It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

oohjo56 HB User
What brand of prenatal vitamins?

Just curious what brand of prenatal vitamins everyone else takes? My doctor told me to just get over the counter ones and I've been taking OneSource Prenatals and they make me sick. Although with my other pregnancies, I took the prescription kind, they were huge purple horse pills, and they made me sick as well. So I was curious what everyone else took and do they make anyone else feel like crap after taking them?

Thanks
Jo
#3 EDD 4/4/07

Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

Just~A~ HB User
Re: What brand of prenatal vitamins?

That sounds awful, Jo! My OB office gave me some free samples of brands that have extra B-6 which is supposed to help alleviate nausea. I haven't tried them yet b/c I went for the ones with citracel (TMI!!). There are tons of choices out there, although the tabs don't look small. Some even come with an extra type of omega or something (not fish oil, but similar and safer) that's supposed to help with brain development. I hadn't heard that one.

I wonder if it would help to call your OB and let them know the OTC ones are making you nauseous?

Good luck,
~A~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

I'm taking ''pregnacare'' at the moment but i found they do make me feel sick too. the best way to avoid this is to make sure your always taking them on a full stomach, i always take them last thing at night so when they kick in im about to go to sleep anyway, hope this helps

Last edited by gemmalou; 08-09-2006 at 01:05 AM.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #4
(female)

GloryGurl HB User

Hi There, Just wanted to let you know that should you not have any luck finding an prenatal vitamin that does not make you sick, you could try and take the Childrens Chewable Flinstones. Thes are just as good and are also recommended by many Obstetricians!
I couldnt take the prenatal vitamins for the same reason so i took the Flintstones throughout all of my pregnancies. (I have 5 children)

Hope this helps,
Glory

Old 08-09-2006, 04:03 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I take Target brand and they have never made me sick. They are not very big either like some other vitamins.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I bought Walgreen's brand when they were Buy-1-Get-1-Free. I also received 3 different sample packs from the OB's office. He told me I could take any brand I wanted... buy by price was his advice. Just ensure enough folic acid.

When I was really nauseous all the time the ask-a-nurse hotline told me to get a B-complex vitamin to help... they didn't do anything for me. My OB said that he hadn't had good luck with his patients getting any relief from B vitamins either. The only thing it does for me now that the nausea is gone is to make me sick every time I open the cupboard where that bottle is stored! I guess I'll have to throw 'em away...

Old 08-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
(female)

renau2e HB User

I tried a whole bunch of vitamins and they all made me sick ... I couldn't eat enything without pucking it back up.
My doctor put me on a prescription for "Pregvit" ... you take 2 pills a day, pink ones in the morning and blue ones at night. According to my doctor, when you mix certain minerals with other types of vitamins/minerals, you will become sick. These pills separate the 2 from each other and provide for maximum absorbtion.
Maybe you can ask your doc about Pregvit? THey seem to be working great for me!!

Sarah

EDD- Jan. 6th, 2007 (1st baby!)

Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

I take Duet-DHA. I really like these because they have an easy to tolerate iron so I'm not nearly as constipated as with other prenatals. And they have the extra omega-3 capsule which is good for baby's brain and vision development and also good for your skin and hair. I always feel like if my pee doesn't turn green, the vitamin doesn't dissolve quickly enough...which is usually the case for me using OTC drug store brands. Otherwise, I find that the ones at the health food stores are pretty good.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
(female)

greyash HB User

I take the Duet - DHA as well. They are prescription, but they never made me sick at all or constipated like the otc ones. I take them on a full stomach and when my morning sickness was the worst I found that if I ate something and took them before I even showered or anything in the morning my sickness was much better. If I didn't eat immediately or waited to take the vitamins till later I was sick all day. I really like these because they have two pills - one with regular vitamins and one with DHA (like in fish) which is really good for babies eyes and brain. It makes me feel like even on days that I don't eat great, at least my guy is getting what he needs. My doc said the OTC ones aren't good because they don't have the reccommended dosage of folic acid which is essential.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
(female)

Mommy's Girl HB User

I take PrimaCare. It also has the DHA in it for brain and vision development. I have always had problems with vitamins and nausea but this one works great for me. It's not small but it is in a capsule which is easier for me to handle. I have taken this one in the morning, night, full stomach and empty stomach and it has never made me sick. This is the first vitamin I have ever been happy with and I'm hoping to continue taking it once the baby is born. They say that the additional DHA can benefit vision and brain development for the first year. I do take my vitamin right before I go to be so if it were going to make me sick, I'd be asleep already. Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

i get CVS brand's Today's Life......never been sick.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
(female)

JoJo's Girl HB User

I take Nature's Plus and they work great for me.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
(female)

oohjo56 HB User

Thank you all for your advice. My first visit, even though just the nurse interview, I will mention something about the pills making me sick and see what she suggests. It seems that a lot of you are doing good with the CVS brand so many I will try them in the mean time.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #14
(female)

mum2three HB User

I take Premesis RX. This is by script only, and its for people who have morning sickness during pg.It supposed to help reduce it Maybe bring this up.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
(female)

Rachel ann HB User

Stewart's- purple bottle

Closed Thread