It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

confusedd1234 HB User
Question braxton hicks???

hi ladies.
im 23w1d pregnant and today i was getting sharp pains in my belly. I had few in my lower stomach and a few by my ribs. They didn't last very long, not even 30 seconds just a fairly quick sharp pain.

i was wondering if these could possibly be braxton hicks contractions?
what exactly do braxton hicks contractions feel like?

Also, i have read it could have to do with dehydration which could be possible because it is very hot out today.

Any other ladies had these sharp pains i described?
is it normal to experience this?

sorry, this is my first pregnancy so everything scares me

Any advice will help !!!

thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

oohjo56 HB User
Re: braxton hicks???

It could be a number of things. Braxton Hicks can start as early as 18 weeks and as long as they are only a few a day, they should be okay. If you are experiencing them several times an hour, you want to get it checked out as it could be a sign of premature labor. Also, dehydration can do that as well. Just keep an eye on it, if it gets to the point, like I said, that it's several times an hour, give the on-call doctor a call and see what they say. Keep yourself hydrated and best of luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
(female)

mum2three HB User

Braxton and hicks are not supposed to be painful. Its a tightening and release. I started having them very early (12 weeks)and it scared me. I had the sharp pain you described today when I was at the flea market.It's also VERY hot here. Once I got home to the ac I have not had them, so maybe it is the heat/hydration.
Stay hydrated and if it continues call doc.

Last edited by mum2three; 07-30-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I had what I thought were BH contractions around 20-21 weeks (I'm almost 23 weeks now) but after some web research I realized it was just cramping from my uterus expanding. They weren't the same as the round ligament pain I feel very low in my abdomen, instead they ran from under my rib down to my groin in one long line and lasted from 30 seconds to a minute. I also noticed that I "looked bigger" in the days following that pain (which happened for a few days 1-2 times per day). I guess it was just a growth spurt. I mentioned it to my doctor (as cramping) and he didn't seem to think it was strange or unusual.

Closed Thread