It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
(female)

deadsy HB User
loud music and pregnancy

Hi ladies, I hope this doesn't sound too silly... but when do our babies start hearing? I am 12w3d prego and I have a powerful stereo system in my car... lately I've been wondering if the bass was okay for the baby or not. My husband and I like to listen to the music loud... and up until just recently I haven't thought about whether or not this is dangerous for our baby. I've heard mixed things... but I have seen lots of pregnant ladies at concerts (I used to go to a lot of them) so I am not sure what to think. I am not even sure if my baby can hear at this point, but I feel like that should be coming soon. Does any have any insight on this? Am I just crazy? haha I'm a first time mom and can't help but worry over every little thing! Thanks for listening ladies!!

Linsey

Old 07-23-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Re: loud music and pregnancy

From what I have been reading, their ears starts to develop around 20 weeks. I get a newsletter each month and this is what month 5 says:

"Not to mention a sense of hearing. That's right, her inner ear, or cochlea, is developing. Believe it or not, your little one can now hear you speak. So why not sing to her for the first time? And don't be surprised if you feel her respond. It may be her first dance step. "

I also listen to loud music in the car. I don't think it is harmful to the baby though. From what I understand, it is pretty loud inside the womb to begin with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
(female)

Safc-Chick HB User

I worked in a niteclub with my first pregnancy and the doctor and the midwife both knew this and nothing was ever said so I assumed it was ok.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

When they say it's pretty loud in there, they're not talking about decibels -- they're just saying there's noise. Long exposure to loud noises is associated with hearing difficulties, even in utero.

That said, I wouldn't worry about the past, because it's true that a baby's inner ear doesn't develop until close to or after the 20 week mark. Furthermore, what's loud for you might not be that bad for him -- the sound has to travel through your abdominal wall first, remember.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
(female)

jennbb_lz HB User

My husband and I have been doing some renovations in our family room before the baby comes (in December) and have been removing tile with a hammer and chisel. I am also concerned with the babyís developing ears. I was going to help him out by removing some nails in the plywood below (where the tile was) but donít know if I should do this anymore. Could these loud banging noises damage the babies developing ears? I am 24 weeks pregnant now and was helping remove the tiles at 22 weeks. I can't find much info out there on whether or not loud noises, such as hammering would be harmful. I enjoy doing home renovation projects, as I was trained in architecture, but am worried that the loud noises of hammering (or rather removing of nails with a tool that you have to hammer) will be harmful. My OB said it would be fine, but I don't know... Does anyone know where I can go for research?

Old 08-27-2006, 02:07 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

I really don't think hammering is loud enough to be of any concern. A jackhammer, maybe, but not regular ol' hammering.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

When I was pregnant with my first child who is now 6 months olds I use to listen to loud music all the time after I read he could hear. He would move like crazy and loved the bass in certain songs. We had "music" time each day. It was alot of fun! Nothing wrong with listening to loud music, your baby will love it and dance LOL.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

But I've also read that lower frequency sounds (like the bass in most music) travel more easily through the amniotic fluid and reach baby more easily.

Since most people don't take appropriate hearing protection seriously for themselves, I doubt that most people are going to be that worried about their baby's hearing either.

From How Stuff Works: "Any sound above 85 dB can cause hearing loss, and the loss is related both to the power of the sound as well as the length of exposure. You know that you are listening to an 85-dB sound if you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else. Eight hours of 90-dB sound can cause damage to your ears; any exposure to 140-dB sound causes immediate damage (and causes actual pain). "

Examples of different decibel levels for common events:

Near total silence - 0 dB
A whisper - 15 dB
Normal conversation - 60 dB
Heavy city traffic - 85 dB
A lawnmower - 90 dB
Personal stereo at maximum level - 105 dB
A car horn, rock concert, a chainsaw - 110 dB
A jet engine, an ambulance siren - 120 dB
A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB

Closed Thread