It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
(female)

nightangel73 HB User
Pregnancy after 35

Ladies sometimes people tell me scares about being pregnant after 35. Is it really more difficult to get pregnant between 35-40? I know after 35 hormones drop down little but does it really make it harder? Excuse me if this silly question..

Old 08-04-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
(female)

mandrea HB User
Re: Pregnancy after 35

It wasn't harder for me - I'm 36, will be 37 when ds comes (I'm 31 wks). Dh and I were actually being careful since we were not TTC, and I got preg. in spite of our precautions. So for us it was very easy. Have you had previous pregnancies? It was easy for me to conceive with my two previous children, so that prob. is an indicator. Are you preg. or TTC? Good luck!

Mandrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User

I think there is a genetic componant involved as well. I was 35 when we concieved but it took 9 months. My mom was 34 when she had my brother, and my grandmother was about the same age when she had my mom, so I figured it wasn't over for me, but I think I cut it kinda close. I'm no doc, but from what I've read it has to do with the age of the eggs, since you only get a limited # and they get old (just like we do). Good luck!

Old 08-04-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
(female)

scrappin HB User

I haven't had any problem conceiving after 35 either. I am currently TTC and hopefully will be pregnant this month (second month). I got pregnant at 37 after only 2 AF (was bf my dd) and of course dd, I was 35 when she was conceived. But I hadn't had problems before that either. So best of luck to you.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

My mother had twins at 36, but she had had four children before that too, and I know she tried to have more afterward but could not. On the other hand, she was also anemic, which could have contributed to her difficulties.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
(female)

mcohen HB User

I was 35 when I conceived and am 36 now at 17 weeks and I had no problem getting here!

Old 08-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
(female)

moonstarlet HB User

35 is an artificial number, not the cutoff for no problems vs problems. The older you get the more problems (statistically) you may have during conception and pregnancy. They just "picked" 35 because they have to pick an age to standardize what is considered higher risk.

It's like at 18 when you are considered an adult, although you don't know anything significantly more or act significantly differently than you did when you were 17 and 11 months.

Don't worry so much about your age. Just do the best you can to stay healthy and in shape during your pregnancy.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
(female)

JoJo's Girl HB User

I agree with the other posts; age is just a number. I know people who have had healthy babies into their 40s, but it is also true that it can get harder and your risks for certain genetic problems increases with age. Get evaluated by your doctor so he/she can get an overall picture of your health and to make sure you don't have any preexisting problems that could hamper conception. I will be 38 when I deliver my dd at the end of this year, and this is my first child. I had a m/c in Feb of this year, but we conceived on the first try then, and on the first try for this one too (I am currently 18 weeks, 4 days). Lots of luck to you!

Old 08-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
(female)

mum2three HB User

You may not have any problems getting prenant, but from my own experience the pg is harder. I had 2 pg in my early/mid 20's, and now I am weeks away from 36 and as my body ages I feel it more now. Especially now that I can't take anything. But on the flip side, I have a friend that tried 15 years to have a baby (many mc,) and fianlly at 38 she carried to term. and I don't think she ever complained. So it different for everyone.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

I was 36 when I had my first (35 when conceived) and I was almost 38 when I conceived this one due in November.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

Well I am 33 now and currently on birth control because I am not married. So you know I'm waiting to get married to have babies. So the way it looks I will be ttc around when I'm 35. Even tho I'm getting close to the 35 year old my body looks just as athletic as when I was 25. I'm begining to grow a few gray hairs but that's just about it hehehe I believe there is still many myths regarding pregnancie after 35 so it's nice to hear your feedback.

I did a little research and this I found. I read yesterday that it says that it says if you are healthy and you have no sterility problems and you are active the chance of having a healthy baby is no different to when you are in the 20's. And that late pregnancies are better to prevent ovarian and uterine cancer as the uterus gets clean out with the pregnancy.

What I read is that if your plan pregnancy after 35 prepare first, keep fit before you get there and don't wait a year of trying, just go seek help if you don't get prego in six months.

To the one that pointed on the eggs getting old is not that egg get old is that hormones drop down little by little, after menopause accelerate.

Thank you ladies for sharing! Keep the feedback comming.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #12
(female)

Just~A~ HB User

Some women have problems with a "diminished" store of eggs. I believe it is more likely in older women, but I know of younger women who have it, too. The doc can tell by doing an FSH blood test on CD 2 or 3. If the level is above the cut-off, then it means she may have fewer viable eggs. I am making a guess here, but I wonder if the higher FSH level is due to the body having to work harder to produce a good egg.???

If anyone is concerned about conceiving, see your ob/gyn and they can run some pre-pregnancy tests to check for this, as well as test for Rubella and RH factor and stuff that may impact a pregnancy.

~A~

Old 08-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #13
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

oh i know exactly what you are talking about. That is the problem the wife of my cousin has. High FSH therefore she has a hard time for getting pregnant. She is got since young. She has not being able to conceive because on top of her problem my cousin has low sperm count. If his sperm was fine they would have been able to conceive. I think I heard JLo has the same problem.

Last edited by nightangel73; 08-05-2006 at 10:22 PM.

Closed Thread