It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 01:16 AM   #1
(female)

stacienicole HB User
Question pregnanat with anxiety

I just found out im pregnant and I have panic attacks mostly at night when im trying to sleep. I fall asleeep for about 30 min to an hour some nights and im back up. Before I found out I was pregnant Doc put me on paxil and gave me a few ambien. Well that night I took a pregnancy test because I had missed my date by a few days. My mother passed away and I have been really stresed. Thought this was why I was late. But it turned out I was pregnant. Not I was wondering if, and what I could take to make me feel better but not hurt the baby. Please someone help.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User
Re: pregnanat with anxiety

Hi Stacienicole.

I am dealing with a similar question although I am not pregnant yet. I am tyring to find an approved anxiety med to take during prenanncy.

When I was pregnant the last time, I took a low dose of Celexa and my boy is healthy and blossoming into an outgoing toddler. My meds have changed since he was born so I have a few new issues.

Talk with you doctor and perhaps you could even talk with a local pediatrician about meds and pregnancy. This is what I have planned on doing.

Good luck. Pregnancy can be hard but it can be fun. I hope it works out for you.

-Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

haileysheets HB User

This is certainly not to contradict what Jen said in her previous message, but my doctor told me that Celexa of any dose is a no-no during pregnancy as it has been shown to cause birth defects in the last trimester. I am still TTC, but my doctor wanted me off the Celexa right away. Obviously, though, Jen did not have any problems with the Celexa...so I am not really sure what I think about it. I think I recall my doctor saying that Prozac can be taken during pregnancy for anxiety. I'd talk to your doc about it...there has to be something you can take. From someone who suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, I know it's not fun.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

I have had pretty bad depression and anxiety for about 8-10 years. I am taking Welbutrin and I just talked to my dr. about it last week. I'm 13 weeks and recently read that medicine companies do not recommend their use during pregnancy. This is with most depression/anxiety meds. So, needless to say I was very concerned. My dr. assured me that Welbutrin is fine to use while pregnant and breastfeading. Obviously, it's best to not use them. But to be completely honest, it will be a lot better for my health AND the baby's health if I'm not depressed and having panic attacks constantly. Welbutrin is a class B which means it's as safe as you can get while you're pregnant.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
(female)

tangerinedream8 HB User

I have sever panic disorder and when I found out I was pregnant I was on Celexa and taking Ativan twice daily.. or whenever I needed it. I don't know about the Celexa but I do know Ativan has some risks. It can cause genital deformation along with some other complications. WHen I found out I was pregnant and I had to stop these drugs cold turkey.. it was hard. I would freak out about 3 times a day from panic attacks and really wanted to rely on my Ativan to take all my fears away.
In all honesty.. it's best to not use any kind of drug to solve your problem. I've learned this the hard way. The drugs don't help you solve what's causing the problem and they only give you a quick fix. It's best to just let them run their course and do an exercise that makes you feel less anxious. After awhile they will stop and you feel so proud that you did it without drugs.
What I usually do when I feel a panic attack coming on is go for a walk. Walking is considered relaxing.. especially in a park setting or somewhere quiet. Basically doing anything active that wil keep your mind off of the symptoms you're feeling.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
(female)

stacienicole HB User

I want to thank everyone for caring enough to post a reply. I still cant sleep at night I just stay awake playing my daughters game boy until I fall asleep or sleep during the day. If I do fall asleep I wake up with a panic attack so I just deal. But I want to say thanks again. It has been alot of help.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User

I am 11.5 weeks pregnant and am taking medication for GAD (general anxiety disorder). Both my OB and my psychiatrist are in communication about my medication,etc....For me, the benefit outweighs the risk. I take a very low dose of ativan in the face of a panic attack. I am switching from one anti depressant to another. (for concerns during the third trimester). Talking to your doctors is the best advice!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

It's very difficult to have anxiety/panic disorder when you are pregnant... I speak from personal experiance! Before I was pregnant I was taking Valium at the offset of my panic and celexa daily. I was allowed to stay on the celexa they said until the third trimester but I have stopped taking it because I think it would be in the best interest of the baby. It's extremly rough going cold turkey... they say sometimes that your hormones will "level" things out but i'm not buying it. I was doing really well for the last couple of months until today. I got an ocular migraine which always scares the heck out of me.... so afterwards i have been shaky, paranoid, and jumpy. It would be interesting to know if there are anxiety meds out there that are ok.... my dr's don't seem to trust any of them.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User

It is hard...I hear ya...But I will not get off the meds unless I was recommended--been on them for 10 years. I have not got the advice to get off my meds..It is hard enough being pregnant with anxiety and panic.... I am scared--would like more support.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #10
(female)

Just~A~ HB User

Some would say that you have to weigh the risks and benefits of taking meds vs. not taking any. I have asthma, and there is no way I could stop taking my Serevent inhaler. Last time I checked, breathing is pretty important for oxygen flow (I'm being cheeky, sorry). I only take what I need, tho, just one puff a day instead of the prescribed 2.

I didn't have serious problems with anxiety before, but since I found I was PG this time, I have had some mild anxiety attacks. Mainly out of fear of m/c. I am extremely afraid of that (I had one early on with my first pg). I plan to take warm bath if it happens again.

~A~
via IUI #2 w/ injectibles

Old 08-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

I didn't have panic attacks but I had a lot of anxiety and sleepless nights. I was on paxil also and ambiens didn't even work for me so I had a stronger sleeping pill prescribed for me. I got tot the point where I had to increase my dose because I got immune and if my husband (who is about 50 lbs bigger than me) took one he was out like a light! I found out I was pregnant and was put on a medicine that was in a class that was suppose to be safe for pregnancy. You see medicine falls into like 3 classes a,b & c. A is like it means it has been proven to be harmful to a pregnancy, b is some side effects but not always and c is no proven side effects to a pregnancy. I was changed to the less harmful meds and later on I was told I would have to stop them because they may not be harmfull in the early stages but they could be later on if I kept taking them. I stopped taking them and continued with my counseling and trying to stay busy preparing for the baby and then I found out I had an ectopic pregnancy. I tried to keep my head held high and continue my counseling and kept doign projects to prepare for the baby I would have someday. I am now succesfully pregnant again and nearing my 8th month! So what I suggest to you is to do the same and try to get a less harmfull prescription from your Doctor and get into a project to keep yourself busy and maybe even seek counseling or a someone you can talk too.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User

Hi A! You are right... u do need oxygen to breathe. If u need to take some type of meds during pregnancy, u certainly have to weigh the risks and benefits. And they should be discussed with professionals and NOT done alone. I have a great team of doctors (OB, psychiatrist and psychologist). Hang in there A and all of u who are struggling through your pregnancy. It is tough--I know. Thanks for the support. I was taking a very low level of a benzo, but am tapering....It is really hard.... Best to all of u!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User

Alleycat, I have a really great team of doctors working with me. The A, B, C, D categories are important to look at with meds but they are also vague and broad---and the FDA changes the recommendations often. Talking to a "good" psychiatrist is very, very important....... I say "good" b/c I have had horrible psychiatrists before. Best to u Alleycat!!! Congrats on your pregnancy!!! If u dont mind me asking, what med are u on now (if u are at all)? Yes, I am seeing a counselor too...for talk therapy. My edd is mar 5th. Thanks!!!!

Closed Thread