It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
no baby on scan....? advice needed

hi,
i need some advice for a friend of mine. She told me she hadnt had a period for 3 months and was being sick everyday, so i told her to do a pregnancy test. Then she started spotting. Well, she went to the hospital today and she said they did two pregnancy tests that both came up positive, but when they scanned her they couldnt find the baby. She has been texting me quite upset asking why her tests came up positive if shes not pregnant. Shes concerned they could of mixed her scan up with someone else's. I thought this seemed a bit strange but i know at our local hospital they wont tell you the results of the scan until afterwards so i guess it is possible. Anyway, the hospital have told her she could of miscarried or got her dates wrong and shes got to go back for another scan next week.I did think that maybe she had miscarried but that the pregnancy hormone was still present, giving the positive result, but the thing confusing me is that, if she was as far as 3 months pregnant something would of shown up on the scan even if she had lost the baby. And if she had lost the baby earlier she would of started bleeding heavily by now, but she said shes just had light spotting. It all seems really strange. my question is, could it be possible that she actually is pregnant in this situation?
I dont want it to sound like im talking bad about her, but ive been told she has lied about being pregnant before, and i know she has been desperate for a baby for a while, so im wondering if this is some sort of cry for attention. i am worried about her and do want to help her, but something just doesnt seem to add up, and she is texting me about this all day.
what are peoples opinions on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: no baby on scan....? advice needed

I agree with you that the things she is telling you just don't add up. The timing, the lack of significant bleeding (beyond light spotting), the phantom scan, the lack of periods, etc... Maybe she has the condition known as "phantom pregnancy" or "false pregnancy" where she REALLY wants a child and her body is trying to comply with her mind, except for that small detail of no embryo.

I think all you can do at this point is support her until her next doctor visit next week, maybe even go with her to here for yourself what he/she says (if your friend will let you).

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

With my second miscarriage, I had cramping for a couple of months. When I was 12 weeks, I had some brown spotting. My uterus had grown some but when I went to the hospital for an U/S, there was nothing in my uterus. Just an empty sac. I never did find out for sure what had happened but I assume it was a blighted ovum.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

thank you to you both for your replies.
sara with no h- im sorry to hear of your loss. would a pregnancy test still show positive in this situation? my friend didnt mention much about the results of her scan she just said they couldnt find the baby, she didnt say they had confirmed a m/c or anything. anyway, i have an update from her, she said she has been told her uterus is a horn shape like a heart so the baby could be over the other side of it, does this make sense to anyone??

Old 08-01-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

I only took 1 test about a week after my period was due and it was positive. I would think that a hospital test would still show positive if in fact she lost it. As far as the shape of her uterus goes, I have no idea. I would think that at 3 months along they would be able to see something. Have they tried to hear a heartbeat with a doppler?

Old 08-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

as far as im aware they havent, and im now convinced all of this was fantasy as there is so much that doesnt add up. if she was as far as 3 months and it was a missed miscarriage or a similar situation to what you sadly went through, they would of confirmed this at the scan.
she texted me about an hour ago to say she has lost the baby because a "lump of skin" had fell out of her. well surely this lump would of showed up on the scan. she has just told too many lies about this sort of thing in the past. ive found it really upsetting this time.
thanks for all your advice anyway guys

Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

Sorry, but I disagree with you. It could very well be that she's lying, and you know her better, but it's quite possible an embryo stopped developing at six weeks, still small enough not to show up on a scan (some do, some don't at that stage) but still big enough to see when they miscarry. How big does she say this lump of skin was?

Old 08-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

Lump of skin? That sounds strange. My first miscarriage (I've had 4) happened when I didn't know I was pregnant. I had 10 days of SEVERE cramping and very heavy bleeding. On the last day, I was laying on my couch in agony and thought that maybe if I went to the bathroom I would feel better. So I went and pushed pretty hard for a couple of minutes and an egg sized "blob" fell out. Once that happened, the cramping and bleeding eased up almost immediately.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

A good friend of mine first knew she was miscarrying when she passed a lump of fleshy material that was less than 1 cm long. I could easily see someone describing that as a "lump of skin," and she didn't start bleeding heavily until the next day. So who knows?

Sara, how far along were you to pass such a large body? Are you sure it wasn't mostly blood clot?

Old 08-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

bxr35, I would have only been about 4 weeks. It wasn't a body. It was clot-like.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
(female)

troubletracy121 HB User

Ok i had a miscarriage last december i was 13 weeks into the pregnancy. i was going in for my first ultrasound and there was no heartbeat but the embryo was present. my doctor schd. a DNC for me and with in 2 weeks of the DNC the pregnancy horomone was gone.

Did she consider the possibility this could be an atopic pregnancy?

Old 08-03-2006, 04:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

hi,
i did think of that too, but she said they have said its not ectopic (at 3 months you would of expected serious pain and the tube to have ruptured i would of thought anyway).
anyway, heres the latest with this situation! shes said an internal examination revealed that her uterus is clear and she will not need a D&C, but the doctor has told her that her uterus is still swollen and that her cervix is closed, so she may still be pregnant. she said her boyfriend is one of triplets so she thinks she could have one or more babies still inside her and apparently they are going to do another pregnancy test next week. Its confused me how her cervix can still be closed if she is miscarrying?

Old 08-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

Could have opened and then closed?

I don't know.

Her bf being one of triplets should have no effect whatsoever on her chance of multiple births -- though it might on his daughters'. The genetic predisposition to multiple birth is only effective in the mother, as it operates by encouraging multiple ovulation.

Closed Thread