It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User
What do you girls think of 3d ultrasounds???

My dh really wants to do this. In fact I have an appointment next Friday and I will be 33 weeks. It won't be long until I see my little girl but Dh says this is my first and most likely last and that we should do it. I have seem some 3d pictures and some of them frighten me.The baby looks so squished and well...not too cute in some of them.Did any of you ladies have one and what did you think? I hope I am not sounding vain because I don't mean to at all! Should I or shouldn't I?????

Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
(female)

mammajess HB User
Re: What do you girls think of 3d ultrasounds???

Personally I love the 3D pics. I had it done at 20 weeks and again at 27 weeks. It was so great to get to see our little girl before she's here. And if the daddy really wants it done you should deffently do it. I bet you will be pleasantly suprised. Ask the tech to point everything out to you so that you can see everything. Hope you do it. I loved it. ~Jess~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
(female)

Rachel ann HB User

Definitely worth the experience! I just went last night for my 3D ultrasound- my baby boy is 29 weeks. The pictures were phenomenal- you could see his facial expressions- plus, it was 4 D so I was able to see his real time movements. We now have a CD rom of all the shots and a CD to experience the magic all over again. It is as close to the real thing as you can get.

Rachel

Old 07-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
(female)

mum2three HB User

I will finally get a 3d tomorrow morning and I can't wait. I have a level ll done at 19 weeks and it looked like the u/s I had 11 years ago. I was expecting what I had been hearing about. I am so excited!!! I am 22 weeks so it should be great. If you can I would do it.
Good luck

Old 07-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User

I really wanted this, but due to funds kept putting it off. My friend had one done however at 34 weeks, and she said if she had to have paid for it, she wouldn't have. Unlike having one at 20 weeks (which are amazing), you really only get a few good shots. They are so squished and cramped that you can't see them like you could earlier. If I had the money to throw away, I would still get one. But I don't and I can wait to see him over wasting money to see the side of his face.

-Jessie-
35 weeks

Old 07-27-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
(female)

Faythey HB User

I had mine at about 28 or 29 weeks and it was amazing. I think I would have paid double what we paid to do it again...the pictures are incredible!

You have to do it at the right time though...too early and it'll be weird looking, too late and the pictures wont be as good. When I went they said to do it between 28 and 32 weeks for the best shots.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

hi......i just went for my first big ultrasound at 20 weeks on monday. this was the anatomy and gender scan. they used the regular scan and i found that pretty neat including great profile shots however, the one 3d they did take was kind of creepy looking.....they said they typically don't do 3d's for people this early since most of them look like aliens in the 3d pic and they were right. however, i do plan on paying for a 3d scan further down the road. if you're at 33 weeks, why not....but i wonder if it's common like someone just posted on here, not to see as clearly since they're not as free to move around therefore pics aren't as clear.

where do we find out who does 3d scans now?

good luck!

Old 07-27-2006, 05:26 AM   #8
(female)

Faythey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchak99
where do we find out who does 3d scans now?
my doctor was able to refer someone to us, and we also compared prices and packages using the pamphlets that were in the waiting room.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:28 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

I actually had a 4D scan done yesterday and it was worth every penny I spent ($150 - not covered by insurance). We were very fortunate that my doctor's office offers this right there, so it isn't done at the mall or done by untrained professionals.

The scan was done by the technician that has done all of my scans (I've had a lot due to incompetent cervix and placenta previa). We got 45 minutes worth of footage (runs like a video, so we can see her move her mouth and suck on her cord and even open/close her eyes!) and then 4 - 4D photos. However, the technician burned all the photos (a total of 84) onto the CD for us and said we can take it to Walgreens or the like and print them out just like any other digital photo.

We should have only been in there for a 1/2 hour, but the technician spent over an hour with us showing us the baby and pointing everything out, etc.

I'm not sure where you are getting this done, but I've only heard good things about it. I do think my doctor's office is a little more advanced too, as it offers 4D instead of the 3D. The photos are awesome and I love having the video as well. So, very much worth it to me.

We will definitely be doing this with our next one as well, as it's a great item to have for them when they are older.

Good luck,
Trooper

Old 07-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
(female)

mammajess HB User

I by no means think that the 3D pics are "a waste of money". I went in expecting the baby to look scarey or alien like at 20 weeks. but when we did it that time(we did it at 20 weeks to make sure she was really a girl, since the doc wasn't real sure) She looked liked a full non alien baby lol. She was alot smaller than the one I did at almost 27 weeks. When I called to make the appointment they told me 25-29 weeks is the best time to have it done. Beings that the baby still has alot of room. After that the baby could stat to look smashed because of lack of room. So hope that helps

Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
(female)

mum2three HB User

I just had 3d/4d today. My doc actually does the u/s. She said at this fetal age (22 weeks) the 2d are better because the baby looks like a alien, they don't have a lot of fat, so their skin hangs. I could tell the difference, but she printed some in 4d(real time) and 2d. One in 4d he is smiling and has his hand on his head, it is so sweet!!! And we are 100% sure its a boy. I will have more scans at 32 weeks, and she said the pics will be better.

Closed Thread