It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User
Anyone else have lock jaw while pregnant?

I am in so much pain right now it's not funny. I am 38 wks pregnant and last night, while eating some yummy salty chips my jaw, on the right side, started popping in and out of place. I just ignored it and kept eating away. Over night it literally locked up on me and now I have this horrible ache when I move my mouth or try to swallow. I can only open it about a cm and chewing isn't really an option.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the relaxant in my system from being pregnant.
Does anyone here think I should call the Dr? Did I mention it's quite painful!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User
Re: Anyone else have lock jaw while pregnant?

Interesting! I never thought about it till reading this post, but my left side of my jaw is moving in and out of place constantly since I got pregnant. At times very painful and other times JUST ANNOYING!

If you do call your dr. I'd be real interested in what he/she says.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran

sickofit HB User

OMG!!! I had lock jaw (TMJ) maybe twice in my life before this pregnancy and since probably about 3 months along my jaw locks on the left side EVERY time I try to open my mouth wide. I didn't really think it had anything to do with being preggers, but now that you mention it it seems obvious - especially about the relaxin in our system. I'm hoping that this goes away after delivery. Mine only hurts when I try to take big bites out of food, brush my tongue or yawn, otherwise it's mostly just a huge nuisance. If it really bothers you I think you can get fitted for a mouthpiece to keep the jaw bones in place by a dentist.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Alrighty, I called the Dr and went in this afternoon. It has just been getting worse and I was really starting to worry.
Sickofit is right. It's called Temporomandibular Disorder involving the jaw joint. My Dr. said grinding or clenching can cause this as the cartlidge in the middle of the socket becomes inflammed and swollen.
I asked if it could have anything to do with me being pregnant and he said absolutely! The relaxin produced by the placenta affects all the joints in the body and I guess the jaw is no exception! So now I have this along with the Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction. Aren't I lucky!?!?
Come on baby... time to get the heck out of me!
He said it could resolve itself in a day or two or it could take a few weeks after the birth to go away. Just in time to NOT be able to enjoy Easter dinner.
I was also having the popping and discomfort only and then all of a sudden last night it just locked up on me and now I'm living on liquids. It sucks.
Do a google on TMD to get more information.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User

WOW, I"m going to google research it cause my jaw is terrible on the left side since I got preggers....MAN! thanks for the info from your dr!

Old 04-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Ya, lots of fun eh!?
I still can't open it more than about an inch and it's been over a week now. I can eat more stuff (got use to the pain I guess) but I can't kiss my dh properly, or fully enjoy a nice slab of steak!
I hope yours doesn't get as bad as this. Just be careful of what you eat and when the popping gets uncomfortable and constant, stop eating and rest your jaw. I think I over did it and that's why it happened.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Mine always shows up when I'm extremely stressed. When the TMJ rears its ugly head, that's when I know it's time to change something in my life (usually my job!).

Extremely painful...

Closed Thread