It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

Rachel ann HB User
At what point does one who is still working taking maternity leave?

I'm trying to get a sense of when most go out on maternity leave- 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks before due date. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: At what point does one who is still working taking maternity leave?

i started mat leave officially 3 weeks before edd and 2 weeks holiday before that thank god because ds arrived before i had officially started mat leave. so i finished at 35 weeks and boy was i desperate to stop working but then again i was ill which is why ds was delivered early.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
(female)

nicki.d HB User

Hi,
When you go on maternity leave is an entirely personal thing. If you want to spend losts of time at home relaxing and getting things ready for the big event then 2/3 weeks before is ok. However if you are still feeling fine and able to cope with work without stress then work longer, that way you get to spend more time at home after junior is born before having to return to work. There is no right and wrong, just whatever suits you best. Good luck!!

Old 07-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
(female)

Green Frog HB User

Yep, its totally preference and what your body can handle. I have a desk job and so I plan to work until I pop! This way I will have more time after the baby gets here to spend with the baby.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
(female)

Rachel ann HB User

Thanks Ladies for your responses

Old 07-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User

I planned on wokring until the day DS was due but the Dr put me on leave 5 wks before. I could not take the stress of work anymore and it was driving me crazy. And the stress was coming from my co-workers. Everyone was asking to rub, touch, kiss, see, you name it - my belly. I had had it. I told him one more day and I would kill the next person asking to kiss my belly. So what till the end and you and your DR will do what works best for you.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

It is most definately a personal choice. With my daughter I worked up until the last day. I got off of work and went into labor that evening. With my son, I went into labor at work. For me, it made the most sense to work up til the last minute because my husband and my mother both worked with me.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
(female)

Savason1 HB User

Oh my Gosh.......if someone other then my dh or dd's tried to kiss my belly I would FREAK!!!! I would physically push them away!!!

Anyway, I took 3 weeks off before having dd. Work was very stressfull and it was a very HOT summer and I worked in an office with no air so I said screw it. With this one, I plan on working up until the very end. It has been a good pregnancy and my job is now different so I have nothing to really worry about. We also get a year off in Canada with our babies so we have a bit of time to play with. I couldn't imagine only having 8 or 12 weeks off.

If you are feeling fine go to the end, if it is getting to be too much call it quits!!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
(female)

pengdent HB User

I also plan on working to a few days shy of due date. I work as an independant contractor in the health care field. Unfortunately there is no one to take care of my patients so I plan on taking only 4 weeks off for mat leave. The practice owner may hire an additional professional which isn't ideal for me b/c that will cut into my days but I guess I can't complain, I feel very blessed to be expecting.

Closed Thread