It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User
Hypertention Or Preclampsia ?

Before I got pregnant I had to take bp meds once in a while because when I got stressed my bp would go up. I had a ectopic my 1st pregnancy so this 2nd pregnancy has been both a blessing and a stressfull time. I am starting my 7th month now and for about a month my Doctor's nurse monitoured my bp on a weekly basis because I would be stressed during my appointments until after I heard the baby's heartbeat and the Doc told me everything was fine. At my most recent appt. I had a little bit of swelling in my ankles, hardley noticable, and I haven't been drinking much water lately. When the nurse took my bp it was about 102/96 and she even said she thought the cuff was a little small. The 2nd time a different nurse took the bp on the same arm with the same cuff only she didn't squeeze it so tight and my bp went down to about 110/80. The Doc came in and said my bp is in the normal range but he wants me to take blood tests and another ultrasound to check for hypertention or signs of preclampsia. He said I could just simply have high bp which could be solved with medicine. He said he wasn't worried but just wanted me to be checked anyway. I tried to tell him that his regular nurse (out of town) checks my bp and she never had a problem with it she understands it goes up when I get stressed. I also told him the cuff was too small and on top of being stressed from work that day that I was already feeling like crap because I had a sinus infection. He says he wants the ultrasound to check to see that the baby is growing fine. He says if the amniotic fluid is low or the baby is growing slow it could indicate preclampsia or something. He told me the baby's head was down below and I have felt little kicks there plus up higher by or above my belly button, which I assume is the baby's feet. Also during my 20 week ultrasound, he measured a little over 21 weeks. So I know he is growing! Anyone else had ethier of these problems before (hypertention/preclampsia)? If you don't mind telling me, what happened to you and the baby?

Last edited by alleycat2; 08-06-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: Hypertention Or Preclampsia ?

hi alley
i am glad you are being monitored well. my first pg was a m/c so i understand what you mean about the stress in a second pregnancy. at 7 months in this last pregnancy -my ds is now 5 months, i became ill bp was still normal like the readings you wrote in your post are. i was drinking ++++ fluids i had bad odeama and felt generally unwell. my ds was delivered at 36 weeks by section because my liver was up the shoot and affecting ds. the point being i am glad they are monitoring you. your readings you list are normal so i don't get why the doc says you have high bp. oh and with me they are still checking my history and thing preeclamptic toxemia or hellp. having scans mean to me they are doing a good job for you. best wishes- i am not sur ei have helped you out but hope i have been of some use

Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
(female)

Donte HB User

Alleycat - My experience was a little different than yours. My history is rheumatoid arthritis/lupus since 2003. At 14 weeks, I started swelling in my ankles/legs/feet and had high liver enzyme count. The high risk doctor was a little concerned about preeclampsia/hellp, but not too concerned because it generally doesn't present that early. My bp was normal and the baby was growing two weeks ahead of schedule. The liver enzymes eventually went back to normal and bp stayed normal throughout the pregnancy. However, the swelling continued most every day. I went in for a csection at 38 weeks and everything was still fine, but my swelling never went away after the birth. In fact, it increased. I thought nothing of it. 7 days after my baby was born (now 5 weeks old) I called my doctor for severe headache that wouldn't go away. I went back to labor and delivery where they found my bp was high, liver enzymes high and protein in my urine. All symptoms of preeclampsia. So, I was diagnosed with postpartum preeclampsia. I believe my body was working up to this for most of the pregnancy, but thank God nothing fully developed until after my baby girl was born. I was treated with magnesium sulfate for 48 hours and stayed in the hospital for 6 days. I am now on bp meds to keep it under control for who knows how long.

Just keep an eye on things and let the docs check things out to be sure. It's probably okay, but it's better to be safe. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

My son is five months old and I had pre-clampsia when I was pregnant with him. He is my first child and I'd never had any high blood pressure before. At 34 weeks I showed signs of pre-clampisa bc my bp was 150/102, pretty bad. I also gained like 12 pnds in two weeks. I was in and out of the hospital (non-stress test, 24 hour urine test) and on stricted bedrest until 37weeks (was also told to stay stress free, hah!). Since my bp wasn't going down, I was induced at 37 weeks bc my midwife and high rish dr doesn't believe in the meds for bp. When my son was born, we found out the cord had been around his neck..which we had no sign of because he was moving like crazy and had a great heartbeat the whole time. He was born very healthy and to this day his one crazy little boy!

I'd ask your dr for other options. I mean, you did have high bp before but taking meds is just to help prolong having to induce or to wait for natural labor. I hope things get better. You bp doesn't seem to be to bad yet, but it can go from okay to bad in a split second, ecspecially if you are stessed. My advice (like everyone elses LOL) is to relax, take in the fluids also. I was water fen at the end of my pregnany, I was drinking nothing put water the whole day, I'd wake up in the middle of the night for a tall glass of ice water! Good luck!!

Closed Thread