It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

mammajess HB User
scheduled C-Section...What sjould I bring to the Hospital?

Well Hello Ladies~
My doctor called me yesterday to tell me that I now have my C-Section scheduled for October 11th at 7:30. I'm so excited. But now I'm thinking I hear all kinds of thing you need to bring to the hospital when you are gunna go through labor but I won't have labor.... So what do I bring to the hospital with me? Can anyone help me? Oh and any advice about anything to do with having a C-Section. Thank you ladies I appreciate it a bunch

Love Jess Sorry about the spelling mishap in the title. I just noticed it and it won't let me change it now oops hehe

Last edited by mammajess; 08-01-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: scheduled C-Section...What sjould I bring to the Hospital?

some baggy knickers that don't press on the wound, other than this i can't think i was rushed in and my hospital bag was not even packed properly lol. good luck i am sure it will go well. stay relaxed is my advice really there was nothing to worry about with my section just that i wanted ds to be ok long story we were both unwell. the op itself was great not that it was a party lol just i had no problems. oh anothe rpiece of advice when you first cough or sneeze after the op press onto your wound lol otherwise you won't be able to do it as you will be concerened you will split on the wound lol you won't though you will just worry it might. if you have any specific questions post them i will try to help oh and the spinal block did not hurt at all the stuff they wiped my back with was cold that was the only uncomfortable bit. i did not feel the catheter either they put it in after the spinal had taken - the spinal takes straight away i am not sure about an epidural though. do you know which you are having?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
(female)

mammajess HB User

I do not know whick I am having. I plan on talking to my Dr. about that next time I see him. Whiich isn't till the 25th. So hopefully he will have the answer to that then. Thank you for replying and the advice

Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I had to go straight from my last dr's appt to the hospital, and DH said he couldn't find my bag when he ran home So all I had with me was my contact solution and glasses (they let me wear my contacts in surgery), deoderant, toothbrush and toothpaste, and baby powder (which was heaven sent since I couldn't get up to take a shower right away. Made me feel not so icky).. I was more than happy just hanging out in the hospital gown. It was very comfortable (i've heard some hospitals aren't that comfy though) and easy when I needed to get up to go potty and breastfeed. I didn't use my boppy at all in the hospital. I used basic makeup... I did bring DS' baby book but wound up not writing anything in it until we had gotten home. I was just glad it was there so they could put stamp his footprint in it. I had DH pick me up a book I was trying to finish.

Also, I have to add on to Weepy's statement about pushing on the incision when you sneeze, cough, etc... My hospital (I've heard others do this to, you should ask) gave me a stomach band. It was AMAZING. It's like a very strong ACE bandage, about a foot wide, with velcro at the end. You wrap it tightly around your stomach and it eleminates the need to push at all on your tummy should you need to for anything. It helped alot with breastfeeding also.

Just wanted to add, most hospitals use the spinal block for just a section. Epi is usually only when you are in labor beforehand and ask for one then... Then they use the same catheter. A spinals effects are alot quicker than an epi's.

Last edited by soon2bmommy; 08-01-2006 at 01:09 PM.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
(female)

pregogirl HB User

Congrats!!

I had a scheduled C-section too. The most useful thing? A ROBE! It was great because it did not press on anything and it is easy to breast feed (if you decide to do so).

Also a make-up case with what you usually use plus a mirror to put it on! Many times I had visitors and wanted to put some make-up on but either the bathroom was being used so i couldn't use the mirror, or I just didn't want to get out of bed.

Toothpaste and a toothbrush. Always feels good to have your own from home.

Don't forget about the little one - bring newborn clothes to take him/her home in.

Hope this helps!
Pregogirl

Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

i had an unplanned csection after laboring all day. i know some of the most important things to me were:
1. slippers-i didnt want to walk around on the hospital floor with my socks.

2.a pretty nightgown or robe. people will be stopping in to visit and tons of photos will be taken,plus after all that you go through it just feels good to at least FEEL pretty! lol!

3. i brought my dd's baby book, i did feel out just a little of it while all the details were fresh in my mind. plus it is so much easier to just have them put their foot and handprints while they do it for the birth certificate too.

4. of course make-up and a mirror.

my hospital also had those ace bandages and it was a real life saver, i wore it for almost 3 weeks!! it helped out so much. also you will want to take some clothes for your new baby, a nice outfit for the hospital pictures and also one to go home in. i think thats about it, the important thing is to relax,breathe and everything will turn out fine. good luck and take care!!

Old 08-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
(female)

mammajess HB User

WOW!
I love this. Thank you all so much for replying to my question. You ladies are so much help at this confusing time. Any advice is greatly appreciated. You all don't even know what it means to me.. Thank you again. luv Jess

Old 08-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

someone brought me some expensive shower gel which was great to use while in hospital it just made me feel a bit more special - ah bless. plus after delivering your baby you need some pampering.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

hey!! i just realized that your baby will be born on my neice's birthday!! she will be 1 this year!!! lol!

Old 08-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
(female)

mammajess HB User

hehe That's cool. I like stuff like that. Happy way early birthday to her hehe. Everyone on this site make me more comfortable with having a C-Section thanks

Closed Thread