It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User
Question Pressure/Pain in buttocks???

Does anyone know anything about why I am suddenly experiencing a lot of pressure which turns into pain in my butt? It's usually only bad if I am standing still and when I start to move I feel some relief. I feel it in the whole lower half of my butt. It's very uncomfortable and gets worse the longer I stand, but only takes a few seconds to start up. I am currently 31w5d.

Has anyone else out there experienced this or does anyone know anything about it. Is this totally normal? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Pressure/Pain in buttocks???

It's probably some sciatica, which is caused be pressure to the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve starts about mid-butt cheek and runs down the outside of your leg down to your little toe on each side.

When I get sciatic pain (from a bad back) it usually starts as really tender-to-the-touch skin in my groin and inner thigh, then works it's way to the butt and leg and down the leg.

Another thing it could be is SI joint pain. The SI (sacroilliac) joint is a small bone that sits very near your spinal column, right about where your top pantyline would be if you had on a pair of bikini underwear. There is one on each side. It is carefully held in place by numerous ligaments and tendons
(and muscles), but that all gets shot to hell when we get pregnant because everything in the pelvis starts shifting around.

Anytime something is out of whack in your back/pelvic region the rest of your body overcompensates for it, which can cause undue stress on other parts of your back/pelvis. I can imagine that due to your increased weight and change in center of gravity that you are experiencing some problems like the ones I've described, and your other muscles and ligaments are trying to help out. When you move (as opposed to just standing there) they get some relief because of the movement, so they stop hurting.

You might ask your doctor for some stretches you can do to help you out... one I like is for the hip flexor. Stand next to your kitchen counter and hold on for support, then do a deep forward lunge. Make sure your hip on the side with the leg extended behind you is really opened up. You should feel a good stretch throughout your pelvis. Do that 5 times for a count of 10-15 on each side. I had to do that alot in physical therapy when I was recovering from back surgery and I still do it because it feels so good.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

newmom2be HB User

well iad this before i gave birth like a day before so i dunno but i wish u the best

Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
(female)

gio82 HB User

I don't have anything on the subject to state of relief or if it's normal.

All I have to say is; I knew pregnancy was going to be a pain in the butt.

Hope that at least made you smile and momentarily forget the pain.

-Liz

Last edited by gio82; 07-29-2006 at 10:45 PM.

Closed Thread