It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

muna786 HB User
Another food question

Last night i ate a pre packaged ceaser salad and today a friend of mine told me i shouldn't have!! She said the ingred mignt not have been pasturized, should i be concened? I had no idea ceaser salad was bad!! now im parinoid
any advice???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
(female)

unadventurous HB User
Re: Another food question

I think your friend may have suggested that the salad wouldn't be safe because dressing for Ceasar salads will often be made with a raw egg, which should be avoided during your pregnancy, because of the risk of salmonella.

Try not to stress out about it, because you already ate it and you can't go back and change that. Just focus on staying calm and know that you'll be more careful in the future. I have eaten plenty of things and second guessed it afterwards... I think we all do, it's normal. I'm sure everything will be fine. Chances are the pre-packaged salads don't contain raw eggs - especially if it's from a grocery store.

take care and good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

muna786 HB User

I took a look at the back of the dressing and it said it may contain egg, anchovies, soy and milk. It didnt say anything about the egg being raw.... I guess i have to learn to read packages more carefully
but i am still a little worried!

Old 07-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

Unadventurous is probably right. Packaged dressing from the grocery store is probably safe. The raw egg wouldn't keep for the shelf life of the dressing. It's restaurants you want to be careful of. A lot of them make their own dressing which would include the raw egg.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

If you haven't been sick by now, you're fine. I don't think you should be TOO worried about that kind of thing. Don't eat very rare meat, unpasteurized brie cheese or sushi, but other than that I wouldn't worry.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

The only time I've ever heard of raw egg being used to make Caesar dressing is in very fancy restaurants where they make it right in front of you at the table. Otherwise, it's usually the slop that we all buy from Wishbone and Paul Newman. Of course there's eggs in most dressing (just like there is in mayo), but they've all been pasteurized to make them safe to eat (unlike with the homemade versions).

Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
(female)

Savason1 HB User

I had just found out that the cheese I had been getting from my sister's farm is unpasturized and I have been eating it the whole pregnancy. So I asked my midwife at my last appt. about it and she said not to worry and it is fine to keep eating it as long as I know the farm is a clean place. I guess cheese goes through a process that gets rid of some of the bacteria. She said if I was drinking the milk she would be a bit more cautious. Raw Eggs are deffinatly out. I wouldn't worry about it, I am sure some of the fast foods people put down have alot more chemicals and crap then salad dressing.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
(female)

crisvow8 HB User

I recently found out I was pregnant. The past 2 days I have eaten Caesar salads! I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to until after I ate it today! I freaked at first, but then realized there was nothing I could do about it. I think all foods should have a label on them just for Pregnant women! ha ha!

Old 07-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Cris -- Don't take Caesar salads out of your diet completely! Just make sure that the dressing is something out of a bottle, not some homemade version (which probably has raw eggs in it).

And Congratulations!!

Old 07-30-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
(female)

gio82 HB User

Now I want a Caesar salad. Whoever said you eat with your eyes first, apparently never met a pregnant woman. We eat by sight, smell, and clearly reading, lol!

Closed Thread