It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User
First Appointment

I have my first appointment with a obgyn in two weeks. Can anyone tell me what usually goes on? I know that it's actually with a nurse practitioner the first time, but is there anything I should know before I go? Also, I think my boyfriend wants to come along, but I'm not sure if he should be or that I want him there. Did your husbands/bf's come along on the first one? Is it important that he does?

I don't know anything!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #2

jessica.ayers HB User
Re: First Appointment

My boyfriend came to my first appt. We got to have an ultrasound and it was great that he was there to see the baby They will probably get a urine sample, lots of bloodwork, and a pelvic exam. You will also get a chance to ask the doctor or np any questions you may have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

Faythey HB User

I'm not sure about a nurse usually doing the first appointment...I saw a nurse but only because my doctor was in labor.

As for what goes on...blood tests, urine test, general medical history for you and the dad, sometimes an U/S, and then they do a yearly Gyn exam.

My hubby couldnt go to the first appointment because he had to work, but i really wish he could have been there. It was really special seeing the baby on the U/S for the first time, and I think he's regretted it ever since. But if you're not comfortable with him being there then dont bring him. It is the longest appointment...

Old 06-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User

I was told by the receptionist that it would be the nurse practitioner. I wonder if that means no pelvic exam? That's what I'm worried and embarassed about, I've never been to a gynocologist in my life! Maybe I will bring my boyfriend, I just didn't know if thats what people usually do.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I saw a nurse practitioner on my first appointment and it is perfectly normal. I wouldn't expect to have an ultrasound on your first appointment. This is not normally done until later, but I am from the US and don't know where you are from. It could be different in other countries.

The nurse asked me a ton of questions about my health history, etc. Be sure to know your boyfriend's blood type b/c I was asked this and wasn't 100% sure when she asked. She also went over healthy eating and what to expect in the future with my pregnancy. They will most likely also want some blood and urine samples from you. I also had a pap done since it had been over a year. You will defintely have this done and believe me, you will be fine. These ladies do this all the time and are quick and usually really good. The whole appointment took a good two hours and was pretty easy.

My hubby didn't go with me to my first appointment and I didn't feel like he needed to be there. It was really all about me - and I am sure your boyfriend doesn't care to see your feet in stirrups if you have the pap exam! LOL! However, it is totally up to you if you want him to be there.

I didn't hear the heartbeat until I was about 10 weeks so you probably won't get to hear it at your first appointment, unless ofcourse, you are already at that stage in your pregnancy.

Good luck and enjoy every minute of it! Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by KeltoKel; 06-12-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

It is only my personal opinion but I would take him with you if I were you. They do ask questions about his family history also. But if you dont feel comfortable with that then dont take him. It is up to you.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
(female)

irishclover HB User

I'm not pregnant nor have had any children yet. I had my first pap exam a year ago and I made my boyfriend come in with me since I was nervous. I think for your boyfriend if he goes it would be a good learning experience for him and a chance for him to ask some questions if he has any about what to be prepared for. You could have him sit outside during any part of the exam that you feel uncomfortable with him in the room at that time. The first time you get a u/s you will definitely want him there. That is something exciting for both parents to enjoy and your first glimpse.

Closed Thread