It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User
Smile Just Found Out

So I was kind of suspecting it, but I confirmed it today with a pregnancy test, POSTITVE!! Yay. I have my appointment set with my ObGyn, but in the mean time, I need some advice. What do I need to stay away from? I know the obvious stuff like booze and cigs, (hehe, i stay away from that stuff anyways), but what about cleaning supplies and things like that? Is there anything that I should not use?

Also, since this is my first time to experience this, I am having some weird feeligs in my lower abdomen. Not pain or anything, just weirdness. Is this normal as my uterus changes?

Oh yeah, one more thing, I am dealing with some terrible bloating and gas (blar). What can I do to help with that?

Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User
Re: Just Found Out

Congratulations!

Don't do any heavy cleaning where you're inhaling the chemicals.

Most important at this stage is to make sure you get adequate folic acid, either from food or from a vitamin.

Can't help you with the gas -- I'm still dealing with it myself . But the weird feelings are pretty normal, I think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Congrats! A couple of suggestions for you:

1. Check out the thread for moms due in the same month as you -- get to know those ladies who you will be going through this journey with you.

2. Purchase a book (or two!) and maybe a journal about pregnancy -- I like the week-by-week ones myself. My husband likes to read it each week to see whats coming up with the baby and with my changing body in the coming week. I have a daily pregnancy journey that has a spot every 4 or 5 days to write my feelings and moods in (for posterity -- ha!). I think it will be neat to look back at both when I get pregnant again and for my kid(s) to look at years from now.

The books can answer many of the questions for you about what to be careful of, what to eat and what not to eat, what activities are safe, etc. Also, your doctor will probably give you a BUNCH of paperwork, books, pamphlets, etc. at your first visit (usually scheduled when you are around 7 or 8 weeks).

3. Check with your medical insurance co. (if you have one) about any special programs they have for pregnant women. Mine (BCBS of AL) has one called Baby Yourself where they have a nurse assigned to me that I can call with questions anytime during normal business hours and who calls to check on me every month. She also sent me a bunch of literature about questions I had (like about the various tests --CVS, Quad Screen, Amnio--) as well as some other goodies, like a 32 oz. insulated mug that I fill with water 2-3 times a day to make sure I'm getting enough fluids each day. They are motivated to make sure that pre-natal care is topnotch to decrease costs in case a problem arises that could've been avoided. It's nice to have that person I know I can call...

4. Use the search function on this board when ever you have a question -- chances are it's been asked and answered before (you are not alone!) Sometimes that's enough... If you do post a question it may take a day or so for people to get back to you.

And whatever you do, use common sense! Your immune system is greatly in flux right now (it's trying to figure out what this foreign thing is inside of you at the same time that other parts of the body are saying --- wait! This is a wonderful circle of life happening here.) so you are at risk for many things that are normally cautionary for "children and the elderly."

Again, congratulations, and welcome to the Pregnancy board!

Old 05-31-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

Another thing is if you have cats, dont go near the litter. I took a Have A Healthy Baby class and they told us all the things we can eat or not eat. The major thing was if you are going to eat lunch meat make sure that it is hot. Good luck...

Old 05-31-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
(female)

naynay408/916 HB User

Congrats!!
I am a January mommy!! This is my first, so do you have an idea of when you are due?
Janay

Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
(female)

Davidsgirl25 HB User
Talking Re: Just Found Out

HI! I just found out yesterday! look slike we are in the same boat and I totally understand about the gas it's annoying. I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow so I see if I can continue taking my meds that I am taking now. Well, I stopped taking them for the time being. He is going to refer me to someone I guess.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User

From the time of conception, and its totally weird because I know the exact date, I should be due at the beginning of Feb.

I will by a book. My sister read, What to expect when you're expecting. She really liked that one. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User

I really like the Girlfrieds Guide the authors name is Ivone (sp?). Funny and gave info that What to Expect didn't cover.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hope5756 HB User

I know it seems like it would be a good idea to buy that book What to expect when your expecting... but if you are worried AT ALL about the baby and if he or she is alright, i would not buy that book til around the 20th week... but thats just my experence... every little feeling i had, i would look it up in the book and come to the conclusion i was going to miscarry... it was horrid and i keep on beating myself up lookin at that book... and doctor too told me it wasnt a good idea to look at that book til you are further along...

Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

The two I have are "pregnancy week by week" and "the pregnancy journal: a day-to-day guide to a healthy and happy pregnancy".

The journal one is really cool because it will say things like "today the sworls are appearing on your baby's fingertips" or "today the baby's salivary glands will begin to function. Over the next three days, your baby will begin to make breathing, sucking, and swalling motions." It doesn't give any negative stuff...just the facts...

I bought in on eBay for about $10. It was about $20 in the stores (I saw it at both KMart and Target on the shelves). It's hardback and has spiral rings.

Closed Thread