It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

DissolveGurl HB User
Baby Not Visible Yet?

So I went to the ER last nite because I was having horrible cramps and the teeniest bit of spotting. After everything was done, and they did the ultrasound, the doctor came and told me he still didn't know what was going on. In addition to my cervix being irritated (which he said he couldn't treat because it could hurt the baby) they could not see the baby. He gave me the following reasons: it may just be too early. i'm only 5 weeks pregnant. it could be that i lost the baby already (not likely because i never had more than just a spot of blood). it could be ectopic. or......because my ovarian cysts that i've been dealing with for awhile now (and was wrongly told a couple weeks ago have shrunk to almost nothing) haven't gone away, just gotten bigger, and when you get pregnant they're supposed to go away. it may be that the egg implanted itself in one of the cysts, which he said would be a mess. So he said all I can do is wait 48 hours, and then come back to do a blood hormone test to see if the count has multiplied as it should and they can go from there. I am now terrified and even though this pregnancy was unplanned I do not want to lose the baby! Has anyone else ever had the baby not show up in the ultrasound at 5 weeks? I'm hoping that it's just too early =/

Old 08-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Re: Baby Not Visible Yet?

no, at 5 weeks you can't see the baby. my doctor's office asks that you wait until you are 6 weeks before you even come in, because you can't see the baby before that. with my first baby, i went at 6 weeks and 4 days and all it looked like was a little grain of rice. you could barely see his heart flickering.
so hopefully that is all it is, and the pain is from your cyst. although it wasn't severe, i did have cramps, like i was going to start for several weeks, maybe even the first month. so maybe it's just that. and the blood could be from your cervix. because i know at the end of pregnancy when they checked me i bleed, and the dr. said it was because my cervix was sensitive.
i will keep you in my prayers, because like you my first was unplanned, but i was so excited.
keep us posted.

Last edited by lovemybabyboys; 08-05-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
(female)

DissolveGurl HB User

Thank you...and that's very reassuring to know it doesn't show up this early! I just hate how doctors put all these aweful possibilities in your head before they know anything and you just have to sit and wait and feel helpless. I will update after I go back Monday...and thanx again for the little bit of reassurance!

Old 08-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
(female)

babyangel2 HB User

Hi,
I was reading your post and the same thing happen to me. They could not find the baby. They thought it was just to early but decieded to check my HCG level. The first time ( on a Thursday) it was 343. Then they checked it agian on day four ( I had to wait through the weekend before they could check again) it was 737. The HCG level is suppose to double every 48 hours and mine was not. It was suppose to be around 1400 -1500 so they told me I would miscarry. I ended up having a miscarriage 3 weeks later. I would have you doctor check your HCG level, if it is doubling that means the baby is growing. But you still should have the doctor do another ultra soud in a week and make sure it is not in the tubes. I had a high resoltion ultra sound done around 6 weeks and they said the baby was in the uterus but was the size of a four week baby. I hope in your case your baby is fine and you don't have to go through what I did. The only good thing out this was I was able to prepare myself for a loss .I will be praying for you!

Amy
29y / DH 37
1 miscarrriage March 23,2006
IUI Aug 2,2006

Old 08-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
(female)

moonstarlet HB User

I went for an ultrasound at 5 weeks and 1 day and all they could see is a possible sac. I was told that at 6 weeks it would look like some beans.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
(female)

Just~A~ HB User

Yes, at 5 wks, they should see the gestational sac, but I have heard that sometimes it's hard to find. I wonder if it depends on how experienced the sonographer is at finding those early signs. I went to an RE to get pg, so they did several u/s early on, and that's all the sonographer does - she looks at uteruses (sp.?) and ovaries. She was good at finding even the earliest evidence of a hb around 6.5 wks.

My rt. ovary was twice the size of the left from the fertility drugs. I experienced quite a bit of cramping for about 4 wks. It SHOULD shrink because you are longer ovulating (which helps). I hope they keep an eye on it, dissolvegurl.

Let us know how it goes.

~A~

Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
(female)

ilovethedwf HB User

At my first dr. appt, I had an ultrasound. It was a vaginal one -- not the one on top of your stomach. Anyways, they determined I was 5.5 weeks -- and we could see the baby's sac. It looked nothing more than a black spot amidst a bunch of grey, with a smaller white spot inside, the doctor referred to as a "yolk" and he wasn't kidding.

He wanted me to come back in one week to see the heartbeat. At 6.5 weeks, we saw the heartbeat on the screen . . . but it just looked like a little flutter amidst a blob of nothing -- definitely not shaped like a baby.

At 10 weeks, we saw the baby jumping around like a little jumping bean (I drank orange juice before my appointment to wake her up).

I wouldn't stress about the ultrasound. You may have had someone who didn't know what they were doing or they may have been using older/less sensitive equipment. At this stage, I think the doctors are more concerned with adequate hcg levels.

Closed Thread