It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User
Attention Baby#2 - Pelvic Dysfunction Problem...what's it called

Hi Dawn and anyone who is having pelvic issues.
I remember you telling me a while ago about this problem but can't remember the name and wonder if I might be developing it. Can you tell me the name and symptoms?
thanks
Jodie

Old 04-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User
Re: Attention Baby#2 - Pelvic Dysfunction Problem...what's it called

Hey Jodie! I really hope you don't have this. It is called Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction and is fairly common in second time Mommies.
The first symptom I noticed as a stingy, sharp pain right where the pubic bone is when ever I stood up and started walking after sitting or lying down for a while. Next, I felt lower back (more like across the top of the bum) pains. Then it was really noticeable when I went to roll over in bed and cried out in pain because of the snapping and sliding of my pubic bone and pelvis bones.
What symptoms are you having? I noticed it getting bad around the 34 wk mark but it can start earlier.
I hope you are feeling okay!
I'm getting around, barely but I'm doing what I can. Just came back from my Mom's work and everyone there feels so sorry for me because of the size of my tummy. They are all saying that I look like I am carrying multiples. Oh well, since this is our last baby I will just grin and bear it!
Let me know how you are doing with the pubic thing and everything else.
Talk soon!
Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I am having a sharp pain in the middle of my pubic bone just when I first stand up and then for a bit while I walk. I also have pain radiating out from there all the way across to my thighs almost. My midwife wasn't sure if the baby was head down or not she saw me on Monday but I am sure that is what this pain is. I am 36.5cm already and not 34 weeks till Friday. I don't have any back pain like you describe...actually other than the same sciatic pain I've had all along which is better now than it was before Christmas my back is good. I do have pain when I move in bed, actually even if I don't move but the baby shifts (I think) I get an agonizing pain on the sides of my uterus radiating down to my pelvic area. I thought it was just round ligament pain.
Any tips to help with this?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Apparently sciatic pain and round ligament pain are good signs that you may develop Pubic Dysfunction. Also, the pain started in the pubic bone and then radiates to the thighs, mainly the inner thigh. I was told there is literally nothing I can do about it but deal with it. My OB said it will go away 2 days after baby is born and that it will actually help the baby come out vaginally because the pelvis is separated. Just what I wanted to hear! Also, he said even though it hurts to do things, I am not damaging myself in anyway so not to worry about that.
Just wait a few more days or even a week. If your symptoms stay the same or get worse it could be the beginning of it.
My beanie has been measuring 2 weeks ahead for this entire pregnancy as well and he is head down (has been since week 28) and really likes to press on my pelvic bones. OB said it's not the baby's fault this happens, it's caused by the relaxant produced by the placenta. Joy oh joy....
I just posted a seperate thread about lock jaw, yes, now I have that as well. Can barely talk, eat or swallow. Great!

Old 04-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Dawn you poor girl! Hopefully it will all be over soon.
I am definately going to keep an eye on this pelvic thing. If it gets worse I will definately ask the midwife and maybe the dr...might be a way to solve my issue regarding going off early!!!
Do you always have the pain or is it worse when you do certain things or not do certain things or at certain times of day?

Old 04-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
(female)

Beyondthesky37 HB User

Your post makes me think becaus I've had similar symptoms to you but I've been brushing it off as round ligament pain. I mostly have the pain after I've been laying down or sitting. I have a hard time turning over in bed at night because It's very painful. Then alot of the time when I do roll over my pelvic bone pops. It's also hard to get dressed because it's painful in my pelvic area to lift my legs. I've also experienced the low back pain. I wonder if I could have this as well.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Beyondthesky - Oh no!!! Sounds like you do have it. It is very difficult to dress, especially socks, underwear and pants because of the sharp pains in the pelvic and upper thigh area. The main problem I find is the actual pubic bone. So painful when I turn over!!!
Jodie - It is definitely the worst when I turn over in bed and when I am getting up in the middle of the night to visit the toilet. Man, it takes me several moments to prepare myself to stand up and take the first few steps because I know the pain and lack of balance I will be feeling! Not fun at all. The first few weeks weren't too bad but it just kept getting worse and worse. Now I also have the same swelling and loosening in my jaw and my molars don't meet anymore. Dr. said it is caused from the same thing in pregnancy as the Pubic Dysfunction.
If I stay relatively active it doesn't hurt as much. It's once I sit or lay down for any length of time that it gets worse and worse. I need to hike myself off the toilet with the towel rack because of the pain. Hopefully it doesn't come off the wall!!! DH will have to fix it if it does. Otherwise, he can come in the bathroom with me everytime and set me down and lift me off!! lol
Warning to those of you who already have children.... they will be able to out walk you let alone out run you. I have chosen to not go out with ds alone anymore as I can't catch him I want to!

Old 04-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
(female)

iwonder HB User

Wow! I can't believe I have actually found a place where other people have this too! I thought I was the only one, I even posted a question about it to a ***** doctor and he basically brushed me off and said that it couldn't possibly be as bad as what I was describing. Humph! Mine started a couple weeks ago after I took a long walk with my daughter. It hurt so bad and I had such an intense pressure bearing down on my pubic bone and causing such lower ab pain that it scared my DH so bad he took me in to the hosp to make sure it wasn't premature labor. I had to lay down on my bed to put my pants on because I couldn't lift one leg without it causing unbearable pain. My MW finally ordered an u/s and sure enough they could see the gap in the pubic bone, and that's the diagnosis SPD (symphasis pubis dysfunction) she said the same thing, not much for treatment, just take it easy, for some women it helps to wear those maternity belts but around your hip/pelvic area. But, that wasn't good enough for me , I don't like being in pain if I don't have to. I have found one thing that has helped me so much that I can now take walks with my daughter and bike rides, which up until 3 weeks ago was out of the question. Let's just say I am now in love with my local chiropractor!! :P I have been getting adjustments 3 times a week and the difference it has made is just unbelievable! There are still moments of pain, especially when I over-do it but this has made it so I can at least be mobile again. And, I am now 28 weeks pregnant (mine started at about the 22nd week) and I am not showing that much at all. At the college I attend most people don't know that I am pregnant yet. The MW and chiro did both say that the real "cure" for this is delivering the baby. Lol, and I am counting down the weeks and days!! I do have a question though for all of you that do have this...Have you noticed that some of the other preg discomforts are a bit worse with the pregnancies that you have had this vs. the pregs you didnt. My first pregnancy I wouldn't have known I was prego except for the basketball belly, this one I have had morning sickness still, heartburn like I can't even believe, etc...
The reason I ask is my MW and chiro said that this is caused because some women's bodies produce too much hormones (for SPD relaxin) during pregnancy, above and beyond what it is needed and that's what is causing it. Just curious if you have any other symptoms or if they seem worse in conjuction with SPD??

Last edited by iwonder; 04-12-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
(female)

angie22 HB User

oh Dawn, I really hope that you will deliver soon and easy just to make-up this awfulll pregnancy that you've had. I am embarased to talk about my easy pregnancy in front of you as I try to understand what you are going thru. Please keep your head up, the long wait it is almost done, just take every day at the time and don't think about tomorrow for now, look forward to the end of the day and hopefully it will go by easyer.
Jordin~ I hope that your simptoms will fade and go away .
Take care girls God bless

Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

iwonder - I have had a much harder pregnancy this time around than with my first. I'm not going to lie, my first was still rough on me near the end as I gained almost 70lbs and had tons of water retention and swelling. It was so bad that I couldn't bend at the knees because I couldn't get back up!!!
This one though has been nasty pretty much from the get go. I didn't have nausea but I've pretty much had every other problem under the sun.
My OB said that second/consecutive pregnancies are always tougher and the symptoms can be worse but that the reward for that is usually you have a much faster and slightly easier labour and delivery. God I hope he's right! I'm sick of all these joint pains and issues as I'm sure my dh and ds are too! I am constantly moaning in pain and complaining about something.
My jaw hurts so much right now it's not funny and getting up to go to the bathroom is a task in itself. I am pretty much fed up and have decided 110% that this is our last baby. I was hoping for a girl but am perfectly happy and content with my two precious boys. It's not worth going through all this again. Not for me anyway. I appreciate all the things I don't have right now so much (ability to walk and eat) and I just want them back!
Angie - I know you had it easy and that's okay! Some people are just lucky like that! I am envious, not jealous, but envious that you had such a wonderful pregnancy and fast delivery! I'm happy for you and don't hesitate for a moment to talk about it!!! Some of us are just not meant to be happy while pregnant!

Old 04-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Dawn - I am keeping an eye on this...not sure if it is SPD or not but it sure sends me for a loop sometimes. So do my intense braxton hicks...maybe there's a connection there too????
This pregnancy has been totally different from my last too but not so horrible...yet. With ds I was great till about 35 weeks and then it was pretty awful. And labour was absolutely horrible. So I am willing to put up with more discomfort all the way through this one for the chance at a 'normal' delivery and healthy baby at birth.

Closed Thread