It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

star_shine_2010 HB User
Talking new update :)

Hey everyone, went in for my weekly appt. this morning to check on the little babe. Sorry if you guys are going to get annoyed with weekly reports. I'm 14 weeks tomorrow. Everything looked good on the ultrasound as far as her development. My OB found a heart murmur today. Her hb was 187bpm, which is a little on the high side, but apparently expected. Her movement was great. So everything's progressing good for her having Trisomy 18.
I'm still fighting with my stupid insurance!! They are a PAIN!
I have a question, although I don't know if I hsould post this on the teen-pregnancy board, since alot of those girls might be in the same situation. I am on my dad's insurance and I'm covered for prenatal, but my labor isn't. Once I have the baby, I'm off my dad's insurance!! I don't know what to do. Does anybody have any good insurances or information on this thye can give me?
p.s. I think I've decided to name her Abigail Grace

Old 08-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User
Re: new update :)

I'm so happy to hear Abigail Grace is doing well. Lots of people have heart murmurs and it is no big deal. And you hold steady with that stupid insurance company! (I really hate insurance companies...not the people who work for them, but the big corporate giant that thinks they get to make all the decisions).
Sorry, I don't know about losing the insurance after the baby is born, but I bet if there is a solution to be had this is the place to find it.
You hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User

Good to hear that you two are doing well

As far as insurance goes... it pretty much boils down to the fact that insurance companies can make up whatever rule they want regaurdless of how bogus it is. But I think you should call and make sure that what you've heard is true, because it may not be. I am on my mothers insurance, and for that matter am still her dependent. I don't work, and wont, and it allows me to gain full finacial aid for school because of her income. While when my ds is born HE wont be covered, I will be, so long as I stay her dependent. I don't even live with her, but cheat the system by not changing my mailing address (I live with my fiance) on any important papers. This also stops us from getting married tho... but thats a whole other stress on it's own.

Hope you and yours are well

Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

star_shine_2010 HB User

Hey girls. Thanks for the replies. I have contacted my insurance and those are the rules. I as well don't live at home, and haven't for about a year and a half. I don't know if there are exceptions to complications, etc., which are expected to happen if I make it to term. This whole situation is a lose-lose situation. I'm really upset. I finally got authorization I have been waiting for, for the weekly ultrasounds. That was a PAIN IN THE BUM!! I was paying almost full price for my ultrasounds. My insurance is reimbursing (*sp) me for the expenses, I just have to provide the proof that I was paying. grrrrr.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

I don't have much advice for you, because insurance companies are notoriously difficult about taking pregnant women, and the most expensive time is likely to be at and just after birth. My husband had trouble getting insured because I was pregnant, and I was covered by COBRA!

Your best bet is to find a group you can join, where they don't scrutinize individuals as carefully. However, unless you are at school and can get on a school insurance plan or working and can go with your employer, you might be out of luck. Maybe it would be worth taking a part-time job for coverage -- a good friend of mine has epilepsy, and when her parents' insurance wore off, she started working part-time at Wal-Mart just for the insurance. She stayed there for several years because she was in transition and needed benefits. Whatever slack WalMart gets in the press for employee relations, its employee benefits package is outstanding.

Whatever you do, you want to do it ASAP. Employer plans often have a three-month waiting period before benefits kick in, and even a normal, uncomplicated birth is extremely expensive.

Last edited by bxr35; 08-02-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #6
(female)

Just~A~ HB User

Hi, star_shine. Maybe you could look into Medicaid as well. Even if you are working, you might qualify for some assistance for yourself and of course your baby - well, especially the baby!! I have a friend who is a waitress and single mom, and she still has Medicaid, I think. (States' rules may vary, though).

Best wishes! And I enjoy your updates.

~Angie

Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

star_shine_2010 HB User

I have a part-time job, but I don't know how good their insurance is, but it's worth looking into. I'm just extremely nervous about the birth of this baby. I konw it's going to be VERY expensive. This has already been a very expensive pregnancy and I'm only 14 weeks. Still have quite awhile to go.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

star shine, i admire you for your strength.
i don't know what state you live in, but i live in louisiana, and with my first baby, my husband and i were both in young and in college (unplanned) and was just making it. we had blue cross, blue shield which covered 80% of everything which is great if there are no problems. but 20% can add up fast if there are. i didn't have problems, but was having a time comming up with even the 20%.
i never thought about medicaid, because i had insurance, but someone told me to look into it. so i did when i was 36 wks. and i had to take a pregnancy test that day, which i thought was funny because i was huge, but they needed it for the paper work. it is based on income. any ways it covered everything my insurance didn't. and if had no insurance at all it would have covered 100%. they even sent me something to fill out about back pay. and it automatically covers your baby for the 1st year of its life. problems and all. a friend had a baby in high school who had to have open heart surgery several times during his first year of life, and she did not have to pay a dime.
so if your state has medicaid, i would definately look into it, i just went to our local health unit.
hope this helps. good luck.
you and your baby are in my prayers. and i LOVE the name abigale grace.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
(female)

mandimorris HB User

I had medicaid during my pregnancy and it was heaven sent at my 6 weeks check p they kick me off tho but my babe is till on there till shes 18 so at least my baby will have insurance i don't kno what me and my husband are going to do specially since he has asthma but i'm only 18

Old 08-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

mandi,
you may need to check into the medicaid, all is well for now. but usually you have to reapply each year. they will send you something in the mail. my son was on it for his first two years, i had him at 19, then after my husband graduated from college, we made too much money and he didn't quailfy. so just be aware, and make sure she is covered. and if you are 18 then you may still quailfy. go luck and congratulations on your baby girl.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

Why don't you call the insurance regulator for your state. You can find the website for your state's regulator at

[url]http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm[/url]

From there, hopefully you can get some information as to whether the insurance company is or is not required to cover the birth. Also, you might want to ask advice before you join a new insurance plan just in case there might be some problems getting coverage for the birth with the new plan. Also, they might have some information available for you on government programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_shine_2010
Hey everyone, went in for my weekly appt. this morning to check on the little babe. Sorry if you guys are going to get annoyed with weekly reports. I'm 14 weeks tomorrow. Everything looked good on the ultrasound as far as her development. My OB found a heart murmur today. Her hb was 187bpm, which is a little on the high side, but apparently expected. Her movement was great. So everything's progressing good for her having Trisomy 18.
I'm still fighting with my stupid insurance!! They are a PAIN!
I have a question, although I don't know if I hsould post this on the teen-pregnancy board, since alot of those girls might be in the same situation. I am on my dad's insurance and I'm covered for prenatal, but my labor isn't. Once I have the baby, I'm off my dad's insurance!! I don't know what to do. Does anybody have any good insurances or information on this thye can give me?
p.s. I think I've decided to name her Abigail Grace

Old 08-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
(female)

My5Cats HB User

My DH works full time and all three of us qualify for medicaid (called MaineCare here). It works like an HMO. There are like 5 and 10 dollar co-pays but they are automatically waived if you are pregnant. As far as I know mine covered my unplanned C-Section and all my doctors visits. I hope this helps.

-Diana

Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
(female)

mrzshorty HB User

Do a search for DSHS and the state you live in. You can apply online and I wouldn't imagine that you would not qualify. I am pretty sure you can keep the insurance you are on but DSHS will kick in on anything that is out of pocket. You will be able to have coverage at least 6 mo after baby is born and in my state(WA) the baby is also covered on my coupon till she can get her own, which your baby will qualify. I am pretty sure if you can not afford medical insurance through a job or your company doesnt offer medical(like Mine) your kids will always qualify for medical, not the same for you unless you have a medical emergency or pregnancy. Good Luck and you are a very brave person and I wish the best for your little girl

PS I am 4 days till my daughter comes and her name is going to be Abigail Nevaeh Rose. Abby for short.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Yep, Medicaid is the way to go. It should cover you for about 6 months after the labor, and will cover the child for up to 5 years (God willing you make it that long). You're baby will also automatically be covered by social security disability due her condition, even while you wait to apply (there are some things that they just assume are going to be approved, so they cover it during the 6 month+ app. process).

Your dad's insurance is kicking you off because once you have a baby you are no longer considered a dependent. Even if you are 12 years old you can have a child and can now apply for state assistance because you are considered an emancipated minor. Don't bother with the insurance regulator... it's a pretty standard rule for most insurance companies.

You might also call a couple of insurance agents and find out about purchasing an individual policy. Open enrollment in most states is in the October/November time frame, and if you miss it you have to wait until the following year. Call an agent that writes for several different companies so they can assess your needs and look at different policies from different companies without you having to reapply at several different agencies. You might even be able to find some online. You may be surprised at the type of insurance you can purchase inexpensively.

Good luck!

Closed Thread