It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

mandimorris HB User
Umbelicial cord wrapped !!?? please help

We went for an ultrasound monday and i kinda noticed it but didn't say anything untill after and the ultrasound technician said that i would have to to talk to my doctor so rite after i left the hospital i talked to my doctor and shes been dodging the bullet but something about the umbilical cord being wrapped around her neck or being misplaced somewhere but umm yea i was just wondering if that causes mental disabilities like retrdation from lack of oxygen or should i not just worry about it till i go into labor and if so would they give me a c-section so while the babys going down the birth canal it doesn't tighten around her neck more My friend said that the do will probably send me to schooling on how to take care of a disabled child which scares me to death is there anything I or they can do? P.S I'm 26 weeks pregnant will they induce me early to solve this or what too? please help

Old 04-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User
Re: Umbelicial cord wrapped !!?? please help

I would suggest getting a very clear idea from your doctor on what is wrong first before getting too worried.
If the cord is wrapped they will likely monitor you very closely to ensure there is always lots of movement. I would think that you would definately have a c-section but not an induction...they don't want you have super strong contractions (what usually happens in an induction) or too fast of labour.
As for going to schooling on how to take care of a child with special needs...I don't know if there is such a thing but there definately isn't anything formal before they know what disability the child could have. I work with special needs children for a living and can't imagine anywhere that would provide schooling to learn to look after such children...every child is unique and blessed in it's own way and until they are born and begin to grow, it is impossible to know how 'disabled' they will be.
I would think that if your doctor sent you home without saying too much that it isn't a crisis or emergency yet, if ever. I would again suggest calling and insisting on an appointment to discuss this.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

3 or out of my 4 babies all had their umbellical cord's wrapped arounds there necks,X2....The first one, my son is 10 and since he has been in school he has had straight A's my second one with her cord around her neck is 6 and she is having some difficulty in Kindergarten, but she is not mentally retarted and my last one is 2 and she is just fine. You can't sit there and worry about it, because you don't know what will happen. I had natural child birth with all of them, which all of there heart rates were dropping while I was contracting which made me nervious...I wish you the best of luck....Ralinda

Old 04-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
(female)

Beyondthesky37 HB User

My first son had the cord wrapped around his neck when he was born. I had him naturally. At the time we asked the doctor if it looked like he would be disabled and the doctor said no he's too acitve to have any problems from it. He was right because he is normal and healthy.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

**Peaches** HB User

At this point I don't imagine there would be a lack of oxygen to the brain as the baby is not "breathing" in your uterus. I read somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that the cord can be wrapped around all sorts of things in there, and the baby often grabs it and plays with it. But everything that needs to get through the cord to the baby still gets there. So, from what I've read / learned, I'd say while the baby is still inside of you there will be no issues. I would be concerned about the delivery (as you are) but I imagine with most of the babies born with cords wrapped around their necks the Dr. had no advance warning. You are very lucky to know about this already, and they can now monitor it. I agree that if the Dr. isn't giving you special instructions it must not be an emergency situation. I also agree that you should insist upon discussing this so that you do not have all these unanswered questions! And let us know what you find out - perhaps we will learn that this is more common than we think?

Old 04-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
(female)

angie22 HB User

Hey, I think that you should talk to your dr. to see exactly what his opinoin is. I can tell you my experience with this: my ds was born with the ombilical cord wraped arround his neck twice. He needed to get oxingen and he did not cry right away when he came out. I can tell you for sure that I don't think they can get retarded mentally from lack of oxigen. Actually the cord wrapes tight around their necks when they come out .. . My son is going to be 4 y old in May and he has no sign of retardation. At 6 week after birth he was doing better then other babys that where born without his problem . . . .
Don't worry your baby is going to be just fine, you will see. My ds apgar score was only 4 and now he looks very good for his age, and he is a smat boy he speaks two languages already( english and my maternal language). Don't worry and take care

Closed Thread