It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
(female)

tangerinedream8 HB User
Question about cigarette smoke...

I live in a basement apartment and the man who lives upstairs smokes. When he is smoking the smell seeps down into the basement and I'm not sure if I should be concerned. Would anyone happen to have any idea if it's just the smell of a cigarette or if the toxins are actually in the air too?
I want to avoid that completely and it makes me nervous.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Exclamation Re: Question about cigarette smoke...

Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. The smoke you smell is the smoke seeping through, I would move if I were you.The smoke containing the chemicals is going onto the paint, into the carpet, furniture, and it probably coming through the vents in your building.Besides being pregnant and smelling it and it being harmful to your baby, something isn't right about an infant who smells like smoke. I would move.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

tangerinedream8 HB User
Re: Question about cigarette smoke...

I do want to move but it may not be possible at this time. I'm concerned about my health as well as the babys.. my mother died from lung cancer from smoking and my dad has had a heart attack and smokes a lot. I hate smelling it.. it makes me want to cry.
I feel so helpless though. We cant afford to move out and this guy wont smoke outside. He's a *****.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GoldenMom HB User

Perhaps you could speak to the person who manages your apartments and see if there is any way that they could talk to the guy who lives upstairs.

The good news is that smelling it come in through your vents is not as bad as actually smoking. I doubt that it is causing harm to your baby, but I can understand how you would be concerned.

Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I would quickly go out and buy one of those air purifiers. You can get them at the Home Depot or just about any store. Keep it running constantly to help keep your air clean.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
(female)

tangerinedream8 HB User

I was thinking about getting one or two of those.. but I'm not sure if all air purifiers will get rid of it? The ones I've seen dont advertise that they pick up smoke.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
(female)

Savason1 HB User

I would look into an air purifier or 2 and when buying it ask about the different kinds and tell them your situation and they can suggest the one that you can use. It may not completly solve the problem but it will help. Second hand smoke IS just a bad as smoking for you and the baby. It has been proven time and time again. If you can not move then try the air purifiers and talk to the manager and see if they can do anything. Sounds like the ventilation isn't very good in your building. What I can not understand is why people want to still put all those horrible toxins in their bodies? I am not trying to judge anyone just making a comment.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
(female)

tangerinedream8 HB User

Savason1,
Yes I think the ventilation is poor in the house. I's old and the smoke seems to come in through the upstairs floor/ my ceiling. My boyfriend and I are going to buy a few and see if it helps. It's not a ton of smoke.. but significant enough that I can smell it. We're going to place them several places around the apartment and buy filters specifically designed for cigarette smoke. I myself can't understand how someone can feel okay smoking around a pregnant woman or baby! My mother died from smoking and I don't understand why people continue to smoke around non-smokers and put others lives in danger when they know how bad it is. I find it inconsiderate.

I just PRAY that this solves the issue until we can afford to move out.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
(female)

tangerinedream8 HB User

I've also been told by the doctor that the baby is small.. that's one of the affects of cigarette smoke on a growing fetus! Who's to say it's not from the cigarette smoke?
My big issue at hand right now is that my boyfriend wont even ask this guy if he will just smoke outside from now on. They have lived together for 5 years now.. he just says we have to deal with it without even trying to talk to the guy. And when I mention him asking the guy.. he gets all upset. I'm not allowed to say anything because my boyfriend wants to keep things peaceful.. and I would rather stay out of that smokey landfill he calls home. Yuck.. the guys a pig.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

Being able to smell cigarette through a vent is not the same as sitting beside a smoker and actually inhaling the smoke second hand. I would not worry at all about the smell through the vents. If the smell bothers you, keep windows open for fresh air when you can.
Don't worry! While it's good to be cautious, it'll be a LONG 9 months if you worry about everything. Just do the best you can.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
(female)

tangerinedream8 HB User

CHJH,
Are you sure that the toxins aren't with the smell? I assume they are.. how could they seperate? I'm at 31 weeks now.. and yes.. while worrying is making things go by slower.. I cant help but do it. With the time approaching to when I will give birth.. I get nervous more and more about the baby being around it too.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

GoldenMom HB User

You have mentioned that the smell is nowhere near as strong as being in the same room as someone who is smoking. Therefore, I am relatively sure that the negative effect (if any) is significantly smaller than the effects of second hand smoke.

My mother smoked throughout her pregnancies with my brother and me. Neither of us had low birth weight or low intelligence.

Last edited by GoldenMom; 07-24-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Re: Question about cigarette smoke...

I wish people would quit defending smokers or smoking related issues. Smoking is a big deal. If the smell is coming through there are toxins and it propbably makes this ladies place smell like smoke, obviously if she can smell it. Although her baby may be small for other reasons, stop defending smokers, it is a nasty habit and no on should be around it, it has no benefits.

I have an Ionic Breeze Air Purifier, they run about $400-$500+ dollars but they are filter replacement free. You just wipe the pull out stick off.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #14
(female)

kaijamaria HB User

I'm not trying to defend smokers. It is a nasty wasteful habit, but my mom smoked with all three of her pregnancies, including with me, and we all turned out in perfect health. None of us have any problems, not even asthma.

But seriously, think about all the toxins you're breathing in the air anyways. Especially in the cities. I wouldn't worry about just getting a faint smell of it. That's just me though.

Air purifiers are good to have anyways. My friends have a really nice one and it works really well. Everyone in the household smokes cigarettes(and other things) and when I walk in I can't even get a slight smell of it. I think it was expensive, but it definetely works.

Closed Thread