It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

blondegirl84 HB User
healthy habits to prevent miscarriage

hi i have been reading everything about how to avoid miscarriage online and everything contradicts itself. one thing said not to take St. john's wart or drink pomegranate juice and other sites say not to worry if u kept taking birth control while u could've concieved and then other sites said it could abort the baby.

does anyone have any advice on what to eat/what not to eat, herbal supplements to take/not take, etc? thank u!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
(female)

Lola26 HB User
Re: healthy habits to prevent miscarriage

My advice is to err on the side of caution, especially with herbal supplements. There are only a few herbs that are considered safe during pregnancy, and even then, should be taken in small doses. I drank ginger tea throughout my first trimester to help with nausea (1 cup/day), a folic acid supplement, a calcium pill, and a prenatal vitamin. That's it. Just eat lots of fruits and veggies and take your vitamins, and (unless you have an existing medical condition, including low iron levels, in which case you'd need an iron supplement) you shouldn't need anything else.

Last edited by Lola26; 08-11-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Aside from putting dangerous substances in your body (dangerous insofar as causing harm to the embryo) and from getting a direct blow to the abdomen (or being in some sort of extreme accident), there is very little you can do to prevent a miscarriage. A miscarriage is just your body getting rid of something that would not have been viable later, or is telling you that it can't handle carrying a child to full term. It's natural and spontaneous.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Having had a miscarriage, you can bet I looked into what and everything that I could have done differently to prevent it. My doctor told me that, sadly, there is nothing, nothing, nothing that you can do or avoid doing that will prevent a miscarriage.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 08-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi
i have a 5 month old ds but before him i had a m/c i tell you there is nothing i did to cause it and therefore nothing i could do to prevent it. yes m/c is 1in5 or 1in4 pregnancies depending on what you read. all m/c literature says m/c unless you have problems that cause recurrent m/c -( more than 3 m/c) is unpreventable. yes m/c is devestating to lose a much wanted baby and yes i worried in my pregnancy with ds. so if you have had a previous m/c be reassured you are most likely to not m/c again. wishing you well don't stress enjoy your pregnancy. best wishes for your little nipper

Old 08-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
(female)

AGemini HB User

I would stay away from herbal supps. I know my OB told me too

Closed Thread