It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

blondegirl84 HB User
Exclamation test accuracy?

hi my period is 5+_ days late and i tried a HPT. it said the results would show after 2 mins, but there was an immediate + sign and the control window didn't even show until 5 mins.... i am thinking this may be an inaccurate reading. it listed many factors that involve me having a false reading, such as recent stoppage of the Pill, stress, too much/too little urine, expected period....

i have taken HPTs before and the negative results always took the full time. im am going to go buy another one later on or maybe try again in a few days as it suggests.....

anyone have any advice? thanks.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User
Re: test accuracy?

The test is positive. I have had the same thing. I take a bunch of tests when I am pregnant just for reassurance that the lines aren't fading (4 miscarriages). Crazy, I know, but the positive sign always shows first. Plus, on all the tests I've done, the urine makes it to the positive/negative line before the control window. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
(female)

blondegirl84 HB User

thank you from another sara with no H

Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GoldenMom HB User

Many times a positive will show up very quickly. It's not unusual at all. You are pregnant!!

Last edited by GoldenMom; 08-07-2006 at 01:08 PM.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
(female)

blondegirl84 HB User
Exclamation Re: test accuracy?

i posted this in women's health also....

the more i think about it, the more i am believing it may be a false reading... my boyfriend & i haven't been as sexual as the past and when we have, we have been using condoms and being very smart about it. i went off my birth control about 2 mos ago and last month my period was a little strange, barely there. i have all the symptoms of PMS (cramps, irritability) but no symptoms of pregnancy (no nausea, no breast tenderness,etc) and keep feeling as though i am definitely getting my period. i also read today that an ovarian cyst can cause a false reading and sketchy period. that, too, makes me wonder because i've been having odd cramps in my left ovary lately and the same thing happened to me in high school and i ended up passing a cyst. i also have a feeling of dampness throughout the day and i run to the bathroom b/c i am SURE it's my period, but i ends up being nothing. i also have a slight discharge which i usually have during ovulation. anyone experienced something similar? i never heard of normal cramps or ovarian cramps during pregnancy? thanks!

Old 08-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GoldenMom HB User

Most newly pregnant women think that they are going to get their period any minute because the cramping is very common. Another common thing to notice is an increase in discharge.

I highly advise that you visit your Dr and have a pregnancy test done. If you are, you need to know for sure and if you aren't, perhaps the Dr can help you understand what the real problem is.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
(female)

greyash HB User
Lightbulb Re: test accuracy?

My doctor said the chances of a home pregnancy test giving a false negative are kind of high. The chances of a home pregnancy test giving a false positive are like next to none. Go see your doctor.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

I was off b/c for 2 months and we were being very careful...except that 1 time on day 14, he forgot to pull out. I thought for sure I wasn't pregnant. I kept feeling like I would get my period. I didn't feel anything like I did with my last pregnancy where I knew before I was late. Sure enough, I was pregnant. I had a lot of early cramping due to a dermoid cyst on 1 ovary and a corpus luteum (pregnancy) cyst on the other. I agree with the others...go to the doctor. False positives are rare. Especially if it comes up so quickly.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondegirl84
We have been using condoms and being very smart about it.
Condoms are not 100% effective. I agree that you should go see your doctor.

Last edited by misip; 08-08-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Closed Thread