It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User
High Blood Pressure Worries

I am a nervous easily stressed person. I was like that before I got pregnant and on occasion had to take meds off and on until the problem was under control. I had an ectopic my 1st pregnancy so the 2nd time I got pregnant I was considered high risk. The Doctor has been very cautious with me now and has sent me for testing as he says "just to be safe" and it turns up everything was fine. Lately for probably the past few months at my Ob appointments I came in stressed because I come right from work on my lunch break. It's the only time I can squeeze in my appointments without using pto time, which I need to save for maternity leave. Anyway I was stressed today because the Doctor was running behind and I worried my appointment would run past my lunch hour. My blood pressure was about 102/96. When the Doctor took it again it was down too about 110/82. His usual nurse was not there and she has been checking my blodd pressure on a weekly basis for about a month and it was fine. The Doctor said he noticed a small amount of swelling in my legs. He said even though I checked out fine elsewhere,the baby seems fine and he isn't really worried about it, he still is ordering lab tests and another ultrasound just to be safe. My husband already thinks this Doctor is a quack for sending me for so many other unneeded tests. I want to be honest with him but I also want to give him a better reason than "the Doctor is on one of his crazy assumptions again'. I thought of telling him that they want to check the size of the baby to make sure he isn't growing too big for me to have but I don't think he will buy that because I am just starting my 7th month. He usually tells his mom everything too and she already thinks I am wierd because my pregnancy wasn't like her's or her daughter's when they had their kids. My friend said she is like me but she is only maybe 2 months along right now and she said her sister had high blood pressure during and before pregnancy and it never lead to preclampsia or anything else. What should I tell my husband and is this Doctor being too cautious? Do I sound like I have a problem with hypertention or preclampsia? I myself don't think I need too go?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure Worries

I know how you feel. This is my 2nd pregnancy. In my first pregnancy, I had bp that was elevated going into it, but was not medicated. My OB didn't seem me until about 11 weeks at which time my BP had started to go down. So, when it went back up to where it was before pregnancy towards the end, they all started to panic. I kept telling them that it was getting up to where I had been, but it didn't matter. I ended up induced and I still have questions regarding whether that was necessary. I would prefer never, ever to go through another induction.

Well a year before this pregnancy, my BP spiked up and I've been on BP medicine since (Aldomet which is supposed to be safe during pregnancy). So, this time, I've had to do the 24 hour urine test (1st to get a baseline and 2nd because my pressure went up slightly).

I understand how much of a pain it all is. But, the consequences could be very bad ( I won't go into them here) and not just preeclampsia. So, it's good for the doctors to be vigilent and it's fine as long as you don't have a knee jerk doctor who's going to take rash action.

One thing too...I don't know if this is an issue for you or not. But, if you have larger arms, make sure they are using the larger cuff. If you need a larger cuff and they are using a smaller one, it will make a big difference in your BP.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

The nurse who took the 1st reading said the cuff seemed a little small and then she was interupted by another nurse who came in. When the Doctor came about in 5 minutes later, I told him the other nurse had mentioned the cuff was a little small but he took my blood pressure again with the same cuff but this time it had went down.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

The nurse who took the 1st reading said the cuff seemed a little small and then she was interupted by another nurse who came in. When the Doctor came about in 5 minutes later, I told him the other nurse had mentioned the cuff was a little small but he took my blood pressure again with the same cuff but this time it had went down.

Closed Thread