It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User
No fetal movement?

Hi all...I'm currently 22 weeks, and I'm not sure that I've felt my baby move yet. The first two ultrasounds I had, we could see my little guy wiggling away, but the last one I had a couple of weeks ago, he wasn't...I assumed he was just taking a nap, but now I've been obsessing over it, because I didn't even think about it till the next day, but the doctor (first time I'd even seen that particular doctor in the practice) didn't even check his heartbeat....I've tried just laying quietly, I've tried poking my belly, even tried putting some headphones on my belly and playing music, but I've felt nothing that I can pinpoint as being the baby. I've also noticed that according to my scale here at home, I haven't really gained any weight yet...I don't think that's anything to be concerned about just yet, as I was a bit overweight to begin with, but if anyone has any advice or words of assurance, they'd be much appreciated!!!

Old 05-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User
Re: No fetal movement?

Hi Stace. I would think if there was a problem the doctor would have said something, but if you're really worried you should call him/her. I've read that a lot of people don't feel movement until 25 weeks or so. Is this your first pregnancy? A lot of people who feel early movement are on their second or third pregnancy, so they know what they're looking for. I think you should call the doctor for reassurance. Don't worry about bothering them as it is their job to help you. Let me know how it goes!

ps. I didn't feel anything until just recently. I am 21 weeks. Once I started feeling it, it was quite strong, so I'm sure before now he/she was moving but I just wasn't noticing it.

Last edited by Jonanner; 05-16-2006 at 12:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

with my first i didn't feel fetal movement until about 25 weeks.. and now i am pregnant with twins and i STILL didn't feel real good fetal movement until 25 weeks... no worries...

Old 05-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

I guess I'm just feeling nervous because I do find it odd that she didn't even check his heartbeat, you'd think that'd be the first thing she did!! And a bunch of my friends are also pregnant, two of them are only a week ahead of me, actually...and one of them has been feeling movement for a few weeks now, and says that her husband has even felt it....I know it's not like, a contest or anything, but with the scare we had last month (for those who don't know, I was at an elevated risk for a child with Down Syndrome, luckily, all is well there), I find myself stressing over everything!!!

Old 05-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI

I didn' t feel movement until about 20 weeks. Even now at 23 it is noticeable but not strong. They told me at the ultrasound I have a anterior placenta which means it is implanted in the front of the uterus and cushions the blows. The placenta can implant anywhere. So maybe that is your problem. I would call and say, "I know I just had an ultrasound, but I have some concerns." Then get them to let you in to hear the heartbeat. There is no sense driving yourself crazy. Discuss with them why the baby wasn't moving. You have a right to ask it is your baby and your body and your paying them. Good luck

Old 05-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

Also, don't worry that the doctor didn't see the heartbeat. He might not have measured it, but it's usually quite visible to an experienced doctor. He probably didn't even mention it to you, but I'm sure he saw it, because if he didn't, he would have been concerned. You can probably call him up and ask him directly whether he saw a heartbeat on the ultrasound, and he'll be able to tell you.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

Hope2Heal -

I don't think my placenta is any issue, as at my Level 2 ultrasound, they said it was in the right spot...unless it could move?

bxr35 -

It's not that we didn't see the heartbeat or anything...it's that she didn't even go near it!!! lol....normally, the first thing my regular doctor does is the doppler...but this doctor didn't do that, and she didn't let me hear it on the ultrasound, either....I was looking at the screen the whole time, and I didn't even see her measure it....she did a couple of measurements to check his overall growth, and tried to get a peek to get me a better gender shot (the one I got from my Level 2 is rather blurry), but little guy didn't want to cooperate and open his legs there....but that's it!! That was most definitely the shortest appointment I've ever had, I think I was in the waiting room longer than I was actually examined!!

Old 05-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I would call your doctor asap with your concerns, I had to have 5-6 ultrasounds in my first trimester alone, due to bleeding and spotting problems, and with everyone, they measured and showed the heartbeat. Alot of ultrasound techs don't put the volume up on the heartbeat incase there is something wrong, they don't want to worry you. If there is something wrong there, the doctor will talk to you about it, it is not the techs place to. I hope that makes sense. I never heard the heartbeat on any of my u/s accept 1, but they did show it and they did measure it EVERY time. good luck, keep us posted.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
(female)

My5Cats HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stace*
Hi all...I'm currently 22 weeks, and I'm not sure that I've felt my baby move yet. The first two ultrasounds I had, we could see my little guy wiggling away, but the last one I had a couple of weeks ago,

I haven't really gained any weight yet...I don't think that's anything to be concerned about just yet, as I was a bit overweight to begin with, but if anyone has any advice or words of assurance, they'd be much appreciated!!!
I just wanted to share my experience on this with you. I had an 11th week ultrasound, and the baby was flailing all around and you could actually see the baby's heart beating on the screen. My next appointment they picked up the baby's heartbeat on the doppler, but my husband didn't get to hear it.

Then I went in for a 19th week ultrasound, and I was told to bring a video tape and we were all ready to find out the baby's sex, but the baby didn't move. Up to this point I still hadn't detected any fetal movement. The technician poked and prodded and moved the transducer everywhere, but the baby didn't move. Finally she did one breif kick, but thetechnician was not able to collect all of the data she was looking for (or determine the baby's sex) so she scheduled a 23rd week ultrasound. I wasn't worried, because I thought that the doctor would check for the heartbeat during the appointment, so my husband could hear it...but she didn't. I went home felling very worried and thinking about all the things that a lethargic baby could mean...and why hadn't the doc checked for a heartbeat???

Then it occured to me that the ultrasound technician probably could see the baby's heart beating just fine and made a note of it to the doctor.

At the 23rd week ultrasound (just days after detecting fetal movement for the first time) the technician said the baby was moving so much it was like doing a pig scramble...but I could hardly feel it!

The baby never really became what I would consider "active" inside of me, but she was born healthy via C-Section.

As for weight gain, I lost more than ten pounds during the first trimester, and then didn't gain during my second, and then gained like 1/2 to 1 pound a week until the last two weeks when I had PIH, then I gained 5 pounds in one week. So what that really means is that I lost way more than ten pounds, because I ended my pregnancy at about the same weight I started it with. (and was about 20 pounds lighter than when I started after the baby was born...)

I hope some of this helps to ease your mind!

-D.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

Few notes and a small update....

Thanks for all of the reassurances. My doctor actually does ultrasounds in house, they don't have a separate technician, all of the docs are trained on it. I was looking at the screen the whole time and didn't even see her go near his heart, which was weird to me, because I also saw the heart beating on the first (at 12 weeks), and saw it all in detail during my level 2 ultrasound....

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better now, because I think I felt him moving last night...I was laying on the couch with one of our cats in my lap, and I just suddenly started feeling.....I don't even know how to describe it, but it was definitely different from anything else I've ever felt before, and it lasted for a good ten minutes or so....I really hope it was baby boy!! I go in for my glucose screening on the 31st, so if nothing else, I'll ask then if they can do a quick doppler check just to ease my mind.....

Thanks again for all of the reassurance...I'm sure everything is just fine, I'm just a worrier!!!

Closed Thread