypoglycemic so I too thought it was my blood sugar dropping, so I have went back to following a no white sugar/no white flour pretty strict hypo diet. I am not a very big girl at all either, and I haven't gained as much as my MW has wanted me to at this point, I wonder if that does have something to do with it. Lol, I'm definitely counting down the weeks and days!!

Old 04-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

Thanks infinitum and iwonder. My doc. is having me do the glucose test this week to see if I'm hypoglycemic. I have to say, the passed few days have been pretty good. I try to tell myself it's normal and to relax. I just hope it doesn't get any worse.

I'm surprisingly not gaining as much as I thought I would. I'm trying to improve my eating habits ... maybe that's what is helping me.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

No problem Micheybell!

As for hypoglycemia--I have it and have had it since about my early 20's and I'm 28 years old now expecting my child. I had a horrible experience with my glucose test several weeks ago. As a matter a fact, I posted my experience for people to read.

I think you might find it somewhat informative. Feel free!

Good luck on the glucose test!

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=371999[/url]

Old 04-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
(female)

iwonder HB User

Glad to help too! I have severe reactive hypoglycemia and I have am scheduled for my 3rd GTT test this pregnancy alone. I keep tryingto get out of it but they are so worried that I am going to develop gestational diabetes that they have had me do a 3 hr GTT at the beginning of each trimester. THANK GOD tomorrow's is the last one, lol, those thing s leave me a shaking, crying mess!! I am on my way to read your experience infinitum, I have a feeling it will be like reading about one of my own . Good luck to both of you!

Side note: Another thing that has helping me out BIG time, is regular visits to a chiropractor, I also have that pubis dysfunction thing which is why I started going, but I have noticed that it is really helping with the breathlessness and feeling like I can't take a good breath. I notice my posture is much better and I am sleeping so much better as well. This may be something that you want to research or check out.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
(female)

heathy_mama HB User

I get the pounding heart and the breathlessness too quite often and find it just makes me panic more which I know is not good, it is hard to relax when this happens. im 18.1 wks and it started quite early on for me but doesn't happen to often. but now being in the 2nd trimester I notice it more than before... can't wait for this to be done

Closed Thread