It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 04:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User
hair color/highlights okay?

Okay so I haven't officially posted here yet because I'm still waiting for BETA test in one week. I had my transfer for IVF on Saturday and could be near implantation soon?? Anyway, I wanted to color my hair, (nothing extreme) just to give it shine and cover grays, or highlight it. I've read lots of conflicting articles saying that it's probably safe but to wait after the first trimester. So, anyone have advice? Should I just do it now, before I'm officially pregnant, wait until the first trimester is over or not do it at all? What's the consensus out there? Has anyone done it or asked their OBGYN about this?

Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
(female)

sandra2005 HB User
Re: hair color/highlights okay?

hi,
i have a friend who used to colour her hair every 3 weeks blonde throughout her pregnancy and never had any problems but i myself would be wary of doing it untill after the first trimester.
i think it depends somewhat on what colours you plan to use. for example blonde, done by bleaching or peroxide would most probably be harmful to baby b/c of all the chemicals etc but if you wanted to use a box DIY dye, like brown i wouldnt say it would be very harmful.

i think its really a matter of what you feel comfortable doing yourself,
good luck with getting a bfp. x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

Faythey HB User

According to my doc, it is perfectly safe. I highlighted my hair once in my 1st, once in my 2nd, and I need to again.

However, we usually dye all of my hair, and I've cut back to just doing highlights. So far everything has been going very well though.

I think this is something you need to make a personal decision on. I've heard many conflicting answers, and when it comes down to it, just do whatever you feel it right. Mothers intuition is generally the best.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Doc told me dying/highlighting the hair is fine! Unfortunately, I've had premature gray hair since I was in high school, so I have to cover those roots as soon as they start to get noticable! So far, I've had no problems. The doctor told me that she was most concerned with me having my hair dyed in an area that was most ventilated--the strong fumes are what can be harmful. Luckily, my salon is pretty big and very well ventilated. Use your best judgement.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

My doc said that the hair color was ok, too. In fact, he said that all of those "old wives' tales" were picked up by doctors because of all of the lawsuits. Doctors figured that if they told their patients to not do anything but sit and wait for the baby to arrive the chances that something that would go wrong and be blamed on them would be decreased.

For example, he told me that it was ok to have a glass of wine occassionaly, just to be moderate about it. He said, "2000 years ago they didn't have clean drinking water and fermented their liquids to kill the bad things in it. Most of the pregnant women drank beer and wine all the time." He also said, "I give and inch, just don't take a mile!"

Old 04-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
(female)

Safc-Chick HB User

I think the only reason they reccomend you don't is cause sometimes your hair can be in a different condition than usual so the colour may take slightly different to how it usually would. But I dye mine and I've not had any problems.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Safc-Chick -- That's what a hairdresser would recommend, not necessarily what a medical professional would say! But a good point, nonetheless!

Due to the hassle factor, the fumes, the cost, I've stopped coloring mine. Instead I bought some Nice and Easy Glaze that I use while in the shower once a week. Since my natural color is only one shade off from the colored part, the glaze evens it out a little, gives it a shine, and puts some body back into it.

Closed Thread