It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

oohjo56 HB User
Not eating enough for baby..

With as much as I post, you would think I was a first timer. My first two pregnancies were not that bad. But this third one is just killing me. I feel sick all the time. I get so hungry and then go to eat and after two bites, I feel sick and have to stop eating. My food for today consisted of 2 bites of an italian sub for lunch, a few animal crackers for a snack and a few bites of steak and mashed potatoes for dinner. I just can't eat. I just hope that I am getting at least enough to provide nutrients for the baby. Any I'm only at 6 weeks! It just seems that no matter what I eat, it just makes me so sick and I can't eat. Anyone else have this problem? It did help me give up smoking quickly though, as each drag of cigarette made me gag. (So that's a plus!)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jo

Last edited by oohjo56; 08-09-2006 at 07:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User
Re: Not eating enough for baby..

Don't force yourself to eat! The baby is still getting all of the nutrients it needs from the stores your body has. Just the thought of food made me feel sick in my first trimester, but my little man has done just fine and has grown right on schedule.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

You can always ask your doctor for a Rx of Phenegran or Zofran, two drugs that help combat nausea. Of course, as with anything else, they come with their own side effects, such as constipation.

Just make sure you are able to gag down your prenatal vitamin everyday!

And maybe try some foods that may not be so harsh -- that Italian sub was probably a bit much. How about chicken noodle soup, saltine crackers, a banana? Remember this mnemonic: BRATT-- Bananas, Rice, Apple, Tea, and Toast. Whenever you have nausea, whether from pregnancy or otherwise, the BRATT diet will give you some sustenance without being hard on your stomach. Oh --- and don't add anything to the toast. Fats can also be difficult to digest.

Good luck.

"And this too shall pass..."

Old 08-09-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
(female)

heathy_mama HB User

I am 24 wks now and I still sick frequently and am on pills for the nausea, but i was way worse in the beginning and i understand. i was just as worried because you do feel guilty that your not giving the baby enough. but remember every ounce of food you eat will nourish the baby before you. its you whose health you have to be concerned. just drink lots of fluids. take a prenatal vitamin (at night seems to be better, since the iron levels make peoples stomachs upset) and trust your cravings. I also found that immediately after being sick my stomach could handle food since it was more setteled right after, before the next time comes again, so id stuff what i could down then. and even if it comes back up sometime after that doesnt mean that some nutrients weren't absorbed from the food while it did sit in your stomach. i found the hungry feeling very uncomfortable too.. carnation breakfast shakes seemed to help me out (most of the time), and with that you get milk and the added nutrients like protein, etc... anyways good luck you'll be fine i was happy to see my baby was growing just find when we had the 1st ultrasound... and at that time i was still loosing weight from being sick.. so the baby does get what it needs. soon enough youll be wanting to eat everything...
sorry for rambling on just want to help since i understand where your coming from.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
(female)

justpeach HB User

Big congrats for quitting smoking.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

Don't worry too much. A six-week fetus needs almost no calories -- just vitamins. If you can choke the vitamin down, that's all it needs for another good month or two.

I second the congratulations on quitting smoking!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

I am having similar problems. I can get some food down but I have strong aversions. I can barely look at vegetables for some reason, and quite a few other foods. Today I'm going to run out and get some of those Ensure shakes and some cans of V8 juice (not sure if I'll be able to take the V8 juice, but I'll try). My vitamins often make me sick, so sometimes I skip them and just take a folic acid pill, which is the most important part apparently.
It's hard, isn't it? I'm having twins and worry that they're not getting what they need. I wake up in the night with a pain in my chest and hunger pains, so I sometimes eat a banana (but last night I brought that right back up).
I guess we just have to do the best we can.
I'm at 8 weeks not so I'm hoping everything will settle down within the next 4 or 5 weeks.

Last edited by marriot; 08-10-2006 at 07:54 AM.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

oohjo, i know exactly how you feel, i am 6 weeks and 5 days and i feel so sick all the time but never get to the point of actually being sick, sometimes i feel hungry and ill have like 2 or 3 bites of something then i am so full and want to be sick again when i get home from work the thought of dinner makes me feel ill, im also having problems with drinking water, i cant seem to drink any kind of liquid without feeling queazy, but, on the positive side i guess these are just signs that our little beans are growing away and that puts me at ease a little as my last pregnancy ended in a m/c. i also wear something called sea bands. they work by having a little bead that goes onto your pressure point on your wrist which is also said to help ease morning (or all day as it seems) sickness.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:39 AM   #9
(female)

Kathp HB User

Hi Gemmalou

It's really great to see you made it on to the pregnancy board! Just want to say a huge congratulations... here's to a happy, healthy and soon to be sickness-free pregnancy!

Old 08-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

thanks kath, ive been holding out to post on the prego board but i just cant help it.
finally made an appt with the dr, 6th of september, it was supposed to be this wednesday but i gotta work then dr's on hols for two weeks,,, nice for some i guess

Closed Thread