It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hope5756 HB User
Pain Medications for Labor

Is anyone out there going to take pain medications? I know I am. We learned all about the different types in Lamaze class 2 weeks ago. Then i talked to my doctors and they all said the Intrathecial (SP?) was what they reccommended... so thats what my dh and i decided would be best for me... Studys show that if you are more relaxed during labor and are not under intence pain, that you are more likely to bond better with you baby.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Re: Pain Medications for Labor

for those of us first time moms and those of us who haven't been to the class yet, what is that exactly? i DO plan on getting an epi.....want to focus on the birthing process and not on the pain!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

when i had my dd i firstly had an injection of diamorphine which didnt affect me at all , then i was in so much pain i decieded to have an epidural, that was the best thing in the world,i felt no pain at all and was able to really enjoy the experience. although an epidural isnt without its risks, i would recommend it to anyone

Old 07-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

I am 35 weeks and dh and I have decided to try to go as long as I can without any pain meds. We have said that if I need something for pain that I will try a shot or something like that. I plan on breastfeeding and had a class for that a while back and they showed a video of different senarios with pain meds or no pain meds and we would love to see our little girl "crawl" to the nipple right after being born (it is possible I saw it happen). If I have to have ANY pain meds she wont be able to do that because she will be too sleepy. We decided that if it really comes down to me not getting any relief with other methods I will go ahead and get an epi (would like to try with out).

Old 07-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Re: Pain Medications for Labor

Between 90 and 94% of women choose a pain medication these days. It is most beneficial to any healthy woman and baby to not choose any drug. Pain is part of the process and having drugs and synthetic hormones in your body doesn't allow you body to do it's job as it would without the medication. You are also not experiencing pain continuously throughout the labor process, you have breaks between the contractions to relax. I just wanted to put this OPTION out there as well!

Last edited by OrangeCouture; 07-31-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCouture
Pain is part of the process and having drugs and synthetic hormones in your body doesn't allow you body to do it's job as it would without the medication.

Could you explain Orange what you mean by this? I mean, your job is to get that baby out of you - meds or no meds.

The OP asked about medicine options for labor - (something I also need to think about.) We all know going without meds is an option - but the OP wanted advice on meds, not to be told she should think twice about using meds or that the pain isn't always, "that bad" during labor. We are all different.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

newmom2be HB User

hey guys i dditn have any pain medication and its not as bad as everyone says and i m bad with pain ...lol well i recomed (sp) go without it until u cant to it anymore by the time i wanted some i was already done........good luck to yall

Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

The most important thing to remember is everyone is different. I had one friend who had an epi with her first and then a c-section after 35 hours of labor and swore she would not have any medical intervention with her second. She gave birth at home with a midwife -- but again, only after 37 hours of extremely intense, extremely painful labor -- and she was glad she did it. On the other hand, another friend swore she would get an epi first thing, but by the time she when to the hospital, she was too far along, and even though she gave birth within two hours, she complained for weeks about how she didn't get her epi. All a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I'll just have to see how I feel. The females in my family tend to have trouble giving birth, and if I'm in a lot of sustained pain, I'll probably have pain relief.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

Even though I'm only 6 and a 1/2 weeks pregnant, I already know that I want an epidural. If there were a waiting list, I'd put myself on it now just to make sure!!

Old 07-31-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Sam I Am Not HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJH
Even though I'm only 6 and a 1/2 weeks pregnant, I already know that I want an epidural. If there were a waiting list, I'd put myself on it now just to make sure!!
LOL! That was cute! Congrats on your pregnancy!

Yes, meds are one of those issues that are all personal decisions. Same thing when it comes to breastfeeding vs. bottlefeeding. We know the breast is best, but plenty of babies are bottlefed and are just as healthy.

Like some of the earlier posters, I am not opposed to meds and will do what I feel is necessary when I go into labor. If I can be strong and go without them, then more power to me. If I can't, then bring it on!!!!

Old 07-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
(female)

mum2three HB User

With my first child(14 years ago) my water broke, and I wasn't even at 1cm! I had a long hard labor, no meds. With second, I waited till I was really contracing till I went to hospital, I was at 5cm, they gave me pitocin as a convience (doc was playing golf), and I was screaming for meds, but it was to late. The doc never made the delivery. This one I am considering an epidural. I have hard piggyback contractions.They go from front to back and front again. I am miserable. I would like to relax during this birth( thats a oxymoron-relax during labor). But we'll see, I will go as long as I can natural.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i have 2 boys, ages 4 and 1, and had an epidural with both. and would not have done it any other way. I had 2 wonderful birth experiences. With the first one i was laughing and talking about tatoo make-up, between contractions I don't like that groggy feeling, so did not want any IV medications. And luckily my doctor is a strong believer in them too. With my first son i got it at 2 cm. and with my second at 4cm. it did not slow down my labor and my husband and i had great experiences . And i bonded with my beautiful baby boys just like every other mother.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope5756
Studys show that if you are more relaxed during labor and are not under intence pain, that you are more likely to bond better with you baby.
I'm sorry, but this is untrue.

And also wanted to throw out there, med free labor can be done! It's not as hard as some people think. Every woman goes through labor differently.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i'm sorry, i read that wrong. I agree with you i think no matter what you choose you will bond with your baby. Any way, i think birth wether it is med free or not is a beautiful thing. and like someone said it is up to you. I admire those who do it natural,but for me the wennie of all wennies i am thankful we have a choice.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

hope5756 HB User

I cant beleave no one is thinking about the intrathecial (SP?) it is sooo much safer than the epi or so my lamaze coach and doctors say... and the baby CAN go straight to the breast without being to tired... with the epi you cant walk and sometimes cant move at all... but with the intrathecial you can move about and have all your sences... just no pain... and like i said before... my doctors reccomend it, they say pain medication helps moms bond better with the babies rather than being so upset that their child caused them sooo much pain... and babies can sence when there moms are up tight and this sometimes makes breastfeeding harder becuase of the painful time you had getting them out... but if you are relaxed and in no pain, the baby sences comfort and so this is my few reasons for getting pain meds...

Closed Thread