HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/)
-   -   Single Vessel in the Cord (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/417992-single-vessel-cord.html)

My5Cats 08-10-2006 07:18 AM

Single Vessel in the Cord

Hello. My friend T. is 26 weeks pregnant. She had two first trimester ultrasounds done (mostly due to switching doctors a few times) that looked good. Then she had her 20 week ultrasound and found out she was having a boy! They couldn't finish the study because the baby wouldn't cooperate. She went back to finish the study yesterday and they discovered that the baby was breech, and that there is apparently only one blood vessel in the cord. So now she has to go to another hospital to get another ultrasound done (possibly a level II u/s?). As far as I know her AFP testing came back normal. Does anyone here know what the implications are when are baby only has one blood vessel in the cord?

-Diana

lovemybabyboys 08-10-2006 10:34 AM

Re: Single Vessel in the Cord

usually there are 2 arteries and 1 vein. i have the knowledge of only one case. i have a friend who had a baby with a 2 vessel cord. he was born at 26 weeks. he has had numerous complications. he had a cleft palate, heart problems, stomach problems, mental retardation and alot more. he is now 5 and doing well considering all that he has been through. they said he would never be able to sit, crawl, or walk. and he can sit and crawl the fastest i've ever seen. :) and i'm sure he will walk one day. he also has a feeding tube in his stomach, he has never eaten anything by mouth. he has had numerous surgeries on his heart. and although he can't talk, he understands alot of what you say. he is very sweet and affectionate.
and as far as i know i think dr.s relate most of his problems to the 2 vessel cord.
so i'm sure your friend will have a long road in front of her. just be there for her. like i said, this is the only case i have ever heard of, so all may not be that severe. and i think it matters that they know before, because i don't think they knew with her baby, that is why he was born so early. so there may be things they can do in utero. lets hope so.
i will keep them in my prayers.
good luck.

Beyondthesky37 08-10-2006 09:40 PM

From what I heard two-thirds of babies who have this are completely normal. There is a slight chance there could be birth defects which is why they're doing the other ultrasound. But an advanced thorough ultrasound should pick up any major ones. If the ultrasound looks normal and the doctors think everything is ok than it probably is. I hope evrything turns out alright for your friend and her baby.

bxr35 08-11-2006 06:02 AM

Are you sure there's a single VESSEL in the cord, as opposed to a single ARTERY? I don't think it would be possible for a fetus to survive with only one blood vessel, as you need one vein to bring nutrients in and one artery to take wastes out. A normal placenta has three vessels: one vein and two arteries.

If your friend's placenta has two blood vessels, and the ultrasound didn't show any problems, the baby is probably fine. In 20 or 25% of cases with only two vessels, there's something wrong with the baby, but in all the rest the baby is fine.They say if the ultrasound doesn't show any problems then the baby is most likely fine.

ibelieve 08-11-2006 07:38 AM

A dear friend of mine had this too. Had to go get the Level 2 US and they were a nervous wreck. But all was fine. He is a normal 2 yr old now. She did say they kept looking at his kidneys throughout the pg, and I think he had to have an US of his kidneys at birth.

HTH.
-believe :angel:

My5Cats 08-11-2006 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=bxr35]Are you sure there's a single VESSEL in the cord, as opposed to a single ARTERY?[/QUOTE]

She said VESSEL but I am sure shemeant ARTERY. And apparently, everything else looks good with the baby, and the ultrasound tech said they might even find the other blood vessel in the next ulrasound, they are just making sure. Thanks for the input!

-Diana

mom26 08-17-2006 06:41 AM

Three years ago when pregnant with my 4th I had a very similar situation. I had a more in depth U/S and that is when the 2 vessel cord was discovered. My baby was also a boy and breech which they thought in my case was due perhaps to my age which was 37 then. Anyway, he was full-term delivered by c-section because he was complete breech and was completely healthy weighing 8lbs. 8oz. HTH

My5Cats 08-18-2006 08:05 AM

Thank you for all of your responses. She had her better ultrasound on Wednesday and the baby wad diagnosed with SUA (Single Umbilical Artery). Everything else in the ultrasound looked good, so the docs told her that her main concern is low birth weight. SO we are all relieved! Also at her previousultrsound the baby was breech, but it seems to have flipped.

-Diana