It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User
Re: Pain Medications for Labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope5756
my doctors reccomend it, they say pain medication helps moms bond better with the babies rather than being so upset that their child caused them sooo much pain... and babies can sence when there moms are up tight and this sometimes makes breastfeeding harder becuase of the painful time you had getting them out... but if you are relaxed and in no pain, the baby sences comfort and so this is my few reasons for getting pain meds...
I can't believe a doctor would even say something like that. I don't know any mom, myself included, that has had natural birth and been upset that the child caused so much pain. As soon as that baby is out, the pain is gone. It's an instant relief. I totally disagree that the baby would "sense" the mother's discomfort after birth and be reluctant to nurse.

Although I believe that childbirth is a natural process, I have nothing against anyone who would opt for meds. If the reason you would take meds is because you think you might feel resentment or whatever towards the baby and have a hard time bonding, I would hope no new mother would be that petty.

Intrathecal is a mix of an anesthetic and narcotics. You have a much higher chance of the baby's heart rate dropping and also of having a sleepy baby at birth.

Last edited by sarawithnoH; 08-01-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

when you all mention pain, for us first timers.....what does the pain feel like? is it sharp? excrutiating? can we move when we're in pain or is it so bad we can't budge?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i have never heard of intrathecal, or maybe just not heard it called that. But with an epidural, the medicine is going into your spine, so your baby does not get any of the medication, therefore is very alert at birth, or both of my boys were and nursed with in minutes. but with iv medicine that is in your blood stream, some does get to your baby, that is why they won't give it to you really late in labor, because the baby will be extremely groggy, and sometimes not remember to breathe.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i guess it depends on your pain tolerance. I did get an epidural with both of my children. First at 2 cm., i did not have to much pain before that it just felt like really really bad cramps. and with my second i was convinced that they we going to send me home even after they told me i could get my epidural that i waited until i was about a 4 or 5, and it was several hours of strong contraction. i know some people who can talk and walk through them, but not me. I would be in the middle of a sentence and just say "hold on" and then when it was over finish my sentence. I know it is doable with out pain meds, i just liked my epidural.
It's the pain for the week or weeks after that no one tells you about.

but it is true, you forget the pain, or not really forget forget, but what you have now is worth all the pain in the world. And you can get through it knowing at the end you will have a precious baby.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #20
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

Manchak, the pain is different for everyone. Some people handle it better than others or have a better support team to help them through it. Typically, you won't have pain between the contractions.

An intrathecal also goes into the spine but you don't get a catheter like with an epi so once it wears off, you would have to get a new injection. The meds are different, too. A small amount of the narcotics do reach the baby even though it's not given by IV.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
(female)

mum2three HB User

... and the baby CAN go straight to the breast without being to tired... they say pain medication helps moms bond better with the babies rather than being so upset that their child caused them sooo much pain... and babies can sence when there moms are up tight and this sometimes makes breastfeeding harder becuase of the painful time you had getting them out... but if you are relaxed and in no pain, the baby sences comfort and so this is my few reasons for getting pain meds...
Both my children were breastfed shortly after delivering, it wasn't them who was tired it was me.But I don't know about anyone else, but after the birth you get a second wind once you see your bundle of joy. Both deliveries were without pain medicine, and I never resented my babies, and both were very strong nursers. I may get something this time around,I don't know, but I think I will bond with or with out . It sounds like your doc gave you some silly info.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #22
Veteran
(female)

hope5756 HB User

Well i see i got everyone in a fuss over this... kind of funny really... anyhow everyone keeps saying my doctors gave me wrong or "SILLY" information... well to be 100% honest with everyone, i have not been there for 700+ births... so i would just have to go off the information from the professionals... anyhow i think we should shut this thread down before anyone gets to uptight.

Closed Thread