It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
(female)

RainyNight HB User
How long overdue do you have to wait?

I am only 35 weeks along but I am beginning to wonder what will happen if I pass my due date. I mean obviously I am aware that they will probably induce if nothing but I was just curious as to how long past the date will they start talking about inducing? Alot of people tell me that it wouldn't be more then a week pastdue, is this true? I'd like to hear about any information and personal experiences. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
(female)

denise6433 HB User
Re: How long overdue do you have to wait?

Most of the time it is when you near your second week overdue. Depending on your OB or midwife will mostly tell. One of my best friends was allowed to go over by 3 and a half weeks! crazy huh? I'm going about a week and a half over before they will induce but hopefully I will go before then. It's a week away so cross your fingers. And im sure you will go near your due date so I wouldnt worry about going over, but dont erase it from your mind completely because its always a possibility.

Always,
Denise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I live in Canada so I don't know if this is true anywhere else or not. I was 10 days over due when they decided to put the gel in to help ripen my cervix. I was then induced the next afternoon. That didn't even work and my OB had to break my water to kick start it. It was my choice to be induced before 42 weeks as I was so fed up!!! I don't think they let you go past 42 wks unless the situation is perfect and there is no complications at all.
My little man was huge at 9.6 lbs and was way over cooked! He was so dry and peeling really badly. He even had the "over due rash" that babies can get on their tummy, chest and fast. Poor little monkey.....

Old 04-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

when i went over due with my first they were only going to wait a week but i ended up going into labor a little bit before the scheduled induction with the help of cumin tea.
robin

Old 04-12-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
(female)

Safc-Chick HB User

In the UK they allow you to go 2 weeks over before starting you off.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

hi Rainy

They say that after 10 days past your due date the placenta starts to slow down and doesnt as much oxygen to the baby or nutrients therefore thye dont tend to leve you past this date too long.

In the uK they do leave you to 14 days but that is at the discretion of the doctor. The hospitals in my area tend to leave you till 10 days then start looking into inducing a person, if they dont induce they will ask a person back on a daily basis to check the babys heartbeat and babys movements

I wouldnt worry too much as im sure they wont leave you too long and beside natural labour is far better and easier in many cases than induced labour.

Closed Thread