It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

PrasannaS HB User
Too many Braxton Hicks at week 25? Need your advice

We are in a dilemma and need your advice.

I am 25 weeks currently, 2 weeks back (at 23 weeks) I had contractions, I rushed to the hospital and they out me on observation monitoring my contractions, (it was oner 12 minutes or so). They gave me terbutaline shots, it controlled my contractions and did a fibronectin test which came -ve(assuring that I wouldn't go into labor in the next 2 weeks). They let me go home and asked me to rest and take Ibuprofen 600mg for 7 days. My cramp like contractions completely stopped in the next 2 days. After week I have tapered the dosage of Ibuprofen and at present taking it only as needed.

Even now I feel hardening of my uterine muscles at times everyday. Is it common to have Braxton Hicks so often at this stage in pregnancy. My doctor has been monitoring my cervix lenghth, it is 3 cms from the last 2 weeks.

I have an international travel planned 6 months ago on August 18th. My doctor has been non commital about this. One of my flights 14 hours long. I am travelling for my sister's wedding and would not want to miss if possible. I have another transvaginal u/s tomorrow to make a decision.

We are still undecided. Your inputs will help us make a decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
(female)

oohjo56 HB User
Re: Too many Braxton Hicks at week 25? Need your advice

It is normal to have Braxton Hicks, but it is not normal to have, I believe, more than 4 an hour. If you get the more frequently you need to call your doctor to be seen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

That's a difficult question. I'd have to skip the trip and wedding and hope my sister understood. In fact, I'd bet no airline would want you as a passenger if they knew you'd been having contractions and had been medicated to stop them.

As much as you'd love to be at the wedding, is it worth taking a chance on having your baby much too early, far from home, and maybe high in the sky?? That is the real question. Even the best doctor in the world cannot assure you that it's totally safe for you to go that far. You may not like the best answer.

You could probably get a refund on your tickets with a note from your doctor, too.

Bummer - but better safe than sorry..... and you asked for opinions.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

My doc told me to tell them if I had more than 4 BH in an hour... I'm 24 weeks.

As for the trip, my doc said "no planes, trains, or automobiles" after 32 weeks... meaning that regardless of the method of travel, don't go more than a few hours from home after that point. But, I haven't been given any restrictions like you have. I, too, am at risk for pre-term labor due to a large fibroid (10 cm), and am having bi-weekly transvaginal ultrasounds to measure cervical length.

Unless you bought refundable tix you are not going to get a refund, though usually you can use the value of the tix towards another flight (minus a fee) within a year. Notes from doctors don't get you very far with an airline (unless it's to carry a "banned" liquid or gel for medical needs... ha!). I would definitely stay home and protect my baby, as hard as that may be. Hopefully you can watch a video of the ceremony and reception and maybe call and talk to your sister the day of the event... I'm sure she would understand.

Also, my perinatalogist told me that ibuprofen is ok to take until 32 weeks, but not after that. He told me to take it for back aches and for any pain the fibroid causes me.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
(female)

PrasannaS HB User

Thanks for your responses, I think it is better to err on the side of caution. Although it is a difficult decision to make as I am doing fairly well now and haven't had any major contractions.

Nevertheless I still feel hardenning of my uterine muscles at times. It is not noticable at all times. I have to have my finger tips on the abdomen to actually feel it hardening. At times when I am at work I fail to notice it when I am busy with other things. However, I read that even this should be treated as a contraction.

Anyone else having such experiences?

Closed Thread