It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
20 wks...how many more ultrasounds will i have?

hi all....as some of you know we had our big anatomy and gender scan on Monday.....was so mind blowing...wasn't in 3d but was very clear...love our profile pic!

Was curious how many more of these we'll have during the course of our pregnancy? I'm sure that the doc will not just want us to keep coming in monthly for heartbeat checks, right? or is this it?

want to see her again

thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Re: 20 wks...how many more ultrasounds will i have?

one more question....

when is it that the doc wants you to start keeping track of the baby's kicks...he said down the line, later on, he will ask us to monitor the baby's movement...making sure that it's acting normal.....i can't miscarry now can i? why do they want us to do that? is that everyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User

My doctor has never mentioned anything about monitoring the baby's movement.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User

It depends on your health and the babies health wether you'll get any more ultrasounds. (Unless you get one at one of those places where you can pay to get one done). Most healthy women won't get another after 20 weeks.

As for the kick count, it is more to make sure your baby is active and is not in distress. Some doc's want it done others don't. In the same practice 2 different doc's have told me 2 different things!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
(female)

Faythey HB User

I havent gotten an u/s since about 20 weeks, as they've had no reason to do one.

As for the kick counts, my doctor doesnt ask for the stats or anything, just wants to know that he's kicking a lot. I think, technically, because at 20 weeks theres a chance your baby can survive, it would no longer be considered miscarriage but preterm labor instead. So no, technically, you cant miscarry.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User

Yeah my doc doesn't do another one past that unless there is a problem, so if your having a healthy pregnancy this will probablly have been your only one.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

We don't have a 3-d ultrasound machine but I have seen what a baby would look like on an internet site I visit. I wish we had that. As far as how many ultrasounds need to be done after the 20th week one, I don't really know. This is my 1st baby and I am about 27 weeks now. The other Mother's have told me that they do an ultrasound at 20 weeks and than sometimes they do another one if they are worried about something, like if they think the baby's positioned wrong or getting to bid too deliver naturally. or if hey do a stress test and the baby seems to be having problem or other things. As far as movements and kicks. My Doctor asked me at my last appointment about it because the one before that I hadn't felt anything yet. He asked stuff like what time of day the baby kicks and how often, but he didn't tell me to keep track of it. Every Doctor is different though!

Old 07-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User

I have a question. If they can't determine the sex at 20 weeks (say the baby's legs are crossed) are you s.o.l. to find out what the sex will be before he/she is born? Or will they do another later on??

Old 07-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ament
I have a question. If they can't determine the sex at 20 weeks (say the baby's legs are crossed) are you s.o.l. to find out what the sex will be before he/she is born? Or will they do another later on??
Depends on your doctor, really....just like how many ultrasounds you get total depends on your doctor. I know a lot of doctors will do them at some point in the last couple of months to measure your fluids and to get an idea of how big the baby actually is, but not all doctors do. I'm 33 weeks now and I've had three ultrasounds....I would have only had two if it weren't for the fact that my quad screen came back abnormal. I'm hoping for at least one more, but my doctor hasn't mentioned anything about it. A friend of mine, on the other hand, is 34 weeks and has had...well, I can't think of the exact number, but she's had a lot more ultrasounds than me, and her doctor has done at least two since 20 weeks to confirm the gender of her baby because her little girl wasn't cooperating when they did the 20 week ultrasound.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
(female)

My5Cats HB User

At my OB office, in a normal pregnancy they might give a first trimester ultrasound if you think your dates are off, and then they do one at 20 weeks. If they cannot find the gender they won't do another one just to find out the gender, however if they can't get the full anatomy scan done because the baby won't co-operate, they will do another one a month later to finish it, and you will have another chance to find out the gender (this is what happened to me), and then they might do one if they think that the baby is getting too big (if your belly is not measuring with what your dates should be, etc...)

The u/s technician correctly predicted a girl for us on the second try of the anatomy scan (23 weeks), but my SIL had a complete anatomy scan at 20 weeks at the same office, but the baby would not uncross it's legs, so she was not able to find out the gender.

-Diana

Closed Thread