It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User
Missed Rhogam shot

Hey ladies...I'm in my 32nd week now, and I realized that I never got my Rhogam shot at 28 weeks. I received one at 18 weeks, because I had an amniocentesis done, but from my understanding, and from what the perinatologist told me, I should still have received one at 28 weeks. Is it too late for them to give me that, and if so, what are any potential problems I may experience due to missing this shot? I'm so angry at myself, I should have remembered to say something to my doctor, I should have known she wouldn't mention it, because heck, she never even mentioned anything about me being Rh negative (though I already knew that I am, and I also already knew that DH is Rh positive, since we were both in the military and constantly had our blood drawn).

Thanks in advance for any insight any of y'all may have!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User
Re: Missed Rhogam shot

Nope, it isn't too late to get the Rhogam shot, if you need it. Call your doc before you're next visit and ask. He may be assuming that the shot at the time of amnio would cover the mid-preg shot as well. As long as you receive another at the time of delivary you'll be fine.
The reason you get the Rhogam is so that if you get exposed to the O + blood your O - won't fight it off. (Which is why they give it at the time of the amnio, in case any of the babies blood leaks into yours). So it can be very dangerous for the baby if you don't get it when you need it. Among other things it can lead to low birthweight, and in extreme cases diability and death. Many less serious cases can be treated with a blood transfusion for the baby @ birth. There are only 4K cases of RH sensetization in the US each year (I'm one of them). There are simple blood tests that can be performed if you are very concerned that you have been sensetized since the amnio, though you would have no way of knowing if you had been.
It is rarely a problem in a first pregnancy because most mom's haven't been exposed to the O+ blood until they give birth. In second pregnancies is when you usually see the problems.
Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread