It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User
Stretch Mark Prevention

I'm at 17 weeks and I've been using Cocoa butter lotion since the beginning of the second trimester to try to prevent/minimize possible stretch marks.

When do stretch marks start to appear?

How often should I use lotion to minimize them? (eg once per day, twice per day, etc)

I have some stretch marks already from growth spurts growing up....does this mean I'm doomed to get them now?

Is there any type of laser surgery to get rid of stretch marks after delivery?

Also, is there any way to prevent having extra loose skin on my abdomen after delivery??? how long until the stomach gets flat again with no loose skin???

Old 06-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User
Re: Stretch Mark Prevention

It's pretty much impossible to to say whether or not you will get them. Supposedly, it's genetic. The best thing I can tell you is to try to stay within the weight gain guidelines. I used olive oil everyday, twice a day. I was so proud of myself for not having a single stretch mark. Once I hit 36 weeks, they started popping up. When I delivered on my due date, I was covered with them. I got pretty big and it looks like I will be pretty big again (pre-pregnancy I was a size 2 and at the end I was around 190 lbs). 3 years after the birth and back down to a size 4, I still had sagging skin. I think there is a laser procedure to reduce stretch marks. I plan to get a tummy tuck when I am finished birthin' babies since it seems that once the skin is stretched so far, there is no going back. You could be one of the lucky ones who bounces right back without a stretch mark or loose skin. Cross your fingers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

You can use all of the lotions and creams you want, but in the end, if you're destined to get stretch marks, you're going to get them. They don't happen on the top layer of skin, and lotions and creams don't penetrate past the first layer, so in the end, they're pretty much pointless, except to help relieve itching.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
(female)

befer70 HB User

i would have to agree with the above posts, that it's genetic. both my mom and my sister didn't get them, so i'm hopeful. i have strechmarks on my thighs from when i was a teenager, and i can barely see them anymore. currently, i'm 24weeks 3days and don't have them yet (knock on wood), and i've been using coconut oil since i've started getting bigger once a day. but i have to agree, it's more to moisturize than try and prevent the marks. a friend of mine said she got them at the end but she's convinced that it was because she was scratching the itches she got, so try to prevent that maybe?? don't know. i personally have never heard of laser for stretch marks, but who knows, i'm sure some day they will come up with something like this. congratulations on your pregnancy, good luck and try not to worry too much about them.

B.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
(female)

moonstarlet HB User

I totally agree. Hate to be pessimistic, but just consider them a badge of honor and bravery. I heard about using vitamin e oil, shea butter, and cocoa butter from different sources. These sources swore by them. I used ALL THREE from the first week I found out that I was pregnant. I was stretch mark free until the seventh month, then, bam! My belly looked like a road map. They did fade a bit after delivery, but my abdomen remained flabby, and the marks are still aparent. I have been so busy loving my baby that I really don't care. Small price to pay.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

I'm preg. w/ my 2nd child and used palmer's cocoa butter for stretch marks both times. I gained 55 lbs. w/ my first and so far almost 30 w/ this one. Thankfully I do not have any stretch marks on my stomach. I have very few on my upper thighs.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
(female)

Angellica HB User

I use..........Vaseline-Soothing Moisture-with Cocoa Butter

LOVE IT !!!

-1st pregnancy gained ~29 lbs NO stretch marks
-this pregnancy gained 14 lbs so far -28 weeks -NO stretch marks yet~

Both my mother, and 2 sisters got strechmarks, so maybe I did not inherit that gene =)

I did have stretchmarks on my thighs and hips when younger at a growth spurt, but none on my belly with pregnancies.

-should note: had 1st baby 2 weeks early (38 weeks)

Old 06-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User

Thanks for the posts....how often did you use the cocoa butter???

Old 07-02-2006, 05:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

well i used palmers stretch mark cream and got none, my mom had some and everyone kept saying they were genetic well i got none yey. also i do not have sagging skin my tummy is a bit soft if you push hard on it but not like jelly i am almost 17 weeks pp and have not dieted or exercised. i won't wear tight fitting dresses because i have a tiny pot which does not look good to me but in trousers, jeans or skirts you can't see it so i don't stress. i though t i may get stretch marks and i had resigned to see them for what they are signs of mine and dh love creating our own babyso keep slapping on that cream i got dh to do it every evening and at the same time he loved talking to my bump

Last edited by weepyone; 07-02-2006 at 05:37 AM.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

I wouldn't necessarily say that they're genetic, but our bodies ARE predisposed to either getting them or not. Creams and lotions will NOT do much to prevent them, other than helping to keep the TOP layer of your skin moisturized. However, stretch marks happen UNDER that layer of skin, so the best thing you can do is keep yourself well hydrated, as that will keep those layers of skin hydrated as well, which promotes better elasticity. Believe me ladies, I used Palmer's religiously, and it didn't do a thing for me. My skin just does NOT have good elasticity. I have a small frame, and I'm designed to be a small person, so any extra weight on me anywhere will result in stretch marks....I even have stretch marks behind my knees from gaining a lot of weight in my thighs a few years ago. But pregnancy is certainly no time to be vain, and I'll gladly sport some stretch marks if it means that I've got a healthy child growing inside of me. They DO fade eventually, and there are even laser treatments these days for stretch marks, so it's no big deal to me.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I went 40 weeks with not ONE stretch mark..no brown line at all! I ended up going 10 days over due and then they showed up at 40 1/2 weeks. I was so mad! I used Mustela every day and night while pregnant and it did nothing to help. I did have one smooth tummy though!

Old 07-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

My mother had stretch marks both with my brother and I. I, on the otherhand, didn't get any at all. So, being genetically predisposed didn't apply to me. However, I think if you're going to get them, you most likely will.

I used "Mother's Special Blend" oil from the get go all over my belly, boobs, thighs and butt everyday. I think it also helps to maintain the weight gain---in moderation. Gaining to much weight too fast doesn't help either. Nice gradual weight gain is key so the skin has time to adjust accordingly during the baby's growth spurts.

I went full term---actually 3 days overdue---born June 28th, 2006.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum
I think it also helps to maintain the weight gain---in moderation. Gaining to much weight too fast doesn't help either. Nice gradual weight gain is key so the skin has time to adjust accordingly during the baby's growth spurts.
Ha!! Weight certainly isn't my issue here....I am ALL baby, I've only gained 5 pounds since my first appointment.....and yet, I have some pretty crazy stretch marks. Eh, such is life, as long as little man is happy and healthy in there I couldn't care less about how I look!

Old 07-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Both my mom and sister got massive stretchmarks. I was using Palmers cocoa butter lotion everyday and was actually thinking I was going to avoid them. Then at week 38, they started coming. And I only gained 25 pounds and it was gradual. The lotion did prevent my belly though from ever itching, but it's a big fat lie that it prevents stretchmarks. I was using that stuff before I was even pg.

Closed Thread